Im in the AR club finally

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by zkovach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Where in Michigan are you? There is a range in Bay City that has a 200 yard indoor rifle range. I bought my AK early in the winter while living in Michigan, and I took a day to go over there to shoot it because I couldn't wait four months for the thaw.

I think this is the place. http://duncansoutdoor.com/
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Im in metro Detroit area. Bay city would be too far... for me. i am part of a gun club here in plymouth so i am just waiting for t-shirt weather you know at least 40 degrees then im heading outside.
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Question for you guys. I know zip about ar-15s so I just ordered a couble DVDs about dossassembly and maintenance. These DVDs are for the milspec ar's. What differences will I encounter with the dpms lr-308. Anything big?
  4. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Nope. ARs are very simple when it comes to field stripping cleaning and maintenance. Now to fully strip an AR is a different story and a pain in the arse with out the proper tools.

The only difference between DPMS is that your take down pins are a different size than standard pins. so your upper and lower may not be compatible with other manufactures upper and lower recivers.

You know you didnt have to order DVDs. most AR stuff can be found on youtube. But i will recommend a dvd for you. get the magpul dynamics art of the tactical carbine part 1 and 2 they are very informative on everything!
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Sweet that makes me feel more confident. I watch some u tube videos but sometimes I get so frustrated because a person will talk about a pin for 20 minutes and skip over whAt I need to see. I spent a lot on the gun so what's an extra 40 bucks on peace of mind and proper maintenance. Thanks for the post I'm happy to hear I can watch the movies and have no surprises when I take it apart.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

7. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

8. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I believe mine has that triple ring piston
  9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

No this is what I mean by gas piston.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhNrRb7Cls

Your DPMS is a DI (direct impingment) which means when a round is fired gas goes through a tube in to your upper receiver and bolt carrier group making it dirty. Hence the carrier cleaning tool.
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

So I should pick up that tool then.
  11. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Thats really up to you. I say shoot it a bunch and then decide what you have trouble cleaning. some stuff is just a ploy to get your money. none of my friends with di guns have that tool.
  12. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Gotcha and thanks for all the info guys!
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

14. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Wow that makes life alot easier for getting that crud off of the gas ring!
  15. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Got my DVDs in the mail from midaway. Getting excited to learn all about my ar-15
  16. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Let us know which dvd you liked best, worth the money?
  17. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I got the On target ar-15 dissassmbley and reassembly video and the midway usa gunsmithing the ar-15 video. The on target video is just complete basics was was exactley what i needed. It also added some range tips as far as competitive shooting. The midway dvd shows assembly from start to finish. Both were great and i have a way better understanding of all the parts now. i could see building one of these in the future and having no problem. I am typically a bolt action guy and didnt want to touch my ar-15 untill i knew how it all worked. Im confident in it know so getting excited to go to the range. I just need my sights to get it. I went with the troy battle tritium sight and a fiber optic front. i havent decided on a mid to longer range sight but i have plenty of time to figure that out while the bank account is recooping.

As far as which dvd i like best the ontarget is great for takedown and cleaning, the midway is great for building start to finish. both were good videos. I am not mechanically inclined so i typically buy videos to get a good feeling how everything works.
  18. gdcpony

gdcpony New Member

Nice AR! For a scope I would look at a little known company called Konus. I tried one of their shotgun scopes on my 20ga Ultraslugger (H&R) and liked it so much I bought 5 more. So far they have taken all the abuse I (and my kids) have heaped on them and kept going. That one also has a reticle I love too. It has a bold diamond that is great for fast shots and inside that it has a fine crosshair that makes more precise shots easy too. I carry it dialed to 1.5x and if I have time to aim on a distant target I dial it up to 5x. The model I use is their 7249 1.5-5x32, and I get them for about $70-$80.

Here are some of my AR for you. Just a basic DPMS and my best load to date (averages .360 actually).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  19. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I been doing some work on mine. I bought an American Defense Q.d. Mount which works awesome! I put a leupold 2-7 on it since I may deer hunt with it(.308)
    tonight I just bought a chip McCormick trigger because the factory trigger was very rough and hard to get decent groups. As far as the dpms function it worked fantastic. I couldn't have been happier at the range! I'll add pics here shortly
  20. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

heres the pic.

Attached Files:

• tn.jpg
      tn.jpg
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views: