I'm looking at getting a .410 shotgun for my wife

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by mjp28, Dec 2, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting a .410 shotgun for my wife, kind of an "under the bed" gun if she's home alone and something happens and she needs to "make some noise" if you know what I mean.

She has a western style six shooter .22LR/.22MAG with the .22MAG cylinder in now but I want another shotgun around. (mine are a bit big for her, 5' 1" maybe size)

I'm just starting my search now and open to ideas, I've also had good luck buying used before -but- new, used, whatever.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Here you go mjp.

BUCK SHOT: Winchester makes a .410 buckshot load in a 2 ½ inch shell containing three "triple-ought" or 000 buck shot. The 000 buck is .360 in diameter, weighs 71 grains, and the first pellet out of the two shells which I chronographed out of a Remington Model 870 with 25 inch barrel crossed the chronograph screens at slightly above 1250 fps with a muzzle energy of nearly 250 ft. lbs. The other pellets were no doubt going nearly as fast. That gives three pellets each with as much energy as a standard .38 special police load, and a total energy of 750 ft. lbs. That would have to be quite effective.

I would not want to get shot with that.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

.410, I'd probably stick with an O/U or SxS, those little shells don't feed all that reliably compared to 20 or 12g.

The one I have for skeet (Verona O/U) is a bit long for HD but it is certainly light and easy to handle. load her up with some OOO buck 3" shells to get rid of the riff-raff
  4. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    What about the PDX rounds that were developed for the Judge and Governor?
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, those things look pretty effective. I've not played with them yet though, a little pricey.
  6. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was first thinking that way, no single shot, I've been looking around and they aren't really cheap at all. I also didn't want to spend Judge or Governor money (~$600+)....but I'd like one. :) Still going to look around for a deal, some quality .410s are really pricey, I'll settle for less.

I was first thinking about 000 but that Win PDX does sound nasty!

...Highly effective in both shotguns and 410 compatible handguns, the PDX1 in 410 gauge features a distinctive black hull and black oxide high-base head and combines three plated Defense Disc™ projectiles and 12 pellets of plated BB shot. The result is the ideal personal protection load for short range engagement with the performance needed to stop threats. This load is also suitable for varmint hunting and pest control. Designed for use in the Taurus Judge, this new personal defense round provides maximum protection at close range...
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Oh I brought this up to my wife and at first she was skeptical -but- like I told her there's something secure or maybe just scary having a double bbl in your hands....even a dumb bad guy knows he's not getting away from getting hit with something! :D:D
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

9. ozo

ozo Active Member

I thought about a youth model Mossberg .410 pump
    not long ago and wanted a pistol grip for it.
    I don't remember exactly what I discovered.....but
    best of my memory one fit it.
    Whether it was the same as the Model 500 or not,
    the Pachmayr or Hogue.....????
    But I seem to think it was available.

I have SXS's [12/410] and a 500[12ga] w/pistol grip
    but thought a 410 pump would be a good addition.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    For effective two legged critter control a 20 would be better but if you are going the .410 route then may I suggest Mossberg 505 with 20" barrel, ideal for an under bed gun. Pair it with sights and a small light. Load it with slugs instead of buck shot and she won't have to shoot twice very often.

lightweight and can carry (5) 3" shells or (6) 2 1/2" shells. Boogerman won't notice the difference at in house ranges.
  11. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the good ideas, I'd like her to pick up a pump....remember she's never fired a rifle....and feel it, try it, get comfy with it -or- a double bbl. She still has the Western rim fire .22MAG as a BUG but she...or me would like a OO as a peacemaker.

I have a 20ga, 12ga but a .410 might fit here.

Dear Santa.... :)
  12. BillM

BillM Active Member

I'm not a big fan of pistol grip pump shotguns, but a .410 might not be
    too bad.

Mossberg made the model HS410. Pistol grips fore and aft, goofy
    belled muzzle. Kind of a cute little unit.
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

How about the Mossberg 510 mini? It's available in 4:10. Under $400.

mossberg 510 mini.png
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at all the various mfgrs, Remington and Mossberg included.

Have any of you guys owned or used one in .410? Like it?
  15. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Mine is an old Mossberg Model 183KE bolt action and 3 shots with an adjustable choke. I first shot it a couple of years ago at frozen bottles of water with 4-O buck and slugs at 8 yards and was surprised and impressed. I have the choke set at full and I can keep all my slugs, (all 3 of them), in the scoring ring of a 50 yard small bore target at 25 yards. Not exactly rifle accurate and I am sure a better shot gunner than me could do better but at in house ranges a boogerman wouldn't want anybody in my house using that gun on him. A pump action or semi auto with double the number of rounds would be pure wicked.
  16. ozo

ozo Active Member

.410 and 12ga Coachguns
    Mossberg 500 w/Pachmayr

Attached Files:

17. ozo

ozo Active Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  18. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I have an el cheapo junko, a very old 20 ga from Sears I got used from a guy going into the service who got it from a guy going into the service. It also has the world's most dangerous safety which rattles around, too easy to flick on/off.

Bolt action 3 shot and I've had a lot of fun with it, shot or slugs, even took it hunting, got a rabbit on my 1st shot! My two gun nut buddies that day never got a shot off, one with a fine Mossberg, the other a Rem 1100 3" mag...he got so pizzed off he emptied it into a tree before we left.

I did get to shoot it later when we went plinking targets...great gun.

OH back to .410, a lot of people are getting them for home security or plinking, might fit my little wife well....or me. :)
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  19. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a little single shot .410 snakecharmer that I leave for the wife. She has only fired it one time - killed a plastic "tote" bucket in my closet several years ago!!

Sorry about the size of the picture!

Attached Files: