1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Im in the AR club finally

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by zkovach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Oh as for scope suggestions my friend has a 4x32 ACOG on his DPMS and it does anything you want it to. ACOGs are amazing tools. I was able to make off hand shots at 600yds on steel plates as fast as I could reacquire sight picture and pull the trigger.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Can u use the acog and eotech with any caliber. I assummed they had a bdc for the 223 only?
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

They make 4X32 acogs with bdc lines in 223, 6.8, and 308. That horseshoe is the ticket, quickest scope I have ever had. I don't use the bdc lines that much, anything out over 300 yards is somewhat hard to target (for me) with bdc lines. The acog is my favorite for up to 300 yards which is where most shots are taken anyway. Take a look at trijicon site and all the reticles.

I killed a few caribou last fall with acog. We road hunt alot, quick shots from trk window within 150 yards of road and off 4 wheeler. I killed one way off at over 500 yards, but ghost ring covered clear up over bou's high rack. So I popped a few quick shots raising as I went, dropped him just the same. We are subsistence hunters, just fresh meat and at that distance, a normal reticle would work better but luv the acog for most of the time out and about.

The one draw back I find with acogs is that after 7-8 years, the brightness starts to degrade. Friends tell me, it will become bothersome to the point that you will send it back to have it recharged, "COSTS $400" I'd probably have 4-5 acogs if it wasn't for that aspect. Something ain't right about recharging a scope every 7-8 years.

I even took the 6.8 with acog a few nights for moose, I like the illumination at dusk. I hear you can also tape those flourescent sticks along top of scope and they really improve intensity when dark.

Acogs are the price of a new AR, great for quick shots, definitely need at least one, but when I spend around a gran on a scope; I want a top of the line Leupold or maybe a Nightforce. Grandkids won't have to have them recharged when the day comes they need them.
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

They make 4X32 acogs with bdc lines in 223, 6.8, and 308. That horseshoe is the ticket, quickest scope I have ever had. I don't use the bdc lines that much, anything out over 300 yards is somewhat hard to target (for me) with bdc lines. The acog is my favorite for up to 300 yards which is where most shots are taken anyway. Take a look at trijicon site and all the reticles.

I killed a few caribou last fall with acog. We road hunt alot, quick shots from trk window within 150 yards of road and off 4 wheeler. I killed one way off at over 500 yards, but ghost ring covered clear up over bou's high rack. So I popped a few quick shots raising as I went, dropped him just the same. We are subsistence hunters, just fresh meat and at that distance, a normal reticle would work better but luv the acog for most of the time out and about.

The one draw back I find with acogs is that after 7-8 years, the brightness starts to degrade. Friends tell me, it will become bothersome to the point that you will send it back to have it recharged, "COSTS $400" I'd probably have 4-5 acogs if it wasn't for that aspect. Something ain't right about recharging a scope every 7-8 years.

I even took the 6.8 with acog a few nights for moose, I like the illumination at dusk. I hear you can also tape those flourescent sticks along top of scope and they really improve intensity when dark.

Acogs are the price of a new AR, great for quick shots, definitely need at least one, but when I spend around a gran on a scope; I want a top of the line Leupold or maybe a Nightforce. Grandkids won't have to have them recharged when the day comes they need them.
  5. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

You did good with the DPMS!! I have one of the LR-308L and it works great, feels great, and fantastic accuracy. I am sorry that the guy on the other site had a bad experience, but that is like anything else. You can get good and bad anything. All I can say is enjoy, and welcome to wonderful world of the AR.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Where in Michigan are you? There is a range in Bay City that has a 200 yard indoor rifle range. I bought my AK early in the winter while living in Michigan, and I took a day to go over there to shoot it because I couldn't wait four months for the thaw.

I think this is the place. http://duncansoutdoor.com/
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Im in metro Detroit area. Bay city would be too far... for me. i am part of a gun club here in plymouth so i am just waiting for t-shirt weather you know at least 40 degrees then im heading outside.
  8. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Question for you guys. I know zip about ar-15s so I just ordered a couble DVDs about dossassembly and maintenance. These DVDs are for the milspec ar's. What differences will I encounter with the dpms lr-308. Anything big?
  9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Nope. ARs are very simple when it comes to field stripping cleaning and maintenance. Now to fully strip an AR is a different story and a pain in the arse with out the proper tools.

The only difference between DPMS is that your take down pins are a different size than standard pins. so your upper and lower may not be compatible with other manufactures upper and lower recivers.

You know you didnt have to order DVDs. most AR stuff can be found on youtube. But i will recommend a dvd for you. get the magpul dynamics art of the tactical carbine part 1 and 2 they are very informative on everything!
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Sweet that makes me feel more confident. I watch some u tube videos but sometimes I get so frustrated because a person will talk about a pin for 20 minutes and skip over whAt I need to see. I spent a lot on the gun so what's an extra 40 bucks on peace of mind and proper maintenance. Thanks for the post I'm happy to hear I can watch the movies and have no surprises when I take it apart.
  11. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

12. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I believe mine has that triple ring piston
  14. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

No this is what I mean by gas piston.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhNrRb7Cls

Your DPMS is a DI (direct impingment) which means when a round is fired gas goes through a tube in to your upper receiver and bolt carrier group making it dirty. Hence the carrier cleaning tool.
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

So I should pick up that tool then.