I'm in the market for a new knife.

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by bmpeele, Apr 3, 2010.

1. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

I'm searching for a new knife to use for hunting/fishing/hiking. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to any web sites, brand names, or certain knives that would be good. I would prefer it to be a fixed blade, not too big or too small. Between $25 and $80. Serrated or not dosn't matter. Any suggestions from anyone?
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I just bought a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter for around $50 and could not be happier with it. It has a nice and thick 3 1/2 inch hollow ground fixed blade. It comes with a Kraton grip molded around the tang.

I liked mine so well it rotates as my every day carry knife with my SOG Aegis folder.

http://www.the-knife-connection.com/cs-pendhunt-36lpss.html

The above link will take you to The Knife Connection where I got mine. It has all the info listed on the knife. Oh yea, they ship for free and if you are ever so lucky enough they give away every 30th order that comes through the store up to $100.
  3. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

I'm looking for something with a bit bogger of a blade than that. But I'll certain consider it, it looks to be very high qaulity from what the site said.
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  6. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

I think I have come to a decision. Thank you everybody for your help. I'm going the Big Rock knife from Gerber. I had a Gerber folding knife with 3 changable blades and was ver please with it. I just wished I hadn't dropped it while fishing.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Cool, I'll have to check them out too. I am always nosing around on the knife sites.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I dont think you can go wrong with Gerber. Ive been useing a Gerber Gator the last couple of years and one of the best (hunting) knives Ive used in a while for the price.
  9. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Can you say lanyard? Good luck with your new knife.
  10. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

So everytime we go to order the knife something goes wrong. We tried ordering it online and the website wouldn't load, we tried calling to try and order that way and could never get a hold of anyone. So I think I will check some local pawnshops and see what they have around. The place that we get our dog food from has a nice one for $150. It was handmade by the gunsmith that works there.
  11. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

12. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy you might look at Cutco.com.They have 2 types of knves, straight blade and there version of serrated blade called the Double D. Made in the USA. I bought there white handle Double D knife and here to tell you that its the best knife I Ever used.. And you won't find a better Gurantee any wear. After 40 years of hunting, traping,and fishing I have collected around 32 knives. You name I got it or sold it the cutco out works them all. Best of luck in the future.
  13. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

I was at one of the pawn shops today and they had a Cutco knife in there. It looked nice but they had it priced at $150.00. Now is that to much, is that a good deal, is it about right?
  14. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Yes, I think thats to much!! No hunting knife I have ever seen in there catalog was priced that high. The model I got is the Hunting knife in a gift box. They also carey a drop point and a clip point. Same great blades different handles You can check them out at Cutco.com, go to Sporting knives. Or you can phone 1 800 633 8325. I saw these knives on Ebay as well you might get a better idea on prices from them. Have fun!!!
  15. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

Okay, thanks tim, and also I heard alot about a company called BOKER. Are they any good for the price?
  16. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

IMHO, Boker is a great knife, I own a Lock blade hunter with a 3 1/2 inch blade. Quailty knife I belive I payed 130.00 for it . You can check them out at smokey moumtain knife works. www.smkw.com
  17. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

My computer wont load the website. But I think I will go with a Boker I saw at the gunshop near in the next county.
  18. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I bought a Kershaw Leek 1660 on Amazon for $37 with no shipping. It's an excellent knife at I felt a decent price.