IJA Sealed 8 .22 Revolver Parts?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bgranruth, Mar 14, 2009.

1. bgranruth

bgranruth New Member

After reviewing all relevant threads on Iver Johnson Arms Sealed Eight .22 cal revolvers, this question is directed to Bill Goforth:

My son-in-law recently purchased a IJA Sealed 8 .22 revolver with an octagonal 6" barrell. Barrell top inscription reads "IJA & CW FITCHBURG, MASS USA"
    The barrell side inscription reads "I J TARGET SEALED 8"
    And the serial number on the trigger guard is M12276

It has no trigger and the hammer just flops around. Everything else seems intact. What I need to know is where do I obtain parts schematics and parts for this?

I tried GPC and they only have a trigger spring and no online schematic.
    I also noticed that this item cross referenced to a Western Field model 75 and there were no parts or schmatics available for this either (at GPC).

Can you get me started in assessing the damage or repairing this revolver.

Thanks
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

there is a parts diagram for this model in my iver johnson book.

for all practical purposes the parts (except for cylinder and barrel) for the target sealed 8 are the same as those used in the large frame 38 centerfire model 1900 revolvers. the spring for the trigger is a v shaped leaf spring and the hammer spring is what is called a single leaf flat spring. this same single leaf flat spring was used on second model safety automatic revolvers and the u.s revolver co. llarge frame top break and solid frame and should be easy to find. finding the trigger spring may be a little harder, but i believe both of these springs are available new (but fitting will be needed) from wolffe springs co.

this target sealed 8 serial number M12276 was manufactured in 1941.
    bill
  3. bgranruth

bgranruth New Member

Thanks Bill. I'll try to find parts from the M1900 for this revolver.
  4. coryh

coryh New Member

Does anyone know where I can get grips for my I.J. Target Sealed 8?
  5. bgranruth

bgranruth New Member

Cory

Try Gun Parts Corp web site at :

http://www.gunpartscorp.com

they have quite a bit of parts for the IJA Sealed 8 .22 revolver. If they don't have what you need, I have some of the ones they don't have.

I've been planning to sell my revolver to them as parts, but haven't done so yet. It would cost more to fix this revolver than it will ever be worth.
  6. ak.doug

ak.doug New Member

I know this is old but here goes.
    I have and old IJ model 855 and need the gips, I was wondering if you still have your old IJ, would you be willing to sell it to me for parts or just the grips?
    Thanks, Doug
  7. bgranruth

bgranruth New Member

Doug:

I'll have to ask the owner, my grandson. Please send a contact email to my TFF username @aol.com

Thanks

Bob
  8. bpf23

bpf23 New Member

I have a friend who has a IJ Target Service 8 that is in 95% shape on all finishes. He is looking to sell for parts due to a problem with the cylinder cut outs not being deep enough. So anyone above looking to repair or replace anything other than the cylinder let me know and I will put you in contact with him. I can be reached via my username at aol.com.

Thanks,

Bruce
  9. FLES

FLES New Member

Recently inherited my Dad's I.J. Target Sealed 8, serial N37612. The cylinder is missing. I remember firing this at a young age and I believe 8 shot?? Any ideas where I can pick up one?
  10. genemck1952

genemck1952 New Member

This thread does not show if you ever got a response. Did you ever find a cylinder? If so, where? I've been looking a cylinder for about a week now and haven't had any luck yet. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for your time.
    R.G. McKenzie
  11. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Member