I'm back from VA but with bad news

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan_marine, Dec 14, 2004.

1. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Well I made it back to GA, but with out my rifle. To make a long story short there is a guy that I was scouting with that says I shot him. AND NO I DID NOT SHOOT HIM! There is an ongoing investigation in to the shooting. He took 1 round in the leg. But he is saying that I shot him. We were only 10yrds apart at the most when he was shot. I am thinking that some one took a shot at us or he shot him self. But either way I no longer have my trusty 7mmMag. If you want the whole story email me and I will send it to you. (ryan_marine@yahoo.com). The accident happened in NC where I used to train horses. But I am just glad I made it back in one piece.

Ray
  2. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:eek: geez! i'd like to hear the story...
  3. mameral

mameral New Member

Wow, I'm sorry. That is too bad. :(
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

.......on the bright side----you t`werent shot.

LTS
  5. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    7mm Mag at ten yards or less? He should have had some powder stipling or burns. And if it hit a bone, his leg would have been removed from the wound down.

Sounds like someone is trying to hit an insurance/civil lawsuit jackpot to me.

John
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

7mm Mag at 10 yards would do some serious damage or just leave 2 holes. Hang a lamb's hind leg in a pair of jeans and blast it from 10 yards. Hit nothing but meat and there will be 2 holes, one in, one out. Hit a bone and you will probably be able to pull the leg into two pieces without a knife.

Pops
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

That's a tough break, Ray. :mad: :( Please keep us posted.
  8. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I will keep you all up dated on what happens. I don't think that this will interfer with my deployment. Aleat I hope not.

Ray
  9. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok New Member

7mm at 10 yards? Seems one of you would have heard it. Sounds crazy. If you didn't shoot him, who did, and why would he try to blame you? Best of luck to you Ryan.
  10. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Ray, Before your e-mail gets swamped, post it here. I'm with HydraShock, 10yrds ? I think ya might have heard that!!! Glad to hear it wasn't you that got hit and I hope you get your gun back in one piece!
  11. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

I ahve seen him shoot and to say he shot someone with his 7mm at 10 yards is ludicris. Spelling aside, he di not shoot anyone. They would have been hanging from my tree. Don :D
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I would like to hear the story too.
    Will they give your gun back, when it's all over?
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

The guy that got shot didn't look like Michael Moore did he? We know how you love to shoot them hogs! :p :D :D :D
  14. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Ok you all asked for it.

Here you all go.
    I got done riding a stalion that had never been riddin before. But the horse was young and did not buck. So just another day working horses for an 'ol friend. Well after I had gotten all the equipment put up I decided that if I see a yote when I walk out to sight in my rifle I was going to shot it. So I am walking over to my truck when a car pulls in to the guy that rents a trailer off of my friend house. It was his son James. (the guy's who rents the trailer son) He says "Ray what are you going to be hunting?" I said back to him "I will shot a yote if I see one but I want to sight in my rifle." He said "Give me a second and I will go with you." I said ok. So he met me at the edge of the pasture which goined the harvested corn field. We walked out to where a row of tall pines were. I told him to sit at the base of one of the trees and I will push through a small thicket to see there are any yotes in there. I walked through there making all kinds of racket. There were no yotes there. So we went to the end of the row of pines about 100yrds from the tree line. We waited for about 20-30mins. Nothing. It was starting to get dark but there was plenty of light still. The sun was just starting to set. I took a shot at a small clump of trees, each about 1 inch around. The clump was 12-18 inches wide. I did not reload my rifle because I knew that we would have to cross a ditch to see where I shot. So with a spent round in the chamber him and I went down to see where I hit. After about 30min of looking we saw no signs. So I told him forget it. I will try the next weekend when I am back in the area. I then crossed the ditch. I was slinging my rifle after crossing the ditch when I heard a shot. I knew the shot came from close by but could not give the direction. To say the least it scared the crap out of me. I turned and unslund my rifle in one motion. That is when I heard him say "Ray I have been shot" He was at the top of the ditch with his rifle infont of him. I tossed my rifle to the ground knowing that it could not of been my rifle that shot him. I looked him over and noticed that he was shot in the front of the mid to lower thigh with a LARGE exit hole at the top of his rear thigh. He also had a rip in his skin on the outer thigh. He was saying "Ray Don't Let Me Die!". I then smelled beer on his breath. I told "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING DRINKING BEFORE HANDLING A GUN?" I then calmed down and told him he was going to be ok. I picked him up on to my shoulders in the "firemans cary", with his injured leg infont of me on my right side. This way I could atleast try to keep it still while carying him out to where I could get a truck to him with out getting stuck. After 75-80yrds he was saying that he could not take it any more so I put him down because I knew that I could get my truck to him. I told him "That he would be ok, and I will be right back with my truck." I then ran to the house which is about 250-300yrds away. After I got him in the back of my truck I drove him to the house. I ran inside and told my friend that I need the phone and some help with him. So we all went out side I was dialing 911 while puting a belt around his leg to slow the bleeding but not to cut it completly off. That way he would not lose his leg. They brought me out a towl to help stop the bleeding. They basicly held the light while I applied my training to save this guy's life. The squad and sheriff's dept got there in about 3-5min. After they did not need me any more I started to tell the deputy's what happened. I even took one out to where it happened. After I got back to the house and filled out a statement the leading investagtor was finished up out where the accident happened. He asked me a few questions along with his boss. I then was able to go inside to get cleaned up and take a shower. After that I talked with my friends for about 20min then went to Quantico to start my work week up there. This was sunday the 5th. On monday around 1500 I got a phone call from the investagtor saying he needed me back down there for some more questions. So I asked my Capt to let me go down there to answer his questions. He said that I could so I called him back and told him I would be down the next day. I answered all of his questions but he said that the injured man's statment was different. The investagtor then told me that he was going have to talk to the guy some more because he was still under heavy meds because of the surgy. And told me I was free to go. So I went back to Quantico for work. The next morning (wed) I told my Capt. what had happened. He said everything was going to be ok, and not to worry about it too much. (Like a good leader) I also told him that one of us needed to call the investagtor a call around 1400. So the Capt called and the investagtor told him I needed to be back there the next morning for more questions.(Just what I wanted to do) So on thursday I showed back up to the investagtors office. I was given a ticket by the Wild Life Game officers for hunting in a closed season and hunting with out a licance. Which I admit I was doing both by shooting a coyote if I had seen one and I did this on a sunday. (Stupid me and I know I did wrong so I pled guilty and paid the price for this. But if you think about it I was only going out to sight in my rifle for the next weekend when I would of had my licance and would of been friday and saturday. I won't make this mistake again) So after that the investagtor puts me back in to his office and tells me that the guy who was shot statment was that we had split up after getting to the last pine tree and that I went behind the woods. Then when it got dark I came back out to the side of the woods that he was on and accidently shot him.

