If you’re reading this, Earth has not been destroyed

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it the coming carbon tax calamity? No! It’s Asteroid 2005 YU55!

And from all over came the Prophets of doom and disaster and of the 2nd Coming...

But it passed by about 20 mins ago ( we watched ) like a very faint star that shines in the day for a bit while the angle was right , then gone again

from a mate who knows about such things ...

The 400m-wide rock (please let us know if you need this translated to Olympic swimming pool or football field units of measurement) will whiz by Earth today at a whopping 19km a second, a mere 324,600 km away. That’s closer than the friggin’ moon!

But don’t head for your swine-flu-resistant bunker, we’re going to be fine. Reassuringly, NASA says we’re not going to get smashed to bits by asteroids for 100 years. That means your bunker’s probably a good real estate investment, keep stockpiling that Spam!

Asteroids are very cool. Let us count the ways in which they are cool.

1. All those wispy-haired moonbats who believe that the movement of things in space affect their daily lives must be FREAKING OUT. Maybe when they realise that lumps of inert material far far away do not exert enough gravity to help them meet a dark-haired stranger they’ll realise the error of their Zodiac-loving ways. Or maybe not.

2. They now know some really nerdy details about what would happen if this specific asteroid actually hit Earth. Little old 2005 YU55 would create a 6.4km wide crater about 520 metres deep. It could cause 21-metre tsunami waves and shake the ground like a magnitude-7 earthquake. Woah.

3. Scientists know how to deflect an asteroid heading for Earth. According to this report, the B612 Foundation has worked out how to save us from the fate of the dinosaurs by smashing dem asteroids up, using a gravity tractor, or ‘Mirror bees’ and foil wrap. Hey if it’s got foil it’s gotta be true.

4. Scientists were also able to confirm that it does in fact look like a grey potato by pinging radio beams off it to create an image. See above.

5. Asteroids are not all the same. The European Space Agency last year discovered that the Lutetia asteroid was an ancient malformed baby planet, a “primitive ‘mini-world’ that used to be round and may even have tried to grow a metal heart like a fully formed planet”. Awwww.

so back to normal until someone else uses the old "Its the end of the world"
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Dang and I didn't even get to see it.:(
  3. geds

geds New Member

We're probably at a greater risk of being hit by space junk (that we sent up) than by asteroids. The last asteroid strike was some 60 million years ago...
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I don't think it will change their minds one iota. Once a true believer, always a true believer. The facts are just minor road bumps in thier world view.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

take a look on youtube for all the end of the world comet and asteroid junk

many supposed Christian leaders , kook's ...

no wonder a lo of folks doubt faith and God
  6. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

It's gotten to the point that you hear every other day "the earth is going to end"And here is reality it is going to end but not in my life. And I think it won't be from space but something we do on earth something we do to ourselfs.:eek:
  7. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous to think the earth isgoing to end every day. We all know it's going to end on December 21 2012.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i forget the date , but i'm betting the day after i pay off the mortgage ;)
  9. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Dang! I was hoping to wake up this morning with super powers. Still fat and weak and cant see for nothing.:mad::D
  10. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

Actually, 100's of asteroids strike earth every year. None of them are very big though... Google it you might be surprised what you find.
  11. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You have heard of the boomerang effect?
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

just slightly ;) thats where you show off to a visiting marine your expertise with a boomerang

and end up with a glass replacement bill of just on $80 ...

been there done that ..
  13. Python

Python Former Guest

You're correct, we'll do it to ourselves. But the earth will never end, "just life as we know it" will end. No one can truly say, "but not in my life".