1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I'm addicted to these....can't help it!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Silver72, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Can't resist, just got to get them! HELP! Another 1944 Colt and another Ithaca, late production 1945.

Attached Files:

2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Those are in NICE shape, Silver...and I'm kinda partial to the Ithacas, when I built my IPSC gun I used an Ithaca slide that came off another "chop job" I had purchased cheaply, MAINLY to get the slide and the Bomar sights mounted on it....

I LOVE it when guys look at mine and say, "Wow, when did Ithaca start making Custom IPSC .45s??";)

Whats REALLY funny(or depressing!) is as late as the 80s, guys were STILL taking stock military 1911s and A1s and cutting them up for comp guns, I remember LOTS of gun mags with the "how to" articles"that all started with "So you have a cheap Military .45 laying around...." or "Start with buying a cheap stock military .45", but now the STOCK ones are worth more than ANYTHING they could have done to "customize" them!;):eek:

Its ALSO amazing that until they started buying the "officer's" models for presentation, the Government/Military didn't buy ANY 1911A1s after 1945...tyhe ones our troops were carrying in Vietnam were ALL made in 1945 or EARLIER, and when they used it in the tests against the Berettas as "control", it wasn't even FAIR, Berettas NEW, the .45s were all more than 40 years old with tens of THOUSANDS of rounds down them....and the .45 STILL did alright, and BEAT the 92 in some categories.....
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  3. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

The one I was issued in Korea would shoot about a 2 1/2 foot pattern at 50'. It had seen better days.

These nice ones today just keep going up in value........better than common stock. I paid $695 for one long years ago and recently sold it for $1500 and did the buyer a favor. He and I were friends and members of the same collector club. Another cost $1800 and I got $2650 for it in about three years later. I only sell to upgrade to a better example. To bad they don't split like some stocks.

Attached Files:

4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Nice looking guns Silver
  5. polishshooter

What year is the 1911?
  6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

nice , very nice :)
  7. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

The 1911 is a Springfield Armory produced in 1915, all original....even the finish. The finish is showing it's age just like me.
  8. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

9. polishshooter

Wow,and there wasn't very many of them made before WWI, I wonder how many they made in 1915, I would guess it would be in the low thousands.....

I would LOVE to have an original 1911, but I imagine I never will be able to afford one...

Heck, I would love just to SHOOT one, to see if I could tell the difference....
  10. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

S.A. made 2,104 in 1915, a total of 25,767 pistols for the whole WWI effort. Remington-UMC only produced 21,676. I had a Rem Umc but it had been refinished and one part was marked wrong. Finially gave up on finding the part and sold it.
  11. polishshooter

Do you ever shoot them Silver? Or is there a magic threshold of price or rareness that you don't shoot them any more...

I mean, MOST of them probably had tens of thousands of rounds through them, most with corrosive primers right? So what could another 50 rounds or so of hardball for old times sake hurt?;)
  12. southernshooter

With them being a tried and true design I would shoot em if I had em.
    If not I adopt neglected non fired abused firearms:p :p :D
  13. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Polishshooter, I've shot this 1944 Colt with British proofs. It was my older brothers and he shot it every now and then. He brought it on a visit once and we went to acreage I have and we banged away. Later he gave it to me along with this well re arsenal S.A. '03 rebuild. My brother was on an Army Rifle team in Virginia and they had the '03s as well as garands. The sites are like they used on the team, Lymum #48 SS. I have the site's boxes one marked $12.50 and the other $5.00. He had purchased both in the '60s from Golden State Arms in California for $39.95 each. His wife hates guns, hunting etc. and since I collected he felt they would be safe for awhile. I also have shot my M1 Carbine. All of my collectibles are just that, collectibles and not shooters. I have non collectible .45s to shoot.

Attached Files:

14. southernshooter

Good lookin collection Silver
  15. mrmeval

mrmeval New Member

Some of the magazines for those are more than most of my pistols.