1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

I'm New Here/Nickel-Plating a Magazine

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by GConn, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GConn

GConn Member

Hello,

I may have just found a new home...

And this may now be my favorite Forum and sub-forum - thanks much for having it, and for being here folks...

I have recently become disabled (well, been a couple years, but am now receiving my benefits), and I worry quite a bit (actually, more "concern" than real "worry") about being able to "respond" in the mid-of-night, say, if a bad guy (or three) show-up.

In any event, I was just about to ask this question elsewhere, but now that I am here, perhaps I can ask here?

Has anyone had a magazine nickel-plated (by Jack Fuselier - or by anyone/anywhere else), please?

What (if any) benes or advantage(s) are there to this, please?

Any disadvantages??

Thanks in advance,
    Glenn...
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome !

friends here who run boats used to have mini 14's (ruger) and they had their mags nickel and chrome plated to deal with the corrosion , and had no issues that i was aware and one even states even now he misses his rifle and he had a few done

as for pistols , i am unsure but nickel coatings aint that thick really , a sand blast to thin down the original would solve 80% of that problem in my mind , but others will be along soon to say ok or call me a thick head on that one ..

good luck and cheers
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Jack does excellent work.
    The plating will help with corrosion, looks good, and adds lubricity to the magazine.
  4. GConn

GConn Member

Beautiful - thank you both much! (and jack404, I doubt seriously that you are a "thick head"! hah!
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Bill is correct. Nickel plating is used many times for beyond just a nice looking finish. It has its own performance enhancing capabilities such as a slicker finish for easier operation (like the mini 14 mags) Its does add a level of thickness. Such as if you have a pin that is loose in a receiver or loose to the component that it relies on, nickle plating it will add a very minimal thickness to it but just enough to add some tension.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

was referring to sad blasting , its a contentious issue to some, mag's area often very light gauge metal and some folks say it makes em too weak ,