The Firearms Forum banner

I'm looking to buy a 380 for my wife

3K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  cluznar 
#1 ·
BUT heres the thing Not knowing WHO your dealing with
I'm sure theres a chance that the gun could be stolen or even worse used in a crime.
Is there any way of checking out the weapon's #'s
And God forbid checking theres not a homicide Squad
looking for a gun /Any gun any forum that I may be looking to buy?

Never know who your dealing with Via Internet

I have NEVER bought, sold, or traded a weapon on the net.

Any thoughts / sugestions

Thanks
"Mac"

#2 ·
DoubleD is in FL and I have no issue with trusting his advice 100%. You can do a member search or just browse the threads and you'll find him. Send him a PM and you're on your way!

#3 ·
Well, if you want to absolutely guarantee the gun has never been used in a crime or been stolen you will need to buy brand new.

I don't know about your state, but here in WV there is not a method for a private citizen to run a check on a firearm... only LEO's can do that. People can ask a LEO to check for them, but there isn't a way for them to just run a check themselves.

You didn't say what kind of gun you think you might be interested in, but there are several 380 Auto pistols available that are reasonably priced even at brand new prices. I know DoubleD has offered some excelent prices on guns, so I second wolleyworm on checking in with him.

Good luck, welcome to the board, and let us know shat she finally gets!

#4 ·
I am in live oak fl and can sell you a gun thru another dealer in your area. Any gun you buy on the net must go thru a local dealer. You would be better off to shop prices on the net and then shop prices locally. If prices are much better on the net, find out how much a local dealer will charge you to do a transfer. I charge 15.00 but some charge as high as 70.00. I dont have a web site but I can price you any gun you may be interested in. Send me a PM if I can help.

#5 ·
Just adding to what's already been said. Don't think I'd make my first purchase over the internet. I did contact a fellow through this board and meet him face to face and purchase the gun. On all my purchases I've made them through private parties, gun shows, gun shops and two dealers for new stuff. I never ran any of the numbers, nor do I know of any way to do that. It is not required in this state, I have followed all the guidelines and laws set forth to purchase these guns lawfully. Thats what I encourage you to do. Know how to make the purchase in your state legal and go from there.
Hopefully, the reason your wife wants a 380 is she has shot one and knows how it feels. If its comfortable its gonna shoot good. My point is what looks good, may not feel good. I almost made that error once. Good luck.

#6 · (Edited)
Dan gives solid advice. And is way cheap on transfers. Thats 5 bucks cheaper than my personal transfer price thru the shop, and only I get that price. Stu charges everyone else 40 bucks..

I buy guns from Top Gun in Arnold, MS from time to time over the phone. Its an easy phonecall to pay for the weapon and shipping (buying outta state excludes sales tax :thumbsup: ) and then getting their fax number so you can have your local dealer fax his FFL over so they can ship it to him. All firearms ship 2 day (As far as I know) via fed ex. Then when your dealer get it he will haev to log it in and then you can go fill out the paperwork on it and pay the transfer and take it home.

#7 ·
Just adding to what's already been said. Don't think I'd make my first purchase over the internet. I did contact a fellow through this board and meet him face to face and purchase the gun. On all my purchases I've made them through private parties, gun shows, gun shops and two dealers for new stuff. I never ran any of the numbers, nor do I know of any way to do that. It is not required in this state, I have followed all the guidelines and laws set forth to purchase these guns lawfully. Thats what I encourage you to do. Know how to make the purchase in your state legal and go from there.
Hopefully, the reason your wife wants a 380 is she has shot one and knows how it feels. If its comfortable its gonna shoot good. My point is what looks good, may not feel good. I almost made that error once. Good luck.
When you buy a gun over the internet, it MUST be shipped to a local dealer and that dealer MUST do a background check. So, as long as you deal with a reputable company I dont see the problem. I would check for local gun shows in your area and hit all the local shops. Call around and get some prices. I have some 380s for under 300.00 but you are going to want her to hold the guns and pick out what SHE wants. So, go shop around....

#8 ·
Hi Guys TYVM
I'm new here & like it here allready!
I feel dum but whats a PM & how do I do it?
Double D I will get with ya with some help.
I guess I need my 12 yr olds help here
She (My Wife)says my 9 is to heavy & hard to hide
She has shot a Bersa 380 & liked the feel (balance in her hand)
She just got her carry permit last weekend & now looking 4 something
to carry with her.
Moneys kinda tight but I would rather she got a Weapon & not a Junk piece.
I see her with a Bersa or a PPK Double D if you have either please let me know
LOL I would like to pick up a 380PPK for myself A friend has one I have shot, & for a smaller gun I was grouping them in a 3-4" @ about 25 yds
OK LOL let the laughter begin when ya all tell me how to do this PM thing!
Thanks all for your Input & when she gets one or the other I will be sure to let you know what it is.
Thanks
Mac

#9 ·
Any firearms purchase, especially private party sales, can be treated as a transfer thru a local gunshop. Its the safest and most legal way to do it.

#10 ·
Hi Guys TYVM
I'm new here & like it here allready!
I feel dum but whats a PM & how do I do it?
Double D I will get with ya with some help.
I guess I need my 12 yr olds help here
She (My Wife)says my 9 is to heavy & hard to hide
She has shot a Bersa 380 & liked the feel (balance in her hand)
She just got her carry permit last weekend & now looking 4 something
to carry with her.
Moneys kinda tight but I would rather she got a Weapon & not a Junk piece.
I see her with a Bersa or a PPK Double D if you have either please let me know
LOL I would like to pick up a 380PPK for myself A friend has one I have shot, & for a smaller gun I was grouping them in a 3-4" @ about 25 yds
OK LOL let the laughter begin when ya all tell me how to do this PM thing!
Thanks all for your Input & when she gets one or the other I will be sure to let you know what it is.
Thanks
Mac
PM is a private message, the same thing you just sent me asking about the heads up post..

#11 ·
I do have a bersa for 264.00. Good little gun for the money. Now, for the PM part. Put your mouse over my name and click and it will say send a private message to double d. Click on that and then type your message and send it to me. And dont feel dumb, you are among friends.

#12 ·
LOL COOOOL I think I sent it! :eek: Now if you send back where & how do I find it? I been "Lost" a few times allready when I started changing subjects & threads
Mac

#13 ·
When you get a PM you will get an email notification as well as a big black number under your screen name at the top right of the page.

#14 ·
OK I see the thing that says Private messages under my name click that & it will take me there?
Or do I need to check my E-mail?
LOL I realy wish I took the typing in 75 high school we all laughed @ the guys in there!
Turns out THEY were the SMART ones!

LOL I might not know much about Puters BUT if you wanna learn to make a Marlin bait THAT I CAN Teach ya!!!

#15 ·

HOLY CRAP LOL LOOK what MOMMA just walked in with SUPRISE Well she payed more than if she had waited! I guess she ordered it last time we were shooting but I had NO Idea!!!
My wife she GETS what she WANTS!
She had to take the picture then Photobucket thing I think she said well she put it on here 4 me & handed it back to me (Like I know what 2 do from here) she said just type in your message I'll look @ the thread later

#16 ·
Anyone who buys used guns, like myself, potentialy owns weapons that may have been used in a crime or used to shoot somebody but we'll likely never know. That's just the way it is and personaly it doesn't bother me. I've got a used socket wrench with notches in the handle, could that be a body count? Most of the time only the criminal knows it's been used in a crime, and even if there's a slug match in a crime data bank it's not going to be matched up unless you use it in another crime (and get cought). The serial number is not likely on any wanted list unless it's been stolen and reported as such.
Either way you've probably got a pretty good allibi.
Just thinking out loud here.:)

#17 ·
Anyone who buys used guns, like myself, potentialy owns weapons that may have been used in a crime or used to shoot somebody but we'll likely never know. That's just the way it is and personaly it doesn't bother me. I've got a used socket wrench with notches in the handle, could that be a body count? Most of the time only the criminal knows it's been used in a crime, and even if there's a slug match in a crime data bank it's not going to be matched up unless you use it in another crime (and get cought). The serial number is not likely on any wanted list unless it's been stolen and reported as such.
Either way you've probably got a pretty good allibi.
Just thinking out loud here.:)
OK let me also think out load
What if (God forbid I ever had 2 kill someone-ONLY reason I shoot is if my familys in danger)
BUT what if?
What if you bought a gun like you say used & down the road you HAVE 2 use it & the Vic dies
Dont they automaticly take your gun 4 balastic's?
And if they find that a slug from "Your gun" (bought used)
was used to kill someone say years earlyer
What happens?
I'm SURE there gonna be all over your ass
where did this gun come from? how long have you had it?
Do you have an Alibi 4 the night the guy was killed?
This it seems to me could be REALY BAD...
the more I think about this I'm NOT buying one UNLESS I know where it came from IE a dealer them it would cover your ass I beleave.