The guy that was shot and I never had bad words or anything like that. I don't know why he is saying this other than maybe a nice little civil suit. The only thing that I know is that I did not shot him.

And as for what I want, I don't want a thing. No medal, no thanks, no nothing. It would be nice if I could get my rifle back and for him to say I was NOT the one who shot him though.

Please let me know what you all think about this.

Ray
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Ray, you did everything right, including just going out to sight in your rifle. Why you plead guilty to hunting without a license I do not understand. You saved this idiots life and it should be dealt with in this manner. Since they cannot prove anything without the ballistics from the bullet, they should not be able to keep the rifle. Since you are at Quanticl, I would go over to the JAG HQ and ask to speak to a lawyer familiar with the NC laws. I was stationed at Quantico and also Cherry Point in the 70's so they should be able to help you. I would advise you to see them quickly and to not talk to the NC authorities until you have respresentation.

What type of rifle was this person carrying? Where is it and do the authorities have it? You need help and fast. Go to the base JAG group and get help. I am sure you can beat it, but I have never trusted NC authorities since I was stationed there. Good luck and Senper FI!
  16. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Well being honest I was hunting coyotes. Because if I had seen one I would of shot it. They droped the charge of hunting during a closed season and I paid the $100 dollar court cost/fine for hunting with out a license. One reason I did this was to also show that I am responisable and truthful in my actions. That is why it was only $100 (the court cost). Either way I would of had to pay that.

His rifle is still being held as far as I know. It was a 742 30/06. Mine was a savage model 110 7mm Rem Mag Serial # F913913. One of the reasons I want my gun back is not just the cost but the serial # I think is odd. It is the only serial # beside my issue rifle that I can remeber.

But all in all I have been up front and honest with them. I am just hoping that they will be the same with me.

Ray
  17. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Ryan:
    It's not always best to be speaking to investigators without representation.

The facts can be twisted to mean whatever they want them to mean. (I intend no disrespect to our upstanding LEO's in here. As with any trade, not everyone is honest. Some investigators are just trying to expain the version of the truth they believe is accrate,)

Get a JAG ASAP as Plano suggested.

CYA & BOHICA

SOunds like he's trying to cover up something, and if that's the case, his story will change as time goes on. That's the catch with not telling the truth. Since you were truthful, you should have nothing to worry about, but get JAG advise anyway.

Also, ask the JAG to help you learn to answer questions. There is a right and wrong way to answer an investigators questions.

For example, only answer exacty what is asked, and do not let long pauses to get you talking.

An example might be:
    Q. Do you know what time it is? (assuming you have a watch or there is a clock in the room)
    A. Yes, it is 8:15 pm.

This would be a wrong answer. The question was "do you know what time it is"...NOT what time is it?

The correct answer would be "yes". Nothing more.

Investigators have many ways to trip you, such as asking confusing and leading questions, or questions that have multiple points that they wish to confirm. By answering one, and not questioning the others, you are admitting or agreing to them all.

Hope it works out for you. Sounds like it will.

Keep us informed.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  18. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Ray, no one is questioning your integrity. I believe it is beyond reproach. You have been very up front with these investigators, but the time has come where you need help. Get JAG involved IMMEDIATELY!!!!! You need help. This can only come from JAG or an outside civey lawyer. I would not trust an outsider at this point in time. We may not always like the NAVY, but they are on our side. We can always count on the Navy to help us. Seek help and do not talk to these investigators until you have the proper JAG people involved. Run, do not pass go and talk to JAG!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi, Marine. Pay attention to your elders sometimes. Some of us have been there and done that! ISB has a lot of good info for you above!!!!!!!!!!! Pay attention! ;)
  19. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

I know nothing of the military ways but if you say it needs to be done I will ask Ray to do it. You seem to b eknowledgeable about these things so Ray need to heed your advice. Don
  20. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Don, Ray needs help. He is accused of a crime and has plead guilty to another crime that involves him in both. He needs help. As a former Marine, I would not even begin to tread lightly on this. He is in trouble and needs help immediately. Especially since it involves two states. I would not take lightly of the situation. He is a Marine and is being accused of a crime in another state. If needs be, the JAG can bring in the FBI since it crosses state lines. He needs help and as a former Marine, I am worried to death about him. I will assist in any way I can. Just let me know how! Semper Fi, Marine!

Why his CO has not informed him of this yet is simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!