Im in the AR club finally

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by zkovach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Thanks for your guys previous posts on helping me understand the ar. I wound up with a dpms oracle in 7.62 nato. here are the pics. i will now spend my days searching out some cool sights and scope any suggestions? scope would least like to be 2x 3x or 4x. enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

That is a beautiful gun. Let's just start a AR pic thread here......

The first is my AR15.....RRA lower, Del-Ton upper, 100 round B-mag

The second is my RRA LAR-8 .308 26" varmint rifle

I still have a stripped RRA lower that I hope to be building soon.

Attached Files:

3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That's a great looking gun, Zkovach. I need to join the AR club with my next purchase... but I'm headed down to my FFL here in a bit to pick up my new CZ 75BD, so it'll have to wait a while.

As for sights, everyone I've talked to seems to really like Eotech, but I've not had a chance to use one, and it may not fit your needs. Good luck in your search, and definitely have fun tricking that baby out. :D
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I wish that you had read this thread at AR15 BEFORE you bought it.

It may be painful, but read it so you will know what to expect from DPMS if you have a problem.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1089468
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I appreciate the post and i read through it. There is some questionable ammo being ran through those. Maybe some are defective im not sure. However i did buy this from a local dealer who i know, trust, and do a lot of biz with so i am not too worried. I do appreciate the post though. When global warming hits here soon in michigan (or as we used to call it spring) i will hit the range and give you guys the report.
  6. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I have looked at eotech for a while.... mostly looked at the price tag.. It may be a good solution for quick aquisition. i also saw (for some range) a prostaff by nikon 2-7 power which would be perfect for where i hunt and shoot.
  7. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Congrats Zkovach! ARs are addicting to shoot you will love it.

Here is my first AR got it a few weeks ago!

POF P308 in all her glory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Nice gun Tony22-250. I like the silver and black and the full top rail. You get a good price on it?
  9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

why thank you. It was$2400 out the door (no troy sights) MSRP is now $3000

It draws attention like you would not believe! I still have some accessories to add to it. im making it a REPR (Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle)

One question why are all the AR threads in the Pre ban section???
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

We're just being preemptive of Obama's upcoming policies... :mad:

In reality, I've wondered for a while why this forum is still open now that the ban has sunset (for almost seven years).
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I was looking at those Troy sights how are they? I was looking at the tritium rears and a truglow gasblock front. This way I could line up all the dots
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Attached Files:

13. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Good deal on the AR. We have 5 now, and really like hunting with them on snowmachine & atv. Get a sling so you can keep the gun cross ways across chest, really great for hunting.

I have cheap leupolds on 223's and an old aimpoint. Stuck a acog with horseshoe/red dot on 6.8 stag and killed some caribou last fall with it. I'm thinking about a 2.5X8X32 nightforce on the 338 fed, pretty high though. I wonder if my old eyes can even see the difference between $1200 nightforce & $700 leupold? I like that acog better than any other scope I have (quick shooter), even Illuminated VX3's. But acog is price of the gun almost too.
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I scanned through it as well and see lots of favorable comments... As always with an AR, quality mags and ammo are paramount. Gotta love these hillbillies who slap a no name mag loaded up with Olympic ammo in their AR then jump on-line and start cussing it. :D

My DPMS hums right along with any other AR I've owned. Flawless.

Crpdeth
  15. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

The Troys are amazing.You don't get any better for ironsights. Don't settle for anything less. also mine are the micro sights to keep my height over bore down lower given the height of the raised rail.

I was thinking about getting getting the tritium but i opted not to simply because im putting a night force on it!
  16. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Oh as for scope suggestions my friend has a 4x32 ACOG on his DPMS and it does anything you want it to. ACOGs are amazing tools. I was able to make off hand shots at 600yds on steel plates as fast as I could reacquire sight picture and pull the trigger.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  17. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Can u use the acog and eotech with any caliber. I assummed they had a bdc for the 223 only?
  18. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

They make 4X32 acogs with bdc lines in 223, 6.8, and 308. That horseshoe is the ticket, quickest scope I have ever had. I don't use the bdc lines that much, anything out over 300 yards is somewhat hard to target (for me) with bdc lines. The acog is my favorite for up to 300 yards which is where most shots are taken anyway. Take a look at trijicon site and all the reticles.

I killed a few caribou last fall with acog. We road hunt alot, quick shots from trk window within 150 yards of road and off 4 wheeler. I killed one way off at over 500 yards, but ghost ring covered clear up over bou's high rack. So I popped a few quick shots raising as I went, dropped him just the same. We are subsistence hunters, just fresh meat and at that distance, a normal reticle would work better but luv the acog for most of the time out and about.

The one draw back I find with acogs is that after 7-8 years, the brightness starts to degrade. Friends tell me, it will become bothersome to the point that you will send it back to have it recharged, "COSTS $400" I'd probably have 4-5 acogs if it wasn't for that aspect. Something ain't right about recharging a scope every 7-8 years.

I even took the 6.8 with acog a few nights for moose, I like the illumination at dusk. I hear you can also tape those flourescent sticks along top of scope and they really improve intensity when dark.

Acogs are the price of a new AR, great for quick shots, definitely need at least one, but when I spend around a gran on a scope; I want a top of the line Leupold or maybe a Nightforce. Grandkids won't have to have them recharged when the day comes they need them.
  19. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

They make 4X32 acogs with bdc lines in 223, 6.8, and 308. That horseshoe is the ticket, quickest scope I have ever had. I don't use the bdc lines that much, anything out over 300 yards is somewhat hard to target (for me) with bdc lines. The acog is my favorite for up to 300 yards which is where most shots are taken anyway. Take a look at trijicon site and all the reticles.

I killed a few caribou last fall with acog. We road hunt alot, quick shots from trk window within 150 yards of road and off 4 wheeler. I killed one way off at over 500 yards, but ghost ring covered clear up over bou's high rack. So I popped a few quick shots raising as I went, dropped him just the same. We are subsistence hunters, just fresh meat and at that distance, a normal reticle would work better but luv the acog for most of the time out and about.

The one draw back I find with acogs is that after 7-8 years, the brightness starts to degrade. Friends tell me, it will become bothersome to the point that you will send it back to have it recharged, "COSTS $400" I'd probably have 4-5 acogs if it wasn't for that aspect. Something ain't right about recharging a scope every 7-8 years.

I even took the 6.8 with acog a few nights for moose, I like the illumination at dusk. I hear you can also tape those flourescent sticks along top of scope and they really improve intensity when dark.

Acogs are the price of a new AR, great for quick shots, definitely need at least one, but when I spend around a gran on a scope; I want a top of the line Leupold or maybe a Nightforce. Grandkids won't have to have them recharged when the day comes they need them.
  20. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

You did good with the DPMS!! I have one of the LR-308L and it works great, feels great, and fantastic accuracy. I am sorry that the guy on the other site had a bad experience, but that is like anything else. You can get good and bad anything. All I can say is enjoy, and welcome to wonderful world of the AR.