I'm new to all this, have a self-defense ammo question

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by WildcatFan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

I need to stock some high-end self-defense rounds. I'm on cheaperthandirt.com. What rounds should I be considering?
    Thanks.
  2. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    You can't do wrong with Federal Hydrashock or Hornady XTP. A bit more recoil with the latter. You can buy more expensive stuff, but the increment of value added is minimal.
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Yeah love the hydrashock for self defense got a box thats about 10 years old cause I have never felt the need for it. Well except for a couple of evil pumpkins that is.
  4. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Thanks, guys. What about these Winchester Black Talons - can I get 'em? Are they expensive and, if so, how much?
  5. Lost One

Lost One New Member

You can get them but you will pay a premium for it, I dont see why buying the name would help other than to empty the wallet some. When Winchester did away with the black talon the SXT came into play, I have both still and keep them for my carry gun. There is now the Winchester Ranger SXT series that I believe has taken over for the Black Talon/SXT they keep renaming it basically and slightly changing the looks but its still their premium defense ammo.

If you want to get some good defense ammo you may also want to consider Remington Golden saber, it and winchester are about the same when put against each other in tests and the Remington is easy to find. I have it loaded in some of my mags as well.

What ever you get make sure to get enough to test it in the gun, some guns are funny about what they will take and when the SHTF isnt the time to find out your gun doesn't like it.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

Black Talons are no longer being made under that name. Try Winchester Ranger. You can still find Black Talons but at a high price. They are also over rated.
  7. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Also I forgot to mention it, its been a long time since I read the article on it but when put to the test the Federal Hydra shock was doing just as good as the Winchester Black Talon and Remington Golden Sabers. Dont be sucked in by the name of a bullet and pay for something that will not do any better than something else. I have all of them but when I bought them they where all going for the same price and I was out to see which one would digest through my pistols the best, turned out they all went through just fine for my .45's and 9mm's.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

speer gold dots is good ammo. you should look other places than cheaper than dirt, they gouge their ammo prices i think. if you're looking for premium ammo you shouldnt have a problem finding it as it's expensive and noone is buy any amounts of it
  9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Is your question brand related or grain related? Or both? You don't want a round that will fly in and out of your target. The idea is for it to stay in, both to protect innocent bystanders and release all the energy within the target. What caliber are we talking here?

....and with that I will let it go....as I am a relative newb as well.
  10. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

PharmrJohn,
    First, thanks. I'm talking brand loyalty. .45 ACP
  11. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

you don't mention caliber.
    get the brand/model your local police or state police carry.
    ....good enuf for them= good enuf for you.
    useful if you ever actually use it and find a prosecutors face in yours
  12. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  13. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    disagree - law enforcement agencies buy under government contracts - low bidder gets the business; Also, your use of better ammo is not going to be the big issue if you're charged with a crime in connection with having shot someone - if it was a good shoot, the ammo's no problem. But the 800 pound gorilla will be the fact that you shot someone. So make sure you don't touch the gun unless you're in a position to tell a jury, "You're dam'right I shot him, it was the right thing to do, and I'd do it again under the same circumstances!"
  14. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

re: Black Talon, I saw a box at the last gun show, I didn't even notice the caliber because the price was $68. Looked like they'd been laying around a while.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    WildcatFan, take a look at Hornady's Critical Defense ammo. Hollow points tend to clog up when passing thru some materials, like heavy clothing. When this happens the round acts as ball ammo, and will not open up. It then acts like ball ammo, and will over penetrate. Hornady's CD ammo is designed to prevent this from happening. They claim that their CD ammo will open up every time, no matter what you shoot through.
  16. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

check this out. a little dated but good useful information http://www.mouseguns.com/ammoart.htm. and the advice on hornady is excellent. after years of looking for the best load i've settled on hornady for my 9mm and 45 acp. for my larger calibers ie 45 colt or 44 spl. it's winchester silver tips
  17. 44alltheway

44alltheway New Member

18. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Oly Toledo! 44 dont know if those are even legal LOL!
  19. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

my not to small city police dept uses Speer Gold Dot.
    not what i would consider second rate. and since when does purchasing at the best price affect quality if it is the same product?

again, if it is the same product at a better price, how does that make the product 'better' ?
    and cause the 'product' has already been accepted in court for use by your local police, your defense doe not have to argue that point.