The Firearms Forum banner

I'm a young buyer looking into buying a decent semi-automatic rifle.

6K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  2000ShadowACE 
#1 · (Edited)
First; A little background: I'm 19 years old. I know quite a bit about firearms and I've been around them all my life. The thing is that my dad and I have always had them because we inherited them, so we haven't been in the market for a while and so we don't know what sells for what nowadays. We have a couple 20G 870s, a commemorative buffalo bill 30-30 (that has never been fired), a semi-automatic .22lr from the 60's (that's not in great condition and has relatively bad accuracy), my great grandfather's double barrel 20G, a 12G over-under that my grandpa left for me, a .38 revolver, a .22 revolver, and a .380 auto pistol. We use the .38 and .380 for home defense. What we are lacking is a long-range bolt action rifle and a medium-range semi automatic rifle. My dad is not thrilled about getting a semi auto rifle but he is ok with it as long as I use my money to buy it. Whatever I buy it will be for use within 300 yards or less. It will be my rifle, and I will take it with me for home defense when I move out in a year or two. (And I'd like to be able to pass it on down the generations)

Now; I have done my research and concluded that what I want to spend is not enough to buy a worthwhile AR. It may buy a decent AK (Which I am perfectly fine with, if you have suggestions on brand or model please let me know.) I'd prefer to buy something as-is. I don't want to have to modify anything. I'd also prefer it be a larger round. I'm a big guy (6'5" 250lb) and I handle recoil well. The 7.62x39 is appealing because of price. I just want something sturdy and reliable. Also, I'd prefer a magazine size of at least 10. Higher is better. Accuracy isn't a huge issue with me but if there is a particular ammo/gun combination that works within my rage, I'm all for it. I should add that anything I get would be new/excellent condition

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, lets see... an AK you can throw in a mud puddle, not realize that it slipped into that mud puddle from being stood up next to a tree, come back after taking a crap, pick it up and it will fire fine - it'll spit out some mud with the first couple rounds is all.... An AR will be a wee bit more temperamental in such a situation.. An SKS will generally just shoot forever even if you only clean it twice a year. So will the AK but the SKS is cheaper to buy. Then, you could go with a mini 14 - not quite the power as the AR but they each have their pros and cons. As home defense weapons they basically suck - as far as I'm concerned any long gun sucks for home defense unless you happen to be defending your home from outside your home. I stick with my .45 for inside home defense.

Now, if you want a semi auto rifle to simply shoot for fun, buy a Ruger 10/22 - you can shoot 500 rounds of ammo for $18 or less (I think my daughter just bought her last 500 round box for $14)

For a bolt action rifle - well, there are about a million different ones to choose from. The only rifles and shotguns I'm not a fan of are single shot varieties.

Me, I have my Marlin lever action 30/30 - use it for everything I need a rifle for - including deer and moose hunting. I suppose that's because I'm sort of a traditionalist in this respect and the Marlin fits well in a saddle sheath.

#3 ·
Are you in a location with reasonably well-stocked gun or sporting goods stores? If so, I suggest you visit several and look at some of what is available. If you find a store you like, you can have them order anything you want. (IMHO, building a good relationship with a local gun shop is very important, so I try to buy locally.)

Jim

#5 ·
What you buy depends on what the intended use is. A large caliber rifle is not the right choice for home defense for several reasons - one being penetration thru walls into your neighbors home. Semi auto's for hunting can have their uses however, but I'd look at something besides a black gun for that purpose. For home defense, a DA revolver .38special or larger, or short barrel pump shotgun loaded with #2 birdshot or #4buckshot would be ideal. Keep in mind that home defense is close quarters, you'd likely be in the process of waking up, in the dark, and confused. You have a couple of seconds to react if you're lucky. You really want to mess around with jacking a round into the chamber?

I have a 5 shot S&W .357/.38 with 3" barrel for bedside use. All I have to do is pick it up and start pulling the trigger. At 20' or less, I garuntee at least 2 of those bullets will hit the target, even half asleep and in the dark.

That said, don't rely on a single thing. Defense in depth. I have other security that will alert me well in advance of an actual breakin.

#6 ·
Now; I have done my research and concluded that what I want to spend is not enough to buy a worthwhile AR. It may buy a decent AK (Which I am perfectly fine with, if you have suggestions on brand or model please let me know.) I'd prefer to buy something as-is. I don't want to have to modify anything. I'd also prefer it be a larger round. I'm a big guy (6'5" 250lb) and I handle recoil well. The 7.62x39 is appealing because of price. I just want something sturdy and reliable. Also, I'd prefer a magazine size of at least 10. Higher is better. Accuracy isn't a huge issue with me but if there is a particular ammo/gun combination that works within my rage, I'm all for it. I should add that anything I get would be new/excellent condition
You should definitely consider an SKS or something in the AK configuration - both 7.62x39. Plenty of options there. With stripper clips the SKS loads fairly quickly too. Very reliable design. You could by two of them and ammo for the same price as an AR. Something to think about.