DOUBLE D When I do buy I'll be talking to you so I'm sure this kinda thing is way less of a chance of happening!
I NEVER even thought about how bad this could be till this thread.

#18 ·
There is a national database that lists stolen firearms. I always call my local PD & give the serial number of any used gun i'm interested in. Takes just a few seconds for them to run the number.
I did buy a stolen gun once before checking & had to give it back to the owner. Police didn't give me any hassle, they just wanted the gun turned in & I explained what happened over the phone to the police. never heard from them again. The owner was happy to get his minty S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece back. I've always checked before forking over money & had zero problems since that.

#19 ·
Excellent mac. Thats one of the 2 tone models. looks great and they are great little guns. I have a Bersa thunder .22 I wouldnt trade for anything.. Except maybe another 1911.. ;)

#20 ·
Hi capt If you are worried about a used gun being stolen then you can have your sheriff run it .My partner (he is a deputy) runs ALL used guns we buy. WE have bought alot of used guns and NEVER had one that was hot. Double D is a good person to talk to about prices if you want another opinion please feel free to PM me ( but Double D will NOT steer you wrong)My wife carries a Ruger LCP with the crimson trace lasor.She loves how it feels and shoots.I was impressed enough to get another for a under counter peice.You will need to go through a dealer to get it transferd to you.We use federal LOW RECOIL personal defense 90 grain Hydra-shok HP and seems to be a good stoping ammo.

Popgunner... You said you never herd back from the cops about a dirty gun. They never asked who and when you bought it?Up here you would HAVE to anser some questions and a report WOULD be made out and investagated.

#21 ·
Mac .... About typing , in high school .
I can't type worth a darn and I took typing for two years in H.S.
There were 29 gals ( and myself ) in the class *GRIN* didn't say I didn't learn anything
but, typing was not high on the list .

#23 ·
I'm looking to trade my wife for a .380.:D:D:D:dontknow:
YEAKS LOL:eek:hmygosh:

:dontknow::dontknow:I wouldent trade a Crate of 380's for mine!!!!!:dontknow::dontknow:

No one else could (or 4 that matter Would) Put up with ME! :devilish: & a :fart:er

Truly I'm blessed my wife is a Saint.:bow::halo:

#24 · (Edited)
Hi capt If you are worried about a used gun being stolen then you can have your sheriff run it .My partner (he is a deputy) runs ALL used guns we buy. WE have bought alot of used guns and NEVER had one that was hot.
I't sounds more like Cap has the "WHAT IF" phobia, than a gun thing.
"What if my boat sinks?" Use the inflatable!
"What if it doesn't inflate?" You have a life vest!
"What if there's sharks in the water?" I give up, what if?
Thankfully I'm not afflicted. I can't be bothered.

My post was neither sugestive or persuasive, only conversational. Oh well.
Personaly if I was looking to buy a carry gun for the wife I'd take her to the biggest gun store around and let her see and feel her options in hope of making the right choice, then shop price. BassPro has a pretty good selection here and they even have an indoor range.
That Bersa looks like a sweet gun!

#25 ·
My post was neither sugestive or persuasive, only conversational. Oh well.
Personaly if I was looking to buy a carry gun for the wife I'd take her to the biggest gun store around and let her see and feel her options in hope of making the right choice, then shop price. BassPro has a pretty good selection here and they even have an indoor range.
That Bersa looks like a sweet gun!
SORRY Your right though I worry 2 much (Stress)
LOL yea thanks on the wifes new Bersa I had NO Idea she even bought it.
She just walked in with it yesterday afternoon I was like they dident do a 5 day hold?
She payed 4 it last weekend. If my wife wants something She buys it & then it just kinda shows up...:dontknow:
I DO THAT I'm an azzhole WHY dident you ASK ME?:dontknow:
I woulda liked to have some input on that Mac.:banghead:
Hey GOOD one as far as saying PBS had a range. I just called my local store about the "Range" I NEVER knew they had one.:bow:
I'm grabbing my Marlin 60 & going plinking this afternoon!
I just called $10.00 an hour
thanks Mac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.