I'm admitedly ingnornat & uniformed please help

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by pjschulze30, Dec 22, 2009.

1. pjschulze30

pjschulze30 New Member

Inherited a WWII Walther PP from my dad, who got it from my uncle whom took from a police officer of some rank after Berlin fell. My dad never considered it a "heirloom", just simply kept-it tucked away in a paint can in a closet for home protection. I fired the weapon recently, and to my best knowledge that is the first time it's been touched in decades, since he taught me to shoot in the mid 70's. The blueing seems to be better than average everywhere except for the center of the grip and the end of the gun near the barrel where there is clearly some surface rust. I covered the weapon in gun-oil, but am reluctant to scrub-off the rust till I know that it will not hurt the value of the weapon. I'm admitatdly ignorant to gun collecting, but I can say that the rust could not impede the guns operation in any way, not that that would matter. Next to trigger: 190773 P, On barrel, and diretly below on breach is an eagle symbol (similar to ours?) with what looks like an N below each. Finally on the opposite side along the breach "Waffenbrik Walther, Zella-Mehils (Thur) with umlouds over the r. It also has the original holster, a leather item that straps to the belt with an extra holder on the outside for a clip. Any help would be greatly appreciated and paid forward.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The Eagle/N was the standard German Nitro proof mark. The Walther marking is standard for that time. It seems like a standard PP model. You might try using a little brass or copper wool and oil on the rust, but don't get too carried away. A little rust hurts the gun's value less than someone trying to use sandpaper to remove it.

Regular wartime PP's (no special markings, no special associations) in average condition are going for around $450-500; if the holster is German, it should bring another $100 or so. If the rust is deep or extensive, the value will be reduced.

Jim
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Make sure you use 0000 steel wool soaked in gun oil, and rub gently. It will remove the rust without harming the finish.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

In spite of all that has been written, 0000 steel wool will scratch the finish on a gun. That is why I use it only if brass or copper wool won't do the job.

Jim
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Jim, I've never had a problem with 0000 steel wool, but I'm going to go along with your recommendation. Better safe than sorry.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I depends a lot on what the gun is. For a modern sporting rifle with a bit of rust from that day hunting in the rain, steel wool is OK. But when the gun says COLT and is 150 years old and in near mint condition, I don't much like steel anything on it. You can see the scratches under magnification, and sometimes even without it.

Jim