im confused

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zkovach, Jan 20, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I have a 30-30 bolt action rifle which has a detachable mag. I would like to reload the same bullets in it as my .308. I noticed the only reloading data you can get is with round nose. I understand that 30-30 are mostly lever action or tube style magazines. Is the any way i can reload a 30 cal nosler ballitic or accubond? And if i do where do i start since i have no load data?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

That is the beauty of handloading; you can certainly load a 30-30 with a ballistic tip bullet. As to where to start, this is when you have to be deliberate and researched. My first step would be to determine the freebore on your rifle and then make some dummy rounds. I would then compare case volumes with given loads/seating depths of published bullets. You'll also need to check your magazines acceptable length; a ballistic tip bullet, seated at minimal freebore may not cycle in the mag. I would start at min load and work up in smaller steps than usual and in small quanties, probably only 3 rounds at each progression.

A great book to read is Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions, by John Donnelly and Bryce Towsley. Even if you're not planning on doing complete wildcat conversions, this book is IMO, the best at explaining just what can be done in the world of handloading and how to procede with safety at the forefront.

Semper Fi,

Woolley
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  3. medalguy

medalguy Member

There's a reason .30-30 ammo has rounded bullet tips. In a high powered firearm with a tubular magazine, the primer of one round is sitting right on top of the hopefully rounded bullet of the round behind it. If it were sitting on a ballistic (read pointy) bullet, there is a very real chance the recoil could indent the primer with sufficient force to set it off, making for a very bad day for aNyone close to that rifle. That's why you won't find any load data for that type bullet anywhere.

I would suggest staying with RN bullets for your .30-30. As they say, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT."
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Yeah i undertsand that. i have a 45-70 essentially with the same rules. However the 30-30 i have has a detach mag/ bolt action style. I trust hornady's ballistics tip bullets for hunting thats why i want to load them for that gun.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Wow i am still quite impressed with Nosler. With this question i also called Nosler up and left a message. 30 seconds later they called me back with answers. They let me know that load data for the 30-30 with other bullets are in the handgun section of the book. Cheers to Nosler being so speedy and knowing their book and product back and forth!
  6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

What you could do is find the same bullet weight for your ballistic tip that matches the round nose bullets you do have loading data for and start at the lowest velocity and build up from there looking for any signs of to much pressure. Like woolleyworm stated you will need to check the seating depth of the bullet so it will fit the magazine and also not jam into the rifling when chambered.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

zkovach:

Some 20+ years ago the game of silhouette shooting was in its heyday. A common gun to use was a Thompson/Center Contender 14 inch pistol in 30-30 using pointed bullets. A search through the special sections of older reloading manuals (maybe even new manuals?) for 30-30 pistol loads (for the TC) might reveal combinations that work. But if you got a direct response from Nosler go with their info.

I had (my son has it now) a TC in a 20 inch barrel with a rifle stock that I shot pointed bullets in with no problems using reloading data from reloading manuals of the day.

LDBennett
  8. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Yes i looked and nosler had all the info in the handgun section. Im not really a handgun guy so i didnt think to look there. Im pretty happy that i can shhot the ballistic tip out of the 30-30 now!!!!!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

One reason for the blunt design of .30-30 bullets is to aide bullet performance because its a much milder round. most of the bullets designed for use in the .30-30 are of considerably weaker construction so they will perform on game the way they should. Using standard projectiles designed for high power .30 cals may not expand the way it should at .30-30 velocities. It wont make a difference on paper and the ballistic tipped projectiles may prove to be tack drivers from the .30-30 case but it may be as good as a FMJ on a deer passing right through without expanding much at all. A good test would be to shoot a barrel of water at the distances you plan to hunt with it to test bullet expansion. If the bullet passes clean through a 55 gal drum full of water at say 100 yds, thats a good indication the bullet isnt expanding and would perform the same on a deer...
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thats a good idea ill give it a shot.