Im in the AR club finally

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by zkovach, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Thats really up to you. I say shoot it a bunch and then decide what you have trouble cleaning. some stuff is just a ploy to get your money. none of my friends with di guns have that tool.
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Gotcha and thanks for all the info guys!
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

4. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Wow that makes life alot easier for getting that crud off of the gas ring!
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Got my DVDs in the mail from midaway. Getting excited to learn all about my ar-15
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Let us know which dvd you liked best, worth the money?
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I got the On target ar-15 dissassmbley and reassembly video and the midway usa gunsmithing the ar-15 video. The on target video is just complete basics was was exactley what i needed. It also added some range tips as far as competitive shooting. The midway dvd shows assembly from start to finish. Both were great and i have a way better understanding of all the parts now. i could see building one of these in the future and having no problem. I am typically a bolt action guy and didnt want to touch my ar-15 untill i knew how it all worked. Im confident in it know so getting excited to go to the range. I just need my sights to get it. I went with the troy battle tritium sight and a fiber optic front. i havent decided on a mid to longer range sight but i have plenty of time to figure that out while the bank account is recooping.

As far as which dvd i like best the ontarget is great for takedown and cleaning, the midway is great for building start to finish. both were good videos. I am not mechanically inclined so i typically buy videos to get a good feeling how everything works.
  8. gdcpony

gdcpony New Member

Nice AR! For a scope I would look at a little known company called Konus. I tried one of their shotgun scopes on my 20ga Ultraslugger (H&R) and liked it so much I bought 5 more. So far they have taken all the abuse I (and my kids) have heaped on them and kept going. That one also has a reticle I love too. It has a bold diamond that is great for fast shots and inside that it has a fine crosshair that makes more precise shots easy too. I carry it dialed to 1.5x and if I have time to aim on a distant target I dial it up to 5x. The model I use is their 7249 1.5-5x32, and I get them for about $70-$80.

Here are some of my AR for you. Just a basic DPMS and my best load to date (averages .360 actually).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  9. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I been doing some work on mine. I bought an American Defense Q.d. Mount which works awesome! I put a leupold 2-7 on it since I may deer hunt with it(.308)
    tonight I just bought a chip McCormick trigger because the factory trigger was very rough and hard to get decent groups. As far as the dpms function it worked fantastic. I couldn't have been happier at the range! I'll add pics here shortly
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

heres the pic.

Attached Files:

• tn.jpg
      tn.jpg
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views:
  11. the yooper

the yooper New Member

well guys i just ordered a rra lower and dpms upper aint hear yet. but i will give a true range report no matter if it is good bad or ugley. only thing i have to compair it to is my colt match AR 15 its great! had 14 years now not a single prob. but only put 5000 rounds through it so far. time will tell.
  12. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

All these AR's are making me drool! I've been thinkin about em, but seem to always need somethin different, like a new bolt action or 1911. I think I'm goin to get serious and pick one up before summer. I've gotten alot of ideas from you guy's so I know what to look for when making my choice. Thanks
  13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Small update: I just installed a chip McCormick flat tactical trigger in the ar-15.
    It breaks wonderfully now! It's night and day difference. I would highly suggest it to anyone! Ill follow up with a range report.
  14. Dirty

Dirty New Member

Ive had an ACOG for a number of years now, put it thru two tours, and its still been holding up nicely. They take a beating and keep on ticking, and once properly zeroed, make distance shooting quick and easy. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I really felt a need, but I currently don't.