If you aren't going to carry, act mean

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Sep 20, 2010.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Pops
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I can do that. :D

Bravo to this woman for standing her ground and preventing further injury, and maybe even death.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

No comment. (Momma didn't raise no dummy. :D )

Pops
  4. wingspar

wingspar Member

I had a bear walk into my camp last week. A remote camp. When I saw him, I was walking back towards my rig and tent with my first cup of morning coffee. He was about 8 feet up a fir tree, hanging off backwards, and watching me. The only thing I heard was his claws in the tree bark, otherwise, I had no idea he was there. He was one of the healthiest bears I’ve ever seen. Shinny jet black hair. I was about 50 feet from my camera, and about 100 feet from my guns, which were all still in the tent. I was hoping he would stay put till I could get the camera, but he did not cooperate at all, and took off in the opposite direction, and was gone long before I could get the camera.

I worked in the woods for 31 years, and I can’t even recall all the bear encounters I’ve had. I’ve even walked in between a sow and her cubs several times. They all ran. I do live in an area where bears are not used to humans, or human food, so bears around here are just as afraid of humans as most humans are of bears, if not more so. Just don’t run from them, and you will probably be ok. In areas where bears are used to humans, that might be a different story.

Makes me wonder how many times over the years I have walked past a bear or a cougar while they watched me, never knowing they were there at all.