#8 ·
I'll second the garand but it will cost more up front and the ammo is more than a sks. I have had a few of everything and now have a sks, and a DPMS sportical AR. I really like my yugo sks but remember the sks is a little long. I think they are the most gun for the $. They just work forever. I mainly buy from buds gun shop.com. No taxes unless you live in KY & free shipping. Just choose a ffl to transfer to. There prices are hard to beat if buying new. My AR cost $629 after background and everything and it has really impressed me. I've got about &350 into my sks including tapco stock and 30 round mags. Good luck with your decision

#10 ·
Man wants an AK & you all want him to get a Garand or something else. Does anyone read the entire posts anymore????????????
While this is a good point, I would point out that a Garand would fill the bill as both a long range and an intermediate range weapon, since he did post that those were the weapons lacking in his arsenal.
Although the Garand does not fit both catagories perfectly, his posting of not wanting to spend the money on a high price AR type indicates a multi role weapon may well be the ticket.
Several companies make a scope mount for the Garand that require no smithing, and a well tuned Garand is good for several hundred yards and more.

#11 ·
While this is a good point, I would point out that a Garand would fill the bill as both a long range and an intermediate range weapon, since he did post that those were the weapons lacking in his arsenal.
Although the Garand does not fit both catagories perfectly, his posting of not wanting to spend the money on a high price AR type indicates a multi role weapon may well be the ticket.
Several companies make a scope mount for the Garand that require no smithing, and a well tuned Garand is good for several hundred yards and more.
READ.................

#12 ·
READ.................

Thanks, now we all understand that a PREFERENCE is just that, but he also asked for suggestions as to brand and MODEL, so technically he left it open to several different firearms, not just an AK, he simply indicated that was fine with an AK ("It may buy a decent AK"), not that he actually had settled on one.
I, like others, was simply pointing out an avenue he may not have considered, that's all.
And I'll wager my reading comprehension levels are just as good as any person you would care to name.

#13 ·
Thanks, now we all understand that a PREFERENCE is just that, but he also asked for suggestions as to brand and MODEL, so technically he left it open to several different firearms, not just an AK, he simply indicated that was fine with an AK ("It may buy a decent AK"), not that he actually had settled on one.
I, like others, was simply pointing out an avenue he may not have considered, that's all.
And I'll wager my reading comprehension levels are just as good as any person you would care to name.
Oh I'm sure they are, it just kinda puzzles me where he states a minimum 10 round capacity & last time I fired a Garand it only held 8. Call me crazy.....

#14 ·
Oh I'm sure they are, it just kinda puzzles me where he states a minimum 10 round capacity & last time I fired a Garand it only held 8. Call me crazy.....
No, another good point, however, once again the word used was PREFER.
I would also point out that the term 'decent' in reference to the AK leaves us in the position of determining just what it means, to me a 'decent' AK eliminates much and puts us in a higher price point, almost at entry level AR prices these days.
Then there's the preference remark as to a "larger round", I don't consider the 7.62 x 39 to be a large 'round', compared to say the 7.62 x 51.
Yes it's a large caliber, but seriously lacking in power in this comparison.
He liked it for price, as stated, but also stated he could handle more in recoil.
IMO, anyone can handle the 7.62x 39's recoil, the NATO or '06 round is another matter for some.
He also said "if there's a particular ammo/gun combination that works within my ra(n)ge, I'm all for it"
You've assumed he's settled on an AK, but that's not what I got from it.
As you can see, I did indeed read his post.

#15 ·
(And I'd like to be able to pass it on down the generations)
I'd also prefer it be a larger round. I'm a big guy (6'5" 250lb) and I handle recoil well.
I should add that anything I get would be new/excellent condition
Whatever I buy it will be for use within 300 yards or less

I believe that this is part of what I read when I suggested a Garand, just a suggestion that a relative novice to shooting may not have encountered. SKS/AK are a lot of things, but I do not believe 300 yd power is their strong suit. My OPINION only.

#16 ·
No, another good point, however, once again the word used was PREFER.
I would also point out that the term 'decent' in reference to the AK leaves us in the position of determining just what it means, to me a 'decent' AK eliminates much and puts us in a higher price point, almost at entry level AR prices these days.
Then there's the preference remark as to a "larger round", I don't consider the 7.62 x 39 to be a large 'round', compared to say the 7.62 x 51.
Yes it's a large caliber, but seriously lacking in power in this comparison.
He liked it for price, as stated, but also stated he could handle more in recoil.
IMO, anyone can handle the 7.62x 39's recoil, the NATO or '06 round is another matter for some.
He also said "if there's a particular ammo/gun combination that works within my ra(n)ge, I'm all for it"
You've assumed he's settled on an AK, but that's not what I got from it.
As you can see, I did indeed read his post.
Wow, really gonna pick this all apart eh?

