IJ question

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by GaryN, Dec 12, 2009.

1. GaryN

GaryN New Member

I inherited an Iver Johnson .38 caliber five shot revolver manufactured in Fitchburg, Mass. In a previous response Mr. W. E. Goforth indicated he hadn't heard of a serial number as high as this one: H96548. Is this a revolver with collectable value? It is blued with a 3.25 inch barrel and brown plastic grips. It shows modest wear and has very slight rust. Thanks in advance to Mr. Goforth or anyone else who can shed some light on the value of this revolver.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

please post a picture of this revolver and please help me remember where i posted about the serial number. this is most likely a third model fourth variation safety automatic hammer revolver manufactured after WW11 the highest number i have recorded is H 96460. this if this is a third model it is only 88 numbers higher than the highest number known and quite possible.

bill
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. GaryN

GaryN New Member

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I've attached some photos.

The previous post I referred to was to "Old Pilgrim" on 2/23/08 on The Firearms Forum. When you indicated no serial # over 96250 had turned up it peaked my interest.

Attached Files:

4. coyote57

coyote57 New Member

Bill, if I may call you that, I too inherited and Nickel plated, 5 shot, IJ .38 passed down through 3 previous generations. Having looked at the posts throughout this forum, it's obvious you are the man who can answer the questions I have about this pistol. I believe it's a Third Model Hammerless from what I've read but, I would like to pick your brain if I can.

Top of the barrel is stamped: "IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS and FITCHBURG, MASS, U.S.A."

Bottom of butt: "PAT. AUG 25.96 and PATS PENDING"

Left grip strap: D 48814

It also has a blued trigger guard which has "48 81 4" stamped on it.

Also has a coil spring and black rubber grips with a forward facing owl.

No other markings on the pistol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

gary n,
    thanks for the pictures and where i stated about the the highest serial number on the third model fourth variation. since that post i have seen two others higher than 96250. now i have a third one even higher. so far the higest known. and the first with a 3 1/4 inch barrel, most have a 4 or 5 five inch barrel length.

coyote57,
    yes your revolver is a third model hammerless manufactured in 1911. there were 27,300 manufactured that year

here is some more information on the third model. the fourth variation with the short barrel might bring about 10 to 15% model than the prices shown.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMERLESS REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)-------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; Double top post barrel latch, with Hammer the Hammer action, nickel finish standard blue optional. Two frame sizes, four calibers, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, two piece oversize hard rubber and one piece wood grips optional. Redesigned for smokeless powder. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 14 ounces, large frame .32 Special with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ¼ ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 19 ounces; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$260 60%=$125

bill
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. GaryN

GaryN New Member

Dear Bill,

Thanks very much for the info. Does these factors impart any collectible value and, if so, would you care to offer a figure for potential sale?

Gary