I'm New Here/Nickel-Plating a Magazine

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by GConn, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GConn

GConn Member

Hello,

I may have just found a new home...

And this may now be my favorite Forum and sub-forum - thanks much for having it, and for being here folks...

I have recently become disabled (well, been a couple years, but am now receiving my benefits), and I worry quite a bit (actually, more "concern" than real "worry") about being able to "respond" in the mid-of-night, say, if a bad guy (or three) show-up.

In any event, I was just about to ask this question elsewhere, but now that I am here, perhaps I can ask here?

Has anyone had a magazine nickel-plated (by Jack Fuselier - or by anyone/anywhere else), please?

What (if any) benes or advantage(s) are there to this, please?

Any disadvantages??

Thanks in advance,
    Glenn...
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome !

friends here who run boats used to have mini 14's (ruger) and they had their mags nickel and chrome plated to deal with the corrosion , and had no issues that i was aware and one even states even now he misses his rifle and he had a few done

as for pistols , i am unsure but nickel coatings aint that thick really , a sand blast to thin down the original would solve 80% of that problem in my mind , but others will be along soon to say ok or call me a thick head on that one ..

good luck and cheers
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Jack does excellent work.
    The plating will help with corrosion, looks good, and adds lubricity to the magazine.
  4. GConn

GConn Member

Beautiful - thank you both much! (and jack404, I doubt seriously that you are a "thick head"! hah!
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Bill is correct. Nickel plating is used many times for beyond just a nice looking finish. It has its own performance enhancing capabilities such as a slicker finish for easier operation (like the mini 14 mags) Its does add a level of thickness. Such as if you have a pin that is loose in a receiver or loose to the component that it relies on, nickle plating it will add a very minimal thickness to it but just enough to add some tension.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

was referring to sad blasting , its a contentious issue to some, mag's area often very light gauge metal and some folks say it makes em too weak ,