1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

If you love history, than you'll love this

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by edwardzbrown, Jun 23, 2009.

1. edwardzbrown

edwardzbrown New Member

I was looking around the net for info about my inheritance, and found this site.

My grandfather was an infantryman in the army. He wasn't issued a pistol, but he came across a downed aircraft, I don't know what type, but the unfortunate pilot inside was issued a pistol. My granddad didn't want to let it go to waste so he took the gun for the duration of his time overseas. Problem was the pistol grip was munched so he used two like pieces of glass from the windshield of the plane and taped the grip so he could use it. When the war ended for him, he brought it back home and had the glass shaved down so that it was a permanent addition to the pistol. check out the photo. cool part is, you can now see how many rounds you have left in your magazine.

it is an Ithaca
    United States Property
    serial number 1470882

tell me the photo worked, I couldn't see how to get it into the text, so I attached it.

Attached Files:

2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Welcome to the forum, Thats a great souviner!
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Spectacular. Thanks for sharing.
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Interesting find & story! Welcome toTFF! :)
    Is your Gramps still alive? We thank him for his service to our Country!
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks for taking the time to write it up. An excellent story and a real piece of history.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome aboad! What a neat idea, and a great peice of history! I wonder why no one is producing clear grips for the .45? Sounds like a money maker to me!
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have seen clear grips before, WW2 vintage with pictures of girlfriends set underneath. But only very, very occasionally, perhaps twice in 30 years.

This case is much more interesting because the link to the pilot and his screen.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There was a case, within the past year, I believe. Crook was caught and admitted the gun he had was stolen. Pictures of the gun were all over the web. Plexiglass grips with a woman's picture inside. "Is this your gun. Prove it and get it back." A guy showed up. "That's my father's gun, pictures are my mother, here are additional pictures."

Found it. http://gunsmagazine.com/DGR0109.html http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5291911282/m/5440071591001
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

very cool and ahead of it's time. in the 70's a company reworked a smith and wesson model 39 cut it down and install plexiglass grips to view how many rounds were left. they marketed this custom as a asp... cool gun loved the grip concept.
  10. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Welcome! What a great story! WOW!
  11. Stealie

Stealie New Member

Great story, awesome grips.