IJ Boston Bulldog Questions??

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by usafvet98, Apr 29, 2010.

1. usafvet98

usafvet98 New Member

Hi everyone, I am in the process of restoring a customers Iver Johnson Boston Bulldog in 38. I got everything done but in the process of degreasing the parts a couple of springs turned to dust since they were so old. Basically, rust was holding them together.

I am looking for the cylinder pin latch spring and the trigger spring. Numrich is sold out which means they probably never had them. I cant find parts for this thing anywhere.

Anyone know where I can find parts? Cross reference for parts such as the American bulldog same parts? Worse case, I will just make them, I will just need assistance on how..

I appreciate any help I can get..

Thanks in Advance
    Brian
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

wolffe springs sell an assortment of springs use to rebuild older revolvers. you might try talking to them. the trigger return spring should not be a problem however the small v shoape flat spring used on the cylinder retainer may be hard to find.
    bill
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am not sure on that gun, but a center pin catch spring can usually be replaced with a small coil spring; it will be necessary to cut a slot in the catch to keep the spring from sliding and going vertical in the slot.

Jim
  4. usafvet98

usafvet98 New Member

Thanks guys.. I always over think things, a coil spring will work, I just have to mill out a small hole on either side to hold it in place.. Thanks again..

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I usually used a very small coil spring, not much if any wider than the latch itself. Then I cut a slot in the back of the latch just wide enough for the spring, so it wouldn't move up and down. That way, the only change was to the latch itself and an original V spring would still work if one was found and someone wanted to bother installing it.

Those springs can be found in Wolf's small spring packs.

Jim
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Dixie Gun Works also has "v" trigger return springs for old revolvers.

BTW, I have found the springs for the IJ Boston Bulldog .38 to be the same as the springs used in the IJ American Bull Dog .38 cal revolvers.
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

just thought i would add a little bit about the boston bull dog handguns. they were advertized as a lightwieght version of the american bull dog revolvers. in actual production they are the same except for the medium frame 32 S&W caliber. it is a new frame altogether smaller than the 32 and larger than the 22 american bull dog frame.

the first reference i have for the boston bull dog revolver is an 1896 iver johnson's arms & cycle works catalog (the first issued). i am sure they in production before that time. in my book i use the date of 1887 but after more research i believe it was after 1890 mostly likely in the 1892/1893 era.

at the upcoming spring houston gun collectors show (may 22 & 23, 2010) i will have a display of american & boston bull dog revolvers. there will be all four sizes and both models of the american bull dog and three sizes of the boston bull dog models. this will be the first time i have shown some of these revolvers. anybody in the the houston area that weekend should visit the show. not only for my display but the other displays by member that will be there, plus it is still the largest show in Texas.

bill
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  8. usafvet98

usafvet98 New Member

Wolff had the springs and are very nice to deal with.. Thanks for all of the help and the history.