IJ O/U

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tonygrz, Dec 11, 2011.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I recently purchased an IJ O/U shotgun. It was made by Marocchi in Italy. It's a two trigger shotgun with 26" F/M chrome lined barrels. I liked the 26" barrels but didn't like the chokes. I sent to shotgun to Mr Orland and he opened them up to skeet 1 and skeet 2. Ran my first 25 in skeet with it as soon as I got it back. Love it and have to wait until next dove season to really put it thru its paces. I may even try it out on sporting clays soon.

My question is when did IJ put this shotgun out and what's it's history??? I probably paid too much for it ($325) but that's OK. It works for me.

Thanks
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The gun was imported 1973-1978 and was officially named the 'Silver Shadow.'

Iver Johnson had just been purchased by Lou Imperato who at that time owned a firearms importing business in New York called LA Distributing. In 1974, Imperato moved LA Distributing and combined it with Iver Johnson in Fitchburg, MA. Most of Iver Johnson's product line during this time was imports, like your shotgun.

In 1977, Lou purchased most of the assets of the Plainfield Machine Company and moved Iver Johnson to that facility in Middlesex, NJ. Production turned to more in-house stuff like the Plainfield M1 carbine line and a lot of the import lines were dropped. Lou, by the way, also established the current Henry Repeating Arms that his son Anthony runs today. Lou died in 2007.

Marocchi Armi guns are alive and well today in Brescia, Italy. They no longer make entry level shotguns, at least none imported into the US that I could find.

Lou Imperato, from Henry Repeating Arms website, and the IJ Silver Shadow:

Attached Files:

3. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

thanks for the great info. It was very interesting and helpful.