If you had a chance...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by BigZig, Apr 14, 2006.

1. BigZig

BigZig New Member

I am retiring in July and my loving wife said she would buy me a Once-in-a-Lifetime gun. Something I could show off and say "I got that for my retirement" kind of gun. I want something I can shoot and enjoy, not a closet queen.
    If you had this chance, what would your choice be?
    You can chose a pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun.
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I would ask, what kind of shooting do you do now? Do you hunt big game, varmints, birds, clay pigeons? Any competition shooting, what kind? Go to the range, just to do some plinking? Reload, and spend considerable time working up “just” the right load, for a certain gun? Do you like (want to own) a full auto machine gun?

You need to narrow it down a bit, if you don’t want to have a closet queen. I know many MANY people that have firearms (some REALLY nice ones too) who almost never get out to shoot them. Even though they have been invited to go to a range.
  3. Big, for me the choice would be simple: Either a custom-built Mauser in .375 H&H, or a custom-built double rifle in the same caliber. On second thought, I might choose a different caliber, like the .416 Rigby or .458 Win Mag, but the rifle choice would remain the same. I've always wanted a big cannon in case my home gets invaded by giant pteradactyls or cave bears. :D ;)
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Luger artillery model, all matching, with the shoulder stock. :D
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Well BigZig, You are in NY, so that takes out the Hi Cap & Machine Gun categories......Personally speaking, & I'm about 15 years from retirement, so the list could change..
    Wilson CQC 1911 semi-auto or..
    Feinwerkbrau pnematic Air Rifle or..
    AR 15 type rifle or ...
    nice semi auto shotgun or...
    competition grade, customized SW revolver for IPSC/Steel Challenge.

I have most of the guns I need, Now it is a matter of what I want. As Pickenup said, it boils down to what gun game you like to play. Just about any nice gun you could want, with a little custom engraving on the frame or stock, would be pretty special! :) I think you should request His & Her models, so you can spend time @ the range w/ your SPECIAL Wife. Bless Her :D
  6. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

BigZig,

Think about a .22. A custom 10-22, one of those with a bull barrel and fancy laminate stock. Or maybe a custom MK-III 22 pistol.

Either way .22 are easy, fun and cheap to shoot.
  7. BigZig

BigZig New Member

;) I guess you are right, pickenup. I should state my 'game'.
    I started shooting only three years ago (except for my service time) and have eight pistols (S&W 642 in 38 spl+p; Sig 220ST .45; Sig 226 9mm; CZ75B in 9mm; XD9; S&W Model 41 with both barrels; Ruger GP100 .357; Kimber Custom II .45.
    I have one rifle, a 10/22 tricked out with a Fajen laminated stock, bull barrel, and target trigger, and 3-9 power scope.
    I don't have any shotgun right now but I do want one for home defense.
    I also want an AR15 type weapon.
    I just put a down payment on a Dan Wesson Commander Class CBOB today.
    My main enjoyment is in shooting targets and I love the monthly matches my club throws - steel plates, bowling pins, pocket pistol, etc. We really have a lot of laughs with the 2X4 shoots where you have to cut a 2x4 in half at 10 yards.
    I think that I may just use the Dan Wesson as my gift and do as Bruce said and get some nice engraving on it. Yep, that sounds good. Thanks, Fellas. I am still open to more suggestions though...
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I delayed shotgunning for years as everyone I knew that took it up did more of it and less rifle/pistol shooting. I was right to do that because as soon as I got a shotgun that happened. Fun in spades! It really opens up the opprotunities for shooting as their seems to always be shotgun shooting going on at most clubs reguardless of your age.

I would choose a really nice over/under 12 gage shotgun. You can shoot it for years and years, even in your old age. Most gun clubs have skeet and trap ranges as that is the big money maker for the club since those ranges get used the most. $1500 to $2000 would get you one of the really nice, nicely fitted and finshed O/U'ers. They are so beautiful that you could always be proud of your "retirement gift". (Browning or Ruger or ???). If that is a bit steep price wise, there are a new batch of guns in the $500 to $1200 price range that suffer only in a minor way( CZ, Remington, Stoger, etc.). Most of those are from former Iron Curtain countries or Turkey.

Good luck in your retirement. I retired early, nearly 8 years ago and have never been so happy.

LDBennett
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A .50 bmg so you can start a converstion with. Yea I hit a bucket at 2 miles. Watch the jaws drop. But seriously I like the Colt ar's but they ain't cheap.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I can agree with LDBennett about having a real nice 12ga O/U shotgun. That was one of my first thoughts. I don’t think the kind we are suggesting would really be what you want to use for home defense though. Not saying you couldn’t use more, but it sounds like you are pretty well set for handguns.

As for an AR “type” rifle. If you are going for a .223 caliber rifle. Well, it’s not “really” an AR type, it’s BETTER. Remember you did say a “Once in a lifetime gun”

You might want to look into a Steyr AUG or USR. Once you buy the rifle, you can now buy a stock for it that allows you to use the cheaper AR mags, instead of the semi-expensive Steyr mags. The USR allows you to put any kind of scope, red dot, etc, on it, once you install a picatinny rail. About the ONLY thing you “USED” to hear that was not real good about them was the trigger pull. There is a company that now makes a part that you can install yourself, that cuts the trigger pull in half. Sweeeeet.

I use mine in 3 gun competition, and have yet to be beat by ANY of the fancy AR’s they bring. I have loaned it to people to use it to shoot at a match, they do better with it, than they do with their AR’s. They inevitably hand it back with a chit eating grin on their face, and when talking about their score they say, “It was the rifle.” :D
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

.50 BMG perhaps....
  12. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I think I'd choose a Winchester 1895 in .405 - Teddy Roosevelt's choice, too.
  13. punchie

punchie Member

Sounds like a a classic shotgun is needed. Quality built O/Us are and will be made for the forseeable future. The American classic SxS isn't :( ! The market is still appreciating at a fast pace for quality American built side by sides like the L.C. Smith, Parker, Winchester 21, etc and they are a quality gun to be treasured (and shot) for generations.
  14. BigZig

BigZig New Member

Omygosh! Now I have all kinds of ideas! Now what? Thanks, gentlemen. I will let you know when I make up my mind.
    I have been eyeing a Benelli Montefeltro for skeet. I am not good at it but the Montelfeltro just feels so natural and is very light. What do you think?
  15. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

My choice would be a Model 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer Carbine.

I've had a lifetime love affair with this gun. I've never shot one, but I once handled one. It had the smoothest bolt action and nicest trigger I've ever handled....built like a fine Swiss watch, and to me, the most beautiful firearm ever built.

To me, the firearms equivalent of another beautiful Austrian, Hedy Lamarr (whom I lusted after too.... :D ).