The Firearms Forum banner

I'm a young buyer looking into buying a decent semi-automatic rifle.

6K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  2000ShadowACE 
#1 · (Edited)
First; A little background: I'm 19 years old. I know quite a bit about firearms and I've been around them all my life. The thing is that my dad and I have always had them because we inherited them, so we haven't been in the market for a while and so we don't know what sells for what nowadays. We have a couple 20G 870s, a commemorative buffalo bill 30-30 (that has never been fired), a semi-automatic .22lr from the 60's (that's not in great condition and has relatively bad accuracy), my great grandfather's double barrel 20G, a 12G over-under that my grandpa left for me, a .38 revolver, a .22 revolver, and a .380 auto pistol. We use the .38 and .380 for home defense. What we are lacking is a long-range bolt action rifle and a medium-range semi automatic rifle. My dad is not thrilled about getting a semi auto rifle but he is ok with it as long as I use my money to buy it. Whatever I buy it will be for use within 300 yards or less. It will be my rifle, and I will take it with me for home defense when I move out in a year or two. (And I'd like to be able to pass it on down the generations)

Now; I have done my research and concluded that what I want to spend is not enough to buy a worthwhile AR. It may buy a decent AK (Which I am perfectly fine with, if you have suggestions on brand or model please let me know.) I'd prefer to buy something as-is. I don't want to have to modify anything. I'd also prefer it be a larger round. I'm a big guy (6'5" 250lb) and I handle recoil well. The 7.62x39 is appealing because of price. I just want something sturdy and reliable. Also, I'd prefer a magazine size of at least 10. Higher is better. Accuracy isn't a huge issue with me but if there is a particular ammo/gun combination that works within my rage, I'm all for it. I should add that anything I get would be new/excellent condition

See less See more
#27 ·
Accuracy isn't a huge issue with me but if there is a particular ammo/gun combination that works within my rage, I'm all for it.
Am I the only one that is going to ask? Why is accuracy low on your list of piorities? Who care what it is if you can't hit anything.

By a pump shot gun for the house rifle is over kill. then save the rest of your money until you can afford a decent ACCURATE rifle

#29 · (Edited)
Different strokes. I for one will NOT tolerate an inaccurate rifle, for me that's a minimum 2" group at 100 yards (which for some isn't accurate enough)for iron sighted and 1" for scoped auto loaders, I have higher expectations for bolt weapons.
Not to upset anyone, but this is why I don't have an AK style rifle, I didn't find one in the three I tried, and since I already had an HK, I tried a Mini -14 (took some doing to find one of those that was accurate too), found one and then I just moved on and put that money into ammo.
I think part of the problem is the sights, Nearly all my iron sighted rifles have or have been converted to rear aperture systems, I just don't like blade, leaf or buckhorn rear sights.
I think the AK sighting system is garbage, it just doesn't work for me. YMMV.

#32 · (Edited)
I am a shooter and super appreciate really accurate guns but.....

I also appreciate Winchester/Browning lever guns and have many. I also have a Savage 99 lever gun. Accuracy is not everything for me. I buy guns for looks and some guns just to get a specific caliber. Just shooting for accuracy and not for fun is boring, eventually. I have a large variety of guns that I shoot regularly: vintage, modern, tactical, classics, bolts, pumps, more levers, ex-military from both WW's and other wars, and single shot rifles designed in the 1880's. "Variety is the spice of life". How boring to own one gun or one type gun or one caliber of guns (I reload for over 30 different cartridges). Life is too short to specialize when it comes to guns. But some of them are accurate and I really appreciate that. The rest are accurate enough at shorter ranges. Most all of them shoot better than I can.

LDBennett

#34 ·
Gotta agree with LDBennett, most of my guns shoot better than I can.

In all honesty, as a young shooter find something you will want to shoot and learn more than you know today, have fun and enjoy the gumflapping of (us) greybeards at the range and on this board; we mean well and all have experience and opinions.
Please post your purchase and advise of your results.

#36 ·
First of all the original poster has never been back.

He says he is a big guy and wants a larger round.

An all around rifle would be Remington semi in 308 at wally world. You can scope it easy if you want to hunt with it. You can get larger mags for it, it doesn't cost much. AK's and black guns are something you get once you have the basics down. My .02 I dont think this guy isn't too serious about talking to us.

#38 ·
Now hold on, are we saying that one cannot learn to shoot accurately or properly with a semi-auto?
So all those first time Marines aren't being trained properly?
Think about it.
No, but with a bolt action you tend to put MUCH more focus into each individual time you go to squeeze the trigger. Whereas with a semi-auto, you're much more likely to shoot faster and not give as much effort into each shot, because you're ready for the next one, and the next, until you're loading the magazine again.

#39 ·
No, but with a bolt action you tend to put MUCH more focus into each individual time you go to squeeze the trigger. Whereas with a semi-auto, you're much more likely to shoot faster and not give as much effort into each shot, because you're ready for the next one, and the next, until you're loading the magazine again.
Only if your undisciplined, and shooting is a discipline.
I would point out that not having to move your hand or change your shooting position for each shot is more condusive to learning the skills of shooting as well as muscle memory, so really the idea that a single shot or bolt is better is bogus.
Even if one maintains cheek weld (difficult for many when actuating the bolt), the shooter must then reaquire hand position and finger mating to the trigger.
It's about the training itself, not the type of firearm.

#40 ·
I would point out that not having to move your hand or change your shooting position for each shot is more condusive to learning the skills of shooting as well as muscle memory, so really the idea that a single shot or bolt is better is bogus.
Even if one maintains cheek weld (difficult for many when actuating the bolt), the shooter must then reaquire hand position and finger mating to the trigger.
Yeah I agree with all of that, but being a younger shooter, it's tempting to lose patience and just rapid fire. A bolt action taught me to make every round count. Especially when each round costs a lot more than .22lr. So yeah, I'm just that, undisciplined and not properly trained, without the proper equipment (benchrest, sand bags, etc)

#42 ·
Get a Saiga rifle, they can be had in 308 Winchester and 7.62x39. Very budget friendly; around 350-400$. ( Since you're 19, I assume you have very little cash)

Reliable as all hell, and you can modify it later to have a pistol-grip stock. Comes with 10 round mag, but you can buy higher capacity mags later.

Same operation as an AK, just minus the flash hider and/or muzzle brake and it's uglier than sin, similar to an AKin that manner too I suppose. :p

#43 ·
Second on the Saiga. I bought one for $320.00 a few months back and did the conversion myself. Got the x39 with 16" barrel. It's more accurate than I am but I can still shoot 3" groups at 100 yards off a rickety POS bench at my buddy's place, I'll admit he's a better shot with it than I am though. I have less than a bottom-end AR in it for sure.

#44 ·
Absolutely agree. I fired between 245 and 250 ever year for 20 years (out a possible 250 points) on the USMC KD course with M1, M-14, and M-16. No scope, issue rifle and ammo. For those not familiar with the KD course, it's 200, 300, and 500 yds(meters now) in offhand, sitting, kneeling and prone positions. And yes, there were others better than me.

#45 ·
I have to agree with LD Bennet, no one gun is perfect for home defense and long range shooting. If you unleash a 30.06 inside your home, it will soon pass through your neighbor's homes as well. Unless you plan to fix a bayonet and charge the intruder, an M1 is not a good choice for home defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.