I'm a young buyer looking into buying a decent semi-automatic rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Trevelayan, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Wow, really gonna pick this all apart eh?

Ok you win.......
  2. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Thanx again, your most kind.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

save your money and get an M1A. properly cared for they last a lifetime and fill the bill of both a long range weapon and an intermediate range weapon. And use 20 round mags. They genarally start around 1500 bucks for a base model. You could shop around and find them cheaper im sure, especially at gunshows.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

BTW, I too am biased toward the Garand. I love them, which is why I recommend the M1A, which is essentially a DBM short action adaptation of the M1 Garand..

Todays .308 and .30-06 ammunition are generally considered equal in performance, and only thru careful handloading can one realize the full potential of either round.
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

That's funny, I'm 21, and when I was looking for my first rifle, my dad wasn't happy with the idea of me getting an SKS or Saiga 7.62... or any semi auto centerfire. Wanted me to learn how to shoot accurately and proper first. So I got a Savage Axis in .223.

Can't go wrong with a .22lr though.

What IS your budget?
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

this was exactly what I was going to suggest!

just go all out, you'll be eating ramen noodles for a while but trust me, there's no better semi in your hand than a good M1A, no matter which grade or barrel. They all shoot great and are inherently both extremely reliable and accurate.

sure, AR's have come a long way but the M1A is the ultimate IMO for many reasons ;)
  7. pdg929

pdg929 New Member

@ka64...i belive you were the first one to offer the garand as an option just sayin lol
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have all sorts of semi-auto rifles in my collection of guns and my CMP Garand is a favorite but for home defense it most certainly is not a good choice at all.

30-06 is a powerful caliber and a Garand weighs about 10 pounds. Getting it up and in a ready state for firing in a small room or in a hall or any other close quarters is tough. Then there is the penetration of the walls problem. The police and court would not take kindly to you killing a neighbor in you attempt to kill an intruder.

So it comes down to the fact that there is no one gun that will do it all. A revolver in 38/357 would make an excellent home defense gun. An SKS or AK or a Mini-14 would make a good plinking gun for shooting trips. And a Garand or FN-FAL or any bolt gun would make a good hunting gun. But no one gun meets (perfectly) any of the poster requirements.

The need for a home defense gun is often over rated. Beside the poster can alway pick up a little 38 revolver in the future for home defense since the poster is not even out of the well protected family home yet. No mention was made of hunting only maybe shooting at 300 yds. When hunting becomes a necessity then the poster can buy a good bolt gun. I interpret that the poster wants to do some plinking and target shooting with a rifle bigger than a 22LR. The most gun for the least money is probably a YUGO SKS. It shoots an inexpensive round, is relatively accurate, shoots well out to 200 yds, is relatively compact, is very durable, and is relatively easy to find both from dealers and from private parties for a reasonable price. They are plentiful on the Surplus market with some recent imports.

I love the Garand but any one worth having in "decent" shape is going to start at $500 and go up from there. There is a high probability at the low end of the market that the barrel will be shot out. Replacing the barrel can be several hundred dollars more. The better Garands run closer to $1000. The CMP Garands are the real bargain but you have to meet a whole set of requirement to buy one including belonging to a CMP affiliated gun club, showing results from some amount of competition shooting, and fill out a stack of papers that need to be notarized. The best you could do is buy a CMP Garand off a private party but most start at over $500.

To sum it up, the poster needs to limit his needs, plan for the purchase of future guns for specific tasks, and choose a gun like the SKS for now.

I have all the guns mentioned above (and more) and the YUGO SKS is a good reliable reasonably accurate, inexpensive gun that uses inexpensive ammo that I would recommend for the poster.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  9. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Now hold on, are we saying that one cannot learn to shoot accurately or properly with a semi-auto?
    So all those first time Marines aren't being trained properly?
    Think about it.
  10. vonotterskull

vonotterskull Member

I'll pitch in on this. Go with a SKS. Yugos are pretty good, I have 2 of them. One scoped and the other is stock. When we (family & friends) go to the range, the scoped one is the SKS that gets shot the most. From the younger kids, 10-12, to the women-folk, and everyone else, its a fav to shoot. Easy to take down and clean, ammo is still kinda cheap and can be found everywhere. Overall just a darned fun rifle to shoot!
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Springfield Armory M1A .308 caliber
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  12. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN Member

Am I the only one that is going to ask? Why is accuracy low on your list of piorities? Who care what it is if you can't hit anything.

By a pump shot gun for the house rifle is over kill. then save the rest of your money until you can afford a decent ACCURATE rifle
  13. 01brian

01brian New Member

there is a difference between a hitting a tack or a plate sized gong. Both can achieve the same end result..one is for "competition" the other is not.
  14. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Different strokes. I for one will NOT tolerate an inaccurate rifle, for me that's a minimum 2" group at 100 yards (which for some isn't accurate enough)for iron sighted and 1" for scoped auto loaders, I have higher expectations for bolt weapons.
    Not to upset anyone, but this is why I don't have an AK style rifle, I didn't find one in the three I tried, and since I already had an HK, I tried a Mini -14 (took some doing to find one of those that was accurate too), found one and then I just moved on and put that money into ammo.
    I think part of the problem is the sights, Nearly all my iron sighted rifles have or have been converted to rear aperture systems, I just don't like blade, leaf or buckhorn rear sights.
    I think the AK sighting system is garbage, it just doesn't work for me. YMMV.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  15. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN Member

I was taught aim small, miss small. So yes to me it is important that the rifle be more accurate then I am.