I'm a young buyer looking into buying a decent semi-automatic rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Trevelayan, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Trevelayan

Trevelayan New Member

OP here.

Thanks for all of your input everyone!

I'm still browsing for something that fits my needs, but you guys have helped tremendously with narrowing my search. I'll try to post back here when I finally find something.
  2. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Get a Saiga rifle, they can be had in 308 Winchester and 7.62x39. Very budget friendly; around 350-400$. ( Since you're 19, I assume you have very little cash)

Reliable as all hell, and you can modify it later to have a pistol-grip stock. Comes with 10 round mag, but you can buy higher capacity mags later.

Same operation as an AK, just minus the flash hider and/or muzzle brake and it's uglier than sin, similar to an AKin that manner too I suppose. :p
  3. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Second on the Saiga. I bought one for $320.00 a few months back and did the conversion myself. Got the x39 with 16" barrel. It's more accurate than I am but I can still shoot 3" groups at 100 yards off a rickety POS bench at my buddy's place, I'll admit he's a better shot with it than I am though. I have less than a bottom-end AR in it for sure.

[​IMG]
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Absolutely agree. I fired between 245 and 250 ever year for 20 years (out a possible 250 points) on the USMC KD course with M1, M-14, and M-16. No scope, issue rifle and ammo. For those not familiar with the KD course, it's 200, 300, and 500 yds(meters now) in offhand, sitting, kneeling and prone positions. And yes, there were others better than me.
  5. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

I have to agree with LD Bennet, no one gun is perfect for home defense and long range shooting. If you unleash a 30.06 inside your home, it will soon pass through your neighbor's homes as well. Unless you plan to fix a bayonet and charge the intruder, an M1 is not a good choice for home defense.