I'm a young buyer looking into buying a decent semi-automatic rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Trevelayan, Oct 31, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Whats a rifle when its not even accurate, a waste of money
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I am a shooter and super appreciate really accurate guns but.....

I also appreciate Winchester/Browning lever guns and have many. I also have a Savage 99 lever gun. Accuracy is not everything for me. I buy guns for looks and some guns just to get a specific caliber. Just shooting for accuracy and not for fun is boring, eventually. I have a large variety of guns that I shoot regularly: vintage, modern, tactical, classics, bolts, pumps, more levers, ex-military from both WW's and other wars, and single shot rifles designed in the 1880's. "Variety is the spice of life". How boring to own one gun or one type gun or one caliber of guns (I reload for over 30 different cartridges). Life is too short to specialize when it comes to guns. But some of them are accurate and I really appreciate that. The rest are accurate enough at shorter ranges. Most all of them shoot better than I can.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

Buy a GARAND.................
  4. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Gotta agree with LDBennett, most of my guns shoot better than I can.

In all honesty, as a young shooter find something you will want to shoot and learn more than you know today, have fun and enjoy the gumflapping of (us) greybeards at the range and on this board; we mean well and all have experience and opinions.
    Please post your purchase and advise of your results.
  5. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

If you want to get an AK get a Maadi. All my AK's are Maadi. They were made with the same russian equipment the "REAL RUSSIAN AK's" were made with. VERY ACCURATE!!!
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

First of all the original poster has never been back.

He says he is a big guy and wants a larger round.

An all around rifle would be Remington semi in 308 at wally world. You can scope it easy if you want to hunt with it. You can get larger mags for it, it doesn't cost much. AK's and black guns are something you get once you have the basics down. My .02 I dont think this guy isn't too serious about talking to us.
  7. 01brian

01brian New Member

I think that's fantasic...however, you "missed" my point :) ...regardless, it does not matter. I would be interested in what he decides to get. Hopefully he has not been "runned off".
  8. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

No, but with a bolt action you tend to put MUCH more focus into each individual time you go to squeeze the trigger. Whereas with a semi-auto, you're much more likely to shoot faster and not give as much effort into each shot, because you're ready for the next one, and the next, until you're loading the magazine again.
  9. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Only if your undisciplined, and shooting is a discipline.
    I would point out that not having to move your hand or change your shooting position for each shot is more condusive to learning the skills of shooting as well as muscle memory, so really the idea that a single shot or bolt is better is bogus.
    Even if one maintains cheek weld (difficult for many when actuating the bolt), the shooter must then reaquire hand position and finger mating to the trigger.
    It's about the training itself, not the type of firearm.
  10. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Yeah I agree with all of that, but being a younger shooter, it's tempting to lose patience and just rapid fire. A bolt action taught me to make every round count. Especially when each round costs a lot more than .22lr. So yeah, I'm just that, undisciplined and not properly trained, without the proper equipment (benchrest, sand bags, etc)
  11. Trevelayan

Trevelayan New Member

OP here.

Thanks for all of your input everyone!

I'm still browsing for something that fits my needs, but you guys have helped tremendously with narrowing my search. I'll try to post back here when I finally find something.
  12. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Get a Saiga rifle, they can be had in 308 Winchester and 7.62x39. Very budget friendly; around 350-400$. ( Since you're 19, I assume you have very little cash)

Reliable as all hell, and you can modify it later to have a pistol-grip stock. Comes with 10 round mag, but you can buy higher capacity mags later.

Same operation as an AK, just minus the flash hider and/or muzzle brake and it's uglier than sin, similar to an AKin that manner too I suppose. :p
  13. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Second on the Saiga. I bought one for $320.00 a few months back and did the conversion myself. Got the x39 with 16" barrel. It's more accurate than I am but I can still shoot 3" groups at 100 yards off a rickety POS bench at my buddy's place, I'll admit he's a better shot with it than I am though. I have less than a bottom-end AR in it for sure.

[​IMG]
  14. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Absolutely agree. I fired between 245 and 250 ever year for 20 years (out a possible 250 points) on the USMC KD course with M1, M-14, and M-16. No scope, issue rifle and ammo. For those not familiar with the KD course, it's 200, 300, and 500 yds(meters now) in offhand, sitting, kneeling and prone positions. And yes, there were others better than me.
  15. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

I have to agree with LD Bennet, no one gun is perfect for home defense and long range shooting. If you unleash a 30.06 inside your home, it will soon pass through your neighbor's homes as well. Unless you plan to fix a bayonet and charge the intruder, an M1 is not a good choice for home defense.