I'll show you mine if . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnyRobotic, Mar 4, 2004.

1. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

you show me yours?

This is the sks i just got, added a 30 round fixed mag and also a burris fullfield 2 3-9x which is so far serving very well but i need a more precise sighting in.

[​IMG]
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'll get arround to taking pics one of these days.....

Both the digital cam and this computer give me fits.....

mike
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I would highly advise losing that hi-cap detachable magazine and putting the 10-round mag back on. Your weapon, as shown, is legally classified as a "semi-automatic assault weapon", and is in violation of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, as well as section 922(r).

It's a nice looking rifle, though. Don't get me wrong... I do like it! I just don't want to see you getting into any trouble over it. :)

But since you did show me yours and asked to see mine.... here ya go. These are just my Yugoslavian models. Two M59/66's and two M59s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  5. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

it's not a detachable mag it's a fixed mag with bigger capacity, is that still illegal?
  6. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Heh heh, I missed the "fixed" part. So it's OK under the '94 AWB. But it's still a 922(r) violation.

Here's an FAQ page that I hope will help explain it: http://members.ispwest.com/LESchwartz/SKS-FAQ.html#FIXED_DISCUSS

The pertinent part is as follows:
    I have seen the BATF letter that he refers to.

The author of that FAQ has done extensive research into the legalities of the SKS, including a lot of detailed correspondence with the BATF. The general link for his FAQ page is http://members.ispwest.com/LESchwartz/SKS-FAQ.html .
  7. KTX

KTX Guest

Great guns, the first picture posted here look's like a portion of it's design is from the Ak-47 wood design. Most of the rifles here are European, yes?

And if so, why would there be such a collection of European rifles? Because they are near vintages, harder to get compared to North American rifles? And I assume cost?

Anyone here have modern military use rifles?
  8. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Modern military rifles are not generally available to the public. For close to 50 years now, the standard-issue small arms of the US military are select-fire weapons.

Fortunately for us collectors, foreign militaries are selling off their old stockpiles of bolt-action and semi-auto small arms. They are imported here to the US and sold for MUCH less than you could buy American-made firearms.
  9. KTX

KTX Guest

I'm uncertain where I see the logic there. It's not as if US military rifles are any different then other world military rifles. Is there any information on why such a ban on public distribution of US military rifles was issued?

And buying foreign rifles is purely legal...
  10. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I'm not saying that US rifles are banned. I'm just saying that select-fire weapons are severely restricted to the public, per the National Firearms Act of 1934. Since US weaponry has been select-fire for almost 50 years now, there hasn't been a lot of surplus firearms making its way into the civilian market. And besides, the US Government likes to sell off surplus arms to other friendly countries.

The M1 Garands we were seeing in Haiti are a good example.

Some surplus US weapons are available, especially through programs like the Civilian Marksmanship Program, where I bought my M1 Garand. They also have 03A3s and other USGI small arms.

Foreign select-fire weapons are also prohibited here. This is why you don't see many real AK-47s here. All the foreign rifles we import have to meet strict guidelines for "sporting purposes" or be designated as Curio & Relics by the BATF. Incidentally, the "sporting purposes" clause is part of the section 922(r) that I referred to earlier. It is illegal to modify an imported rifle into a configuration that is banned from importation as being non-sporting. SKS's with detachable magazines (or hi-cap mags) are non-sporting, according to the BATF. Therefore, it is illegal to modify an SKS into that configuration.

I'm not really sure what you're confused about.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  11. KTX

KTX Guest

I was confused about why America would allow importation of rifles, and decide to ban sells/surplus rifles (US rifles) to it's citizens. But apparently it's not as I thought it was.

Thanks for the information.
  12. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

Here's mine, I have since added a 1939 91-30 and I'm going to get a Yugo SKS before all the pretty ones are gone.:D

[​IMG]