1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I'm looking for a great book on guns and shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockworthy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Rockworthy

Rockworthy New Member

Hello gigantic gun forum! I just registered. I love guns and shooting, and actually grew up shooting and have many guns that I have just inherited. I want to get back into shooting. But now I'm an adult and have learned that having a really solid understanding of the basics, of any art form, is essential if you want to get really good at it.

What I'm looking for is a book on guns, rifles in particular, and what makes an accurate rifle, the concepts involved, and also some really in-depth information of how to be as accurate as I can. Can anyone suggest a book or two that would be an incredible resource for someone wanting to learn as much as they can about how to be a great shot?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you soon.

Crpdeth
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome aboard! Sorry I dont have any books to recommend, but I am glad your here. Stick around and learn stuff from the folks here and feel free to join in too!
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I did a google search and found this site where someone posted this lengthy list. Maybe some of these will be of help.

http://www.armyparatrooper.org/drop...ccuracy-Marksmanship-and-Competitive-Shooting

Some books on Rifle Accuracy, Marksmanship, and Competitive Shooting.
    I put this list of books together for someone asking information on books for Rifle Marksmanship. It was on another website and I thought I would share the list here. Maybe some others can add books I have not listed. And maybe the moderators or whoever can make it a sticky.
    I have added substantially to this list. I have read these books over a period of over twenty years!

Books on Firearms

Benchrest shooting:
    1) The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page
    2) The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy by Glenn Newick
    3) The Accurate Varmint Rifle by Boyd Mace

Rifle Marksmanship:
    1) Marksmanship, An illustrated guide to better shooting by Gary L. Anderson
    2) Successful Shooting by Bill Pullum and Frank Hanenkrat
    3) Competitive Shooting by A. A. Yur' Yev (An excellent, and by far, the finest in Competitive shooting by a Russian rifle coach translated and published by the N.R.A. Includes pistol).

High Power Service and Match Rifle competition:
    1) The Competitive AR 15 (the mouse that roared) by Glen D. Zediker
    2) High Power Rifle by (the incomparable) G. David Tubb
    3) Black Magic, The Ultra Accurate AR-15 by John Feamster
    4) Competitive Shooting Excellence with the High Power Target Rifle by Lester W. Karas, P, Eng.

The Gun Digest Books on the AR-15: Inside Information on America's Most Versatile Rifle:
    1) The AR-15: History, Performance Tests, and Maintenance Tips by Patrick Sweeney
    2) The AR-15 Vol. 2: Customization Projects, Performance Tests, Magazines & Ammunition by Patrick Sweeney

Books on the Craft of Military and Police Sniping:
    1) The Military and Police Sniper by Mike Lau
    2) The Ultimate Sniper by John L. Plaster
    3) Sniper Counter Sniper: A Guide for Special Response Teams by Mark V. Lonsdale (Specialized Tactical Training Unit)
    4) SNIPER II by Mark V. Lonsdale (Specialized Tactical Training Unit)
    5) Advanced Weapons Training: For Hostage Rescue Teams by Mark V. Lonsdale (Specialized Tactical Training Unit)

"Classic" Books on Sniping from the Civil War onwards:
    1) Shock Troops of the Confederacy: The Sharpshooter Battalions of the Army of Northern Virginia by Fred L. Ray
    2) A Rifleman Went to War by H. W. McBride
    3) Sniping in the Great War by Martin Pegler
    4) Sniping in France: How the British Army won the Sniping War in the Trenches by Maj. H. Hesketh Prichard, D.S.O., M.C.
    5) With British Snipers to the Reich by Captain C. Shore
    6) Sniper: on the Eastern Front: The memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross (Controversial-may be pseudo-historical) by Albrecht Wacker
    7) Stalk and Kill: The Sniper Experience by Adrian Gilbert
    8) Stalkers and Shooters: A History of Snipers by Kevin Dockery
    9) One Shot - One Kill: American Combat Snipers, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Beirut by Charles W. Sasser and Craig Roberts
    10) Hogs in the Shadows: Combat Stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq by Milo S. Afong
    11) Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper by Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, U.S.M.C.

Biographical Books on Carlos Hathcock II:
    1) Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills by Charles Henderson
    2) Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Vietnam Story Continues by Charles Henderson
    3) White Feather:

The Chandler & Chandler Series on Marine Corps Sniping: Presentation Numbered and Signed Edition:
    1) Volume 1: Death From Afar
    2) Volume 2: Death From Afar
    3) Volume 3: Death From Afar: The Black Book
    4) Volume 4: Death From Afar
    5) Volume 5: Death From Afar

The Peter R. Senich / Paladin Press Series on Military Sniping:
    1) The German Sniper: 1914 - 1945
    2) The Complete Book of U.S. Sniping
    3) The U.S. Marine Corps Scout-Sniper: World War II and Korea
    4) The Long Range War: Sniping in Vietnam (Emphasized U.S. Army Sniping with Development of M21 System by USAMTU and Leatherwood Telescope)
    5) The One-Round War: U.S.M.C. Scout-Snipers in Vietnam

Books by Collector Grade Publications on German Small Arms design:
    1) Backbone of the Wehrmacht: The GERMAN K98k RIFLE 1934-1945, 1st Edition by Richard D. Law
    2) Backbone of the Wehrmacht Volume II: Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle by Richard D. Law
    3) Death From Above: The German FG42 Paratroop Rifle by Thomas B. Dugelby and R. Blake Stevens (series editor)

Other Books on German Small Arms Design During the First Half of the Twentieth Century:
    1) The German Assault Rifle 1935-1945 by Peter R. Senich
    2) German Military Rifles and Machine Pistols 1871-1945 by Hans Dieter Gotz (with umlaut over the o)
    3) Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Robert W. D. Bell (Vol.II forthcoming)

Books on Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Series by Collector Grade Publications:
    1) Volume One: U.S. Rifle M14 from John Garand to the M21 by R. Blake Stevens
    2) Volume Two: The SPIW: The Deadliest Weapon That Never Was by R. Blake Stevens and Edward C. Ezell
    3) Volume Three: The Black Rifle: M16 Retrospective by R. Blake stevens and Edward C. Ezell
    4) Volume Three?: Black Rifle II: The M16 Into The 21st Century by Christopher R. Bartocci

Miscellaneous Books on the Various Topics Including Ian Skennerton's Books on the Lee Enfield Rifle and British Sniping:
    1) The History and Development of the M16 Rifle and its Cartridge by David R. Hughes
    2) Volume 1: The Bolt Action: A Design Analysis by Stuart Otteson
    3) The British Sniper: British & Commonwealth Sniping & Equipments 1915-1983 by Ian Skennerton
    4) The Lee-Enfield Story: The Lee-Metford, Lee-Enfield, S.M.L.E. and No. 4 Series Rifles and Carbines 1880 to the Present. by Ian Skennerton
    5) An Armourer's Perspective: .303 No. 4 (T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland Connection by Peter Laidler with Ian Skennerton

Books on Carbine combat and Present Day Lessons Learned:
    1) Green Eyes, Black Rifles by SGM Kyle E. Lamb (nobody retires from being a warrior)
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Get out there and shoot what you have and enjoy it.

Maybe you can write a book for us.:D;)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Highly recommend "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy" by Glenn Newick, its one of my favorite reads of all time.
  7. Rockworthy

Rockworthy New Member

Wow RunningOnMT, my god, thanks for such a thorough answer to my question. That's a wonderfully complete list of reading material thank you thank you! (And thanks to the others as well :) Long live the 2nd Amendment.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i recommend story of the gun by ian hogg. not so much about rifle accuracy but about firearm development, rifles included
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member