Illinois wants everything and more

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sctman800, Jan 3, 2006.

1. sctman800

sctman800 New Member

Living in Illinois is allways kind of embarassing when discussing matters of CCW and gun laws in general, I am used to that. Along with my Illinois state income tax forms is something new and exciting. The "Illinois state use tax" which basicly says that the state wants sales tax for everything you bought in 2005 no matter where you bought it. If you bought off the internet or catalog sales Illinois wants 6.25% to be sent in. If you were driving through another state and bought something and brought it back to use in Illinois the state wants the difference between what tax was paid and their 6.25%.
    Gee, this really makes me love Illinois even more than before. What I would like to know is are there other states that do anything like this? The form says the law has been on the books for years but the state is just now becomming aggresive in the enforcement.
    Thanks in advance for any information, Jim.
  2. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Indiana tries to collect sales taxes on out of state purchases, too.
  3. flopshot

flopshot New Member

you're gonna see more and more of that. we're heading for a national sales tax or every merchant online is going to be administrating sales tax collection for every state that has one.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

sctman800:

California does the same and has for years. Any company that has a business presence in California is expected to pay CA sales tax (about 8%) for each sale to a Californian. As a citizen of California I am expected to figure out how much I bought out of state where I paid no sales tax and add it to my state income tax form for payment. I know no one that follows this "law" and the state knows it so they persue the "business presence" vender to get at least some sales taxes. If they ever pursue the average guy the paper trail is bold and many will get caught.

Indeed there will be a plan to add automatic sales taxes to ALL internet sales. But the government wants internet sales to become thoroughly embeded in the American culture before dropping the hammer. If done too soon they fear killing interent sales and the future potential for tons of sales tax revenue. I expect the fight to start up in a year or so, but the Dems and Rubulicans in both federal houses are so disfunctinal and partisan that it may not happen anytime soon since very little constructive (or even destructive) law making gets done anymore.

LDBennett