Illegal Immigration Law in Arizona

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hogger129, Apr 17, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100416/us_time/08599198226800

I don't understand why this would draw strong opposition?

Illegal immigrants ARE and should be viewed as criminals. If they want to come here to work, they can apply for citizenship legally can't they? And why shouldn't this be a problem when a rancher got killed by one of these illegals coming across the border?

This senator Russell Pearce is absolutely right. It will let LE do their jobs. The people that are legal citizens won't and I don't see how they could be affected by this law.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

"This is the most far-reaching anti-immigration bill in memory and it turns the presumption of innocence on its head,"

Notice that this person said "anti-immigration", not "anti-illegal immigration". How they love to twist things and not tell the whole truth!
    If they are here legally, okay. If not, then they are criminals!
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Man, if only the other border states would adopt this law as well! We could stop a lot of the illegals from ever getting into the U.S.
  4. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Since it costs the USA about 340 BILLION dollars a year to house, feed, clothe and medicate this drain on our society, we need some strong voices in gov't to say enough! Can you imagine what AZ pays to keep these illegals anyway? Gotta be a huge drain on the state resources....
  5. red14

red14 New Member

Send the rest back!

More jobs, less crime, more housing, less drain on services cost.

Send the rest back!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"I don't understand why this would draw strong opposition"????

Are you being sarcastic?

Yes, illegal aliens (they are not illegal immigrants. Immigrants are legal) are criminals and should be treated as such.

But "Under SB1070, however, Arizona police will have the right to stop anyone on "reasonable suspicion" that they may be an illegal immigrant and can arrest them if they are not carrying a valid driver's license or identity papers."

Shades of Nazi Germany. "Papiere, bitte!" So, now the Arizona Geheime Staatspolizei can walk up to anybody that's not white (because white people aren't Mexican wetbacks) and demand identity papers, and if they don't have them, can arrest them. Probable cause for the arrest? "Walking while brown".

When you go to trial, and the cop tells the judge, "Well, Your Honor, I saw this big blond guy over there, and thought to myself, 'He might be a Swede, here illegally. I'd better check him', and he wasn't carrying his birth certificate, and he couldn't prove he was an American, so I arrested him.", will you still think this is a good law?

Don't get me wrong. Illegals are a huge problem. This is not the solution.
  7. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Actually, I dislike both "illegal aliens" and "illegal immigrants". These people are invaders and colonists. The fact that they generally come in unarmed doesn't make them less so. And the hype that surrounds this (in my view unnecessary) legislation is all based on the idea that the United States has sole authority for law enforcement with regard to immigration. Hogwash. The United States has sole authority with respect to legislation creating a uniform system of immigration, but has no authority for law enforcement at all. The "police power" is one of the areas in which the states have sole and exclusive authority under the Constitution.

Furthermore, the United States is supposed to repel invasions, but the Constitution clearly states that the states also have authority to do so, by the use of military force.

My feeling is that AZ should have enacted legislation making it a felony to enter the state without being a citizen or lawful resident of the United States. Period. Creating a statute saying that the police have the authority to exercise the police power of the state is nonsense. AZ has, under the Constitution, a legal right to repel the invasion by force. They could have snipers on the borders if their own law permits it. They certainly don't need any further Constitutional authority for the proposition that the police can act like police.

One thing I really got a kick out of in the original quote was this: "This criminalizes undocumented status and turns dishwashers, janitors, landscapers and our neighbors into criminals," says Chris Newman, legal director of the National Day Laborer Organizing Network." If those folks are "undocumented"; i.e., they have no valid birth certificate, no driver's license, no passport, no "green card", and no social security number, then both they and their employers are already criminals. This legislation does absolutely nothing to "criminalize" anyone. It's merely an enforcement provision. What amazes me is that anyone thought it was necessary.
  8. navis128

navis128 New Member

I think there is a high probability that the cops in AZ already know who the illegals are, so it will just be a matter of picking them up.

I know a lot of Americans that just happen to be brown, and lemme tell ya...they don't like the invasion that's going on either.

And think about it, these illegals flooding into MY COUNTRY are traitors to their own. They aren't going to convince me that somehow they will be loyal to MINE.
  9. ofitg

ofitg New Member

It seems that some of the "chicano" population here in the Southwest are clinging to the idea that this part of the U.S. rightfully belongs to Mexico... and that the immigration laws don't apply to them. Yes, I'm serious, this is not a joke.

Their complaints about "racial profiling" are the closest they can come to a legitimate argument against the bill.

Yes, if you get pulled over for speeding, the cop is going to ask for your drivers license. If you can't produce one, and if you speak with a foreign accent - no matter what the color of your skin might be - the cop will be very interested.

BTW, here in Arizona I've met legal immigrants from Mexico, Canada, South America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe. The ones I've talked to do NOT approve of illegal immigration. Our government's tolerance of illegal immigrants is a slap in the face to people who obeyed the law and followed the correct procedures to come here.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    You say this is not the solution. What would you propose to be the solution?
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't have the solution. I just know that throwing the Constitution in the trash and turning America into a police state is not it.
  12. navis128

navis128 New Member

Papers or chips...I'll take papers
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I am somewhere in the middle, I see why it is controversial, and see where it could be an issue... but I think I support it overall.

It is one of those things that will end up being great, or horrible, when actually practiced. Only time will tell.

Unfortunately even if it works well it will probably still be lambasted.

Probably a good first step is anyone not able to prove citizenship in the process of crime/infraction should be arrested and vetted. Speeding, and cannot prove citizenship/legality? Jail, whether you are white, black, brown, or purple.
  14. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Oh BOO-fricken-HOO for the poor ILLEGAL aliens!

It's about time some laws were passed that have teeth. Is this a perfect new law? Absolutely not! But at least something is pro-actively being done to address the problem! Will some be profiled and maybe innocents detained? Almost assuredly. But guess what? If someone is checked and has proper I.D., he will be all right. I carry I.D. every day of my life as all citizens should, regardless of their ethnic background.
    And another thing, despite any short comings this law may have, it is for the safety and greater good of legal citizens. In other words, I think it will be more beneficial than harmful. While there may be no perfect answer here, something substantive must be done. This appears to be a step in that direction however imperfect it may be.!

15. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Yes arrest them and then make them prove their innocence, good plan! Oh wait...
  16. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

I question whether or not we really need another law on the books. Wouldn't it be easier to just enforce the ones we already have? The illegals in this country should have been deported long ago.
  17. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I had one of those "show me your papers" incidents back in the '90s. Some guy plowed into a line of cars (including mine) waiting at a railroad crossing. I didn't have my proof of insurance with me, so I got ticketed. Had to take a day off from work, went to court and showed my insurance cards to the judge. No fine or anything, just advised to carry my insurance cards in the future. I learned my lesson.
  18. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Enough is enough. If police make a mistake, then so be it. Nobody said it would be easy. But something has to be done.
  19. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Exactly!!! I think we should start in D.C., though.
  20. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Maybe Texas would follow there lead. I would support that law.