If this doesn't make you cry.....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Kentuckian, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Kentuckian

Kentuckian New Member

2. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Geez.........there for a moment I was afraid it was going to be Colts!
  3. Sylentsniper

Sylentsniper New Member

what kind of guns are those?
  4. Kentuckian

Kentuckian New Member

Tokarevs and Makarovs.
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

What a shame. It could of been far worse if they would have been Glocks. :D
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

:eek: :eek: :( :( That is a crying shame :(
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I'm sure they were paid for. Some greeny out there thinking he can save the world by paying Estonia to tear them up.. Just think; they may be reincarnated as Walthers.......... or bedpans.
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Oh, the humanity!
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

OH MY GOD. Where was Century when you needed them?????

And I don't even own a Tokarev yet, WHAT a waste...

And ALL those Makarovs too...But then again maybe it IS Century trying to drive up the wholesale price of bulgarians, what BUMS.... :mad: :mad:

Hey PS, they recycle glocks with all the two liter bottles, plastic dinnerware, and old tupperware into mattel toys don't they? Or else just bury them in a normal garbage dump since they usually all have blow up beyond salvage anyway so they don't even need "dewatted...."...they don't use the scrapyard for them like REAL guns... :p
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  10. Sylentsniper

Sylentsniper New Member

I take it they are Quality guns?
  11. lead

lead Active Member

Both were sidearms carried by communist bloc police and military personnel. The Tokarev was a generally well made gun, single action, a copy of a Browning design. The Mak was a double action gun, that is a favorite with alot of collectors. Russian and East German models were especially well made.
    It's always a shame to see guns destoyed like this.
  12. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The Tokarev was developed in the 30s and was the military auto intended to replace the Nagant revolver as the main issue sidearm of the Soviet army in WWII, it never really did, but many millions were made and issued to Soviet and later Warsaw pact armies, and than later sold to and copied by the Chinese, who still use it to some extent.

It was originally chambered for the 7.62x25 Tokarev round, sort of a 7.63 Mauser bottleneck on steroids, which has been referred to as the first "magnum" high velocity handgun round. A CZ-52 in the same caliber fired at a range today gets a LOT of attention.

In fact, after the noted deficiencies of the 9x18 Makarov with regards to insufficient penetration especially against body armor, which was the round and pistol that replaced the Tokarev (the other one in the pictures getting scrapped) was, the Russians just in the last couple of years SERIOUSLY considered readopting the 7.62x25 Tokarev round as their issue pistol round, about the same time WE were reconsidering the .45ACP to replace the 9mm, which is kind of ironic....

Some, mainly Chinese versions, were converted to 9mm Paarabellum, and I even saw a few available last week at the gun show.

They are collectors items here, especially among crufflers. But one of the main problems is that safety, or lack of! To be imported, since the Clinton anti-gun years, they had to be "retrofitted" with a safety, which many were, quickly and cheaply, which subsequently looks and actually works badly, and scratches the frame badly if used!

They ARE available relatively cheaply in the US, but most are late 50s and 60s production that are NOT C&R eligible, so nobody really wants one as a "shooter," especially when the "better" CZ-52 IS available cheaper. And the few C&R eligible ones available (early 50s and before) are not much cheaper than the occasional "stock" ones floating around for sale that came into the country right after WWII up to the 60s and 70s, from both Russia and China, which are what the collectors REALLY want.

I've even seen some Polish ones advertised by SOG not too long ago, but the few CR ones they had disappeared quickly. I WANT one of those badly, even with the crappy retro safety!

Yes it is a copy of a locked breech pivot link Browning design, SORT of, although one glaring deficiency is no safety...life was cheap in a communist army. ("SAFETY? We don' NEED no stinkin' SAFETY, comrade! :p ) It probably had something to do with the same guys having endure the crappy Mosin Nagant safety for 40 or 50 years at the time!

Now the Makarovs REALLY bother me. It is a GREAT design, the automatic and round that replaced the Tokarev in the Soviet/Warsaw pact armies, and adopted by most Commie Police. The round and size of the pistol makes a decent carry gun, better than a .380 and just a LITTLE less than a 9mm Para...reliable, cheap, accurate, even the Bulgarians that aren't C&R that these look like are good shooters, and IMPORTABLE. Baikal even makes(made?) a commercial version with adjustible sights (I have one) that is as good as any of the military/police ones. (But I STILL perferred my East German, especially with the chance it was a "Secret Police" issue.If I EVER catch the bum that STOLE it he just MIGHT face it's "replacement!")

THAT really makes me think nobody wants them because it would make the botom fall out of the Makarov market HERE if that many suddenly apperared for sale.

As it is now, it wasn't too long ago when you could buy a QUALITY CR East German or even Russian military/police Mak for less than $100 from SOG or Century. And Bulgarians are still available for $130 wholesale, $150 retail, but are not CR.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  13. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

If they would of called i would of been more than gald to go over there and take all of those containers off of there hands. Then i could of found good homes for all of those lonely pistols and i would have also keep a few dozen for myself.It does bring a tear to my eye anytime i see a firearm being destroyed.
  14. lead

lead Active Member

Polish, thanks for all that good info. I learned a few things there. That's why I love this site, good info, good people, no arrogant attitudes(like some other places we won't mention).
  15. sarzak

sarzak New Member

that really hurts my feelings, knowing what an eastern bloc tok goes for these days. i really do feel like crying!