I'm HOT

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gene Seward, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have reloaded and adjusted and reloaded and adjusted my 9mm, and it will feed just fine in my Glock 17 and "will not" in my XD. It just will not go into full battery before it hangs up and has to be pried open. Is it just the gun is cut too close to tolerances? Or am I stupid and not doing something right? I have loaded a few hundred in 223 and got great feed and accuracy, and I do in the Glock 9mm. I am frustrated as heck, and thinking of getting rid of the XD right now. Sorry about the rant, but like I said I am hot.
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Gene, interesting. I am loading for my glock 17 and my xd sub as we speak. Hopefully you are using fmj's because I do know hp are giving troubles to others I've chatted with on this matter. I'll keep you updated on my findings...don't give up!
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Shooter I am using Nosler sporting handgun bullets (hollow points), but used Winchester and Zero HP with the same results. I can load them about as cheap as FMJ and not worry about having what I want in the gun all the time. Maybe they don't slide on the ramp good enough? I will not give up, but will be looking for another Glock too. I have several hundred rounds of reloads now, and love to do it.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Gene Seward:

Measure the outside diameter of your reloads at the junction of the case and the bullet. If you do not get the bell out of the case with the taper crimp, then the cartridge may exceed the dimensions in the reloading manual.

What about the length of the cases after sizing? Do they match the max case length in the reloading manual? If the cases are too long then they will protrude out of the barrel too much (the bullet depth of penetration into the barrel is controlled by the length of the case as the front edge seats in a recess in the chamber---headspaces on the case front edge).

At one point I was having similar problems years ago so I bought a MAXIMUM Length case gage for 9mm. You drop the completed round in to the gage and it must protrude out of either end. You can feel it with your finger. It will point out the taper crimp problem or any sizing problems. It also is a max length gage as the bullet must not project beyond the bullet end of the gage. If all your ammo drops into the gage and doesn't exceed the maximums, then it is good ammo made correctly, regardless of the gun it is used in.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=568957&t=11082005

Midway is out of stock right now but there are other suppliers including Lee.

LDBennett
  5. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

L.D. thanks for the heads up. I will order one today.
  6. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

L.D. you are the man. I adjusted again on the sizer die and it fits soooooooo much better and will go into battery all the way, and cycles. You must have been doing this for a day or two? HUH?
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i had the sam problem with my .45 right after i changed barrels, turns out that the barrel i put in had a tighter throat (no freebore) and the one i took out had nearly an 8th of an inch. just had to seat my bullets a tad deeper...