Ok you win.......

#18 ·
save your money and get an M1A. properly cared for they last a lifetime and fill the bill of both a long range weapon and an intermediate range weapon. And use 20 round mags. They genarally start around 1500 bucks for a base model. You could shop around and find them cheaper im sure, especially at gunshows.

#19 ·
BTW, I too am biased toward the Garand. I love them, which is why I recommend the M1A, which is essentially a DBM short action adaptation of the M1 Garand..

Todays .308 and .30-06 ammunition are generally considered equal in performance, and only thru careful handloading can one realize the full potential of either round.

#20 ·
That's funny, I'm 21, and when I was looking for my first rifle, my dad wasn't happy with the idea of me getting an SKS or Saiga 7.62... or any semi auto centerfire. Wanted me to learn how to shoot accurately and proper first. So I got a Savage Axis in .223.

Can't go wrong with a .22lr though.

What IS your budget?

#21 ·
save your money and get an M1A. properly cared for they last a lifetime and fill the bill of both a long range weapon and an intermediate range weapon. And use 20 round mags. They genarally start around 1500 bucks for a base model. You could shop around and find them cheaper im sure, especially at gunshows.
this was exactly what I was going to suggest!

just go all out, you'll be eating ramen noodles for a while but trust me, there's no better semi in your hand than a good M1A, no matter which grade or barrel. They all shoot great and are inherently both extremely reliable and accurate.

sure, AR's have come a long way but the M1A is the ultimate IMO for many reasons ;)

#23 · (Edited)
I have all sorts of semi-auto rifles in my collection of guns and my CMP Garand is a favorite but for home defense it most certainly is not a good choice at all.

30-06 is a powerful caliber and a Garand weighs about 10 pounds. Getting it up and in a ready state for firing in a small room or in a hall or any other close quarters is tough. Then there is the penetration of the walls problem. The police and court would not take kindly to you killing a neighbor in you attempt to kill an intruder.

So it comes down to the fact that there is no one gun that will do it all. A revolver in 38/357 would make an excellent home defense gun. An SKS or AK or a Mini-14 would make a good plinking gun for shooting trips. And a Garand or FN-FAL or any bolt gun would make a good hunting gun. But no one gun meets (perfectly) any of the poster requirements.

The need for a home defense gun is often over rated. Beside the poster can alway pick up a little 38 revolver in the future for home defense since the poster is not even out of the well protected family home yet. No mention was made of hunting only maybe shooting at 300 yds. When hunting becomes a necessity then the poster can buy a good bolt gun. I interpret that the poster wants to do some plinking and target shooting with a rifle bigger than a 22LR. The most gun for the least money is probably a YUGO SKS. It shoots an inexpensive round, is relatively accurate, shoots well out to 200 yds, is relatively compact, is very durable, and is relatively easy to find both from dealers and from private parties for a reasonable price. They are plentiful on the Surplus market with some recent imports.

I love the Garand but any one worth having in "decent" shape is going to start at $500 and go up from there. There is a high probability at the low end of the market that the barrel will be shot out. Replacing the barrel can be several hundred dollars more. The better Garands run closer to $1000. The CMP Garands are the real bargain but you have to meet a whole set of requirement to buy one including belonging to a CMP affiliated gun club, showing results from some amount of competition shooting, and fill out a stack of papers that need to be notarized. The best you could do is buy a CMP Garand off a private party but most start at over $500.

To sum it up, the poster needs to limit his needs, plan for the purchase of future guns for specific tasks, and choose a gun like the SKS for now.

I have all the guns mentioned above (and more) and the YUGO SKS is a good reliable reasonably accurate, inexpensive gun that uses inexpensive ammo that I would recommend for the poster.

LDBennett

#24 ·
That's funny, I'm 21, and when I was looking for my first rifle, my dad wasn't happy with the idea of me getting an SKS or Saiga 7.62... or any semi auto centerfire. Wanted me to learn how to shoot accurately and proper first. So I got a Savage Axis in .223.

Can't go wrong with a .22lr though.

What IS your budget?
Now hold on, are we saying that one cannot learn to shoot accurately or properly with a semi-auto?
So all those first time Marines aren't being trained properly?
Think about it.

#25 ·
I'll pitch in on this. Go with a SKS. Yugos are pretty good, I have 2 of them. One scoped and the other is stock. When we (family & friends) go to the range, the scoped one is the SKS that gets shot the most. From the younger kids, 10-12, to the women-folk, and everyone else, its a fav to shoot. Easy to take down and clean, ammo is still kinda cheap and can be found everywhere. Overall just a darned fun rifle to shoot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.