If you picked a new caliber for U.S. assault rifles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 17thfabn, Jul 23, 2006.

1. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

If you had the power to pick a new caliber for a new U.S. assault rifles what would it be?

Many here hate the 5.56mm/.223, and feel the 7.62 x 51 (.308) cartridge came down from on high from the hands of the almighty. But it has to be acknowldeged that while the 7.62 x 51 is a very effective round it is too powerful for an assault rifle that may be used in full automatic.

So what would be a round that would be powerful enough, yet be controlable in full auto mode?

I've seen articles braging up the virtues of the 6.5mm Grendel, and 6.8mm SPC rounds. They both sound like great improvements over the 5.56mm.
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Many possibilities....

How about using the 69 grain bullets instead of the 55grainers ?? Or, making a better rifle? The Russians have come up with a new rifle that is recoilless...for what caliber, I'm not sure. But the barrell actually moves with every round. We are capable of out inventing the soviets any day of the week. Our problem is motivation....

The final option is not a mere caliber change, but rather a policy change. Our enemies get outta line....we start using TACTICAL NUKES. Now thats a caliber change I'd like to see happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike
    gn
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

As I have said before......necking down the Russian .30 short to fire a 100 grainer would do everything the .223 does with more zoom. The reciprecating barreled AK 94 is.................well????

The problem is defining assualt rifle VS "BATTLE RIFLE".........you can`t have both if you only want one........you need to get over that now!

I have seen the new Springfield M1a SOCOM in FA fired and it is far from being uncontrolable in .308.........so lets not go the "you`ll be shootin the sky after three rounds"

LTS
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I like and have always liked the 7.62x39 cartridge. I have shot thousands of rounds of it they have very very low recoil. Yet it is powerful I have hunted the past couple years with it
  5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

The 7.63X39 changed to a 25X40 with an 80 to 100 gr bullet.
  6. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll change it, ever. If they do, it's going to be another light round. So, then why bother with a change? It's hard enough to get most new recruits to pass the rifle course as it is. Most shoot for the very first time during basic training. Blame anti-gun nuts for that.
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Something like the .243 would be good. Take a pick from about 6mm to 7mm and you can pretty much right your ticket. The round must have no tumble capability when fired. It must also be fed through a weapon with a direct gas impingement system or preferably tappet to keep the action clear of excess exhaust carbon. The 7.62x51 is fine though also. Really, almost anything but .223 is an improvement for a military firearm.
  8. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

50 cal hollow points would be standard issue if had a choice. War is hell, might as well use the biggest and best.
  9. danurve

danurve New Member

Afirmative.
  10. 17thfabn

17thfabn Member

Light coat, why would you want a round NOT to have tumble capability?
  11. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

A 30 caliber bullet in a rifle that would be aimed and shot not held at the hip and sprayed, one shot one kill simple as that. If you need the full auto spray and pray for every troop then some one didn't do their intel work, simple as that. yes a squad machine gun is needed just in case but not a full auto for every troop in the squad, teach them to shoot is a better idea.
    My 2 cents
    Ron
  12. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem. ONE caliber cannot met the demands of modern warfare.

If I were the King of America, my fighting men would be asigned calibers based on skill.
    MM would get .223
    SS would get .308
    EX shooters choice of above including 6.8SPC or something with a bit more bite - lets say 300 WSM.

If the King so desired a new caliber, he would probably go with the 6.8SPC for daily duty. Scouts would use 300 Win Mag; Light duty troops would cary the .223. All on an AR frame.

The king would also energize the CMP program and require participation in high school for at least one year and military service for two years.

I would also set up another branch of the military for peacekeeping duty only, which is quite a bit different than combat.
  13. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh IShoot, you wouldn't happen to be looking toward the east to a country like Israel would you???? """require participation in high school for at least one year and military service for two years.""""

I personally agree with your statment, it would add a lot of moral fiber to this counrty.
  14. njretcop

njretcop New Member

Well, I can tell ya this, it wouldn't be no &%^#$* 22!!!!!
  15. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Personal experience.

One son did not attend ROTC in high school. Dropped out of (mama & daddy paid for) collage, 22 years old has not held a job longer than 6 months. Still does not know what he wants to be when he grows up.

Other son 2 years Marine JR ROTC & 1 year Navy ROTC while in high school. Is now a USMC trained firefighter helping save lives. Expert marksman. Is going to night school getting his two year degree. Training to drive big, really big fie trucks. Soon to be a Journeyman firefighter. This boy was the class clown and headed for trouble until getting involved with the ROTC program.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006