If you had it to do again . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, Apr 2, 2007.

1. OK, how about an utterly ridiculous fantasy, just for fun? You just rescued your fairy godmother from a fate far worse than death. You convinced her NOT to vote for Hillary Clinton. :D As a reward for such stawart and intelligent performance, she has granted you the one-time ability to turn back the clock to your choice of a younger age and relive your life from that point. Were this to happen, what age would you choose and why?

As for myself, I think I would choose 18, which would have been in 1967. I had just finished high school, and moved out of my parents' house to go to college. In the real world, I ended up attending for a bit over a year, decided I wanted to play soldier, served my time, came home, got married, had kids, got divorced, got married again, had more kids, and only when I was 38 did I finally go back to school and finish my education. If I could do it all over again, that's definitely one thing I would change. I would stay in school and finish my education, get an advanced degree, then--maybe--do the soldier thing. After that, I would teach, which is what I should have done with my life from the beginning, instead of waiting until I was in my 40s.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  2. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I would never have gotten married.
    By now I would have owned a paid-off house of my own, plus who knows what other goodies.
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

Was 18 when I got married. Have a paid off house, a great kid/professor, 4 bird dogs, 3 SUVs (all US) and a new Jag XK coupe (yep, two drivers at home but one is the dog's truck), hunted/fished all over US and Canada, lots of shooting beltbuckles/trophies, two safes chock full. I could skip part of my VN experience, but the USN gave me PG School. So, like many who work at it a bit I got more out of the service than I put into it. And, the bad times fade. Maybe I'd just go back to 18 and do it all over again!!! ... maybe not wait so long to get married. A few guns I sold I could keep!!:p
  4. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Regrets... I've had a few.... but then again... too few to mention....Dooobie doobie dooooo!
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

If I did it again I would probably mess it up worse than the first time.
    I have not been the best person but I am trying.
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

GO BACK NO WAY
    if you knew the things I have been able get through and still be alive you wouldn't even think about it.
    I have been shot, blown have way across a river, adrift at sea, shot again, beaten and left for dead, rode a helio to the ground side ways & walked away, and them wasn't the bad days!!
    And you want me to go back to 18 or so and try all that again.
    NO THANKS I will just keep on keeping on and be happy to be here with most of my body parts still attached and some even working:D
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Was just talking to the wife the other day, and one of the FEW regrets that I have, is that I never tried skydiving. (did hang glide) Other than that, (and wrecking the van, causing my back problem) I’m REAL happy with the way my life turned out.

But……..

If we had to do it over again. Back in “69” I had two friends that wanted to go truckin. I chose to go with the one where we ended up seeing Janis Joplin for free, and partying with the band all night, in Iowa, of all places. On that same trip, we went to see Timothy Leary in Missouri. Only remember parts of that “trip.” ;)

The other guy that wanted to go truckin, said something about New York. It was kind of vague EXACTLY where he was going. I had visions of concrete and buildings as far as the eye could see. No thanks. Come to find out, the term “New York” was a little misleading. It was New York, but the state, not the city.

A little place, of some notoriety, in upper New York that hosted a gathering of individuals, bands, song and dance. Would my life have taken different twists and turns, if I had chosen to go with the other friend, to Woodstock? Only my fairy godmother knows for sure.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Such a discussion is mute because its not possible. But I'll play anyway....

Age 20. Skip buying the new Dodge and keep the Pontiac...stay in college...and when i met a woman named linda.....RUN AS THOUGH THE DEMONS OF H*LL WERE CHASING ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit my grandparents more often. Alot of things...

mike
    gn
  9. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

there are a few things that i wish i could change from the past, but i think i'm in that catagory of, i wouldnt redo it even if i could.

call me tired, call me content, hell call me crazy cuz i just may be....:eek: :p
  10. Texman

Texman New Member

Man, what an option.. First off I would listen to my old man when he was telling stories. I missed so many of them and he died last year.:( WWII vet from B-24s. What stories he must have had. We are just now finding pages and pages of letters from then and pictures.. Who were those guys? And what were they doing? Well, never know now.. :confused:
    Thanks to him and all you vets.
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

While I can think of a few things I would have done differently, I am content with my present life and really wouldn't want to go back and do it again.

As with all of us, there are bits and snatches that would be a pearl, but overall, it has been a fairly good journey.....
  12. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

I would love to relive life knowing what i know now...however i don't want to relive half the crap i went through that's my personal badges of honor... Commercial fishing in Alaska and 4 yrs in the infantry wasn't the easiest.... Ahhh crap! The dilemma! :D
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Never been married, and have four adult children to prove it.
  14. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

REGRETS...I HAVE A BUNCH..BUT THEN AGAIN...I'VE LOST THE COUNT...DOOBIE DOOBIE DOO
    Pat Hurley, you crack me up! :D :D

I could have partied a bit less, for sure. Finishing college would have been smarter. D'oh!

Cant complain too much, tho. Got a pretty good bed to lie in, & a good Woman to share it with.:)
  15. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I can't say as I would want to do it again any different than the first time.

Without all the crap and mistakes I've lived thru and learned from I wouldn't be who I am today. And after all these years, I actually like myself.

I want to keep that feeling. Thanks anyway.