If you had 4 choices and only 4 which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by XPerties, Aug 2, 2011.

1. XPerties

XPerties New Member

Primary uses:

- Concealed Carrying
    - Local range

Price $500 to $600

Ive looked and read many reviews. I've handled but have not shot them at local shop. I'm down to 4 types, all 9mm. If you had to pick which one would you (based on your experience) and why (if you don't mind explaining why :D )

[1] Springfield Armory XD(M) Compact 9mm
    [2] Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm
    [3] GLOCK 19 9mm
    [4] FNH FNX-9 (local shop turned me onto this, never heard or had any experience regarding this model)

Thank you in advance for all your feedback.
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

I would save my money and buy a 1911! :D
  3. jonboyc

jonboyc New Member

I'd throw the Beretta out, it's a little fatty and would be the most difficult of the bunch to conceal. With the Springfield you're usually paying for a bunch of extra crap you don't need. Both the FNH and Glock are nice so if only these 4 I'd narrow it down to those 2. However, and you may get some of this in this thread, you should really seriously check out and consider the Ruger SR9c. It's nice and compact, has the mag option of either 10 or 17 rounds(great for both conceal carry and home defense), has a wonderful trigger and also has an adjustable backstrap. The 10 round mag also comes with a pinky extension option if you don't like your pinky hanging off the end. I've shot many 9's and of the compact versions I went with the sr9c.
  4. XPerties

XPerties New Member

Thanks johnboyc! The Ruger SR9c is a lot cheaper, I'll have to give that a look at and do some searching for reviews.
  5. Redd

Redd Member

All those guns are pretty big, but I carry a P95 every day. Out of all those, I'd go with the Springfield. But like johnboyc said, look at smaller stuff.

FWIW, I looked really hard at the SR line from Ruger, pretty much the only reason I bought my P95 is because it was more affordable and had a hammer, the SR9s shoot good, but I just liked the hammer(don't know why). Get something you like because it doesn't matter how good you are with it if you left it at home on the nightstand.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Glock 19 all day long.

If you want something really light, concealable and reliable, look at the Keltec P-11 or the PF-9. Both are 9mm, both smaller, lighter, and less expensive than any of the above.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

8. Redd

Redd Member

My Dad has the P-11, he's got the 12 shot mag and the clip on the side so he doesn't even need a holster. I'd strongly recommend them.
  9. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I like the Rugers, Mines a p345 i love it.But the lc9 is great ,cheaper on ammo and is an easy carry.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

This is tough.
    1- HK USPc 9mm
    2- SA XD compact 9 or .45
    3- FNH Five-seveN
    4- My fourth one would be cheating, an Mark 23 or MP412 REX, neither of which would be worth much for concealed carry, but great at the range :D

I also never held an HK45, might like it, and I would want a snub nose revolver on their too. Argh. I guess if it had to be purely for concealed carry it would be

1- USPc 9mm
    2- XD compact 9mm
    3- XD compact 45
    4- Snub nose 357/38
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If your four choices were the only ones, I'd probably go with (1) the Beretta or (2) the FN. There is your simple answer. :)

But... I'm not really a fan of your choices there. How did you narrow it down to those? Just recommendations from your local gun shop?

If concealed carry is your first priority, you should look at some single-stack options. Thinner magazines mean that the gun itself is (likely) thinner. In my experience, it is easier to conceal a thin full-framed gun than a thick subcompact. Your experience may vary, but it's something you ought to consider before making your purchase.

The 9mm Ruger and Keltec that have been mentioned are both nice. The Walther PPS is also a good choice, but it may be at the high end of your price range. I found it for $578.

You may also want to look at some options from Kahr Arms. I don't have any experience with them, but I've heard many positive reports.
  12. savage170

savage170 Member

My 4 would be
    smith and Wesson 19
    Browning hi-Power
    Ruger sp 101

Out of your choices I would go with the XD
  13. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

+1
  14. SwampYankee

SwampYankee New Member

Out of those, I'd favor the XDM. I'd also second the suggestion of the Ruger SR9c, and toss in Taurus 24/7 C as another option. I've heard varying reports, but I have one as my EDC and I've had thousands of rounds through it without any issues.
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Out of the 4? FN. Great guns. Very controllable. They have a more efficient recoil system than any others that you mentioned. I would shoot a Glock before you decide to buy a glock. The frame rake on them does not agree with every shooter.