I'm really embarrassed about this!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I recently had an H&R model 622 revolver that needed a cylinder. I had 2 of the "all-in-one ejector" type on hand, and they worked just fine, but wouldn't allow loading in the "side-loading-hole". I figured they were the wrong ones, and I ordered and received a 622 cylinder w/o the "all-in-one ejector" feature. It also worked just fine, but I had the same problem loading through the "side-loading-hole".
    I figured that it must be a manufacturing error with the revolver, so I painstakingly enlarged the "side-hole" to accept the cartridges. I was proud of the job I did, until I saw an old schematic of a 622 that calls the "side-loading-hole" a "witness port, and not for loading". *%#^!&#@.
    I thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else encounters this situation.
    Old Gun Guy:eek::eek::eek:
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Pssst... advertise that as a 'side-loading conversion' for the H&R series. Make a mint...
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

epicly funny right there. I can see the ad now SIDE LOADING H&R (very rare):D
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I seem to recall there was something about a change in the chamber location or the cylinder diameter that rendered the loading port useless, but it would have cost too much to move it so they decided to call it an inspection port. Another big advance in H&R design!

Besides, those guns had no way of ejecting empties without pulling the center pin and if you pulled the center pin you might as well remove the cylinder and eject the empties using it. Which meant you might as well load the cylinder off the gun and not need a loading port. Does that make sense?

Jim
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

So you guys already knew and didn't tell me! I spilled my guts for nothing!!
    Oh the horror!:banghead::banghead:
    Old Gun Guy
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

H&R had so many dang design revisions, I never bothered even keeping up. Its all in fun OGG. No worries. I had a 9mm that had a headspace issue. Yep fixed er up real good. To bad the dang thing was a 380. Hence the chambering issue. Live and learn and I got a nice reminder on my desk to READ THE CALIBER ON THE GUN. Not what the customer said.
  7. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Helix_FR,
    Thank you! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who makes these mistakes.
    Old Gun Guy
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Geez, I thought it was something serious like you had a ND and put a hole through the coffee table or something. I can't begin to tell you the number of things I've ruined by unnecessarily trying to fix them.:eek::eek::(:D
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old Gun Guy -
    I TOLD you that about a zillion years ago, cheeshhhhhhhhhhh! LOL
  10. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

You're right Jim, but my memory only goes back a billion years! :):)
    Old Gun Guy
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

we all make mistakes that's what makes us human
  12. rimphire

rimphire New Member

This thread is rediculously funny, you'll understand i have some apprehension
    About seeking advise here now but i really do need some smithy help.
    I have a Norinco SKS its gas tube and all its components a spic n span clean,
    No obstructions no appearant reason why it wont shoot in semi auto mode.
    I read somewhere that some grease on the bolt and spring is required?
    Really?
  13. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Hey guys,
    Just something I ran across yesterday.
    I had to get out my 1950 Model 922 yesterday.
    Thought about this thread, so checked the witness/inspection hole on the revolver.
    My uncle bought it new, and I am sure he never had any work done to it.
    The hole on it is large enough to insert cartridges.
    Removing fired brass is difficult, you would need a small screwdriver or something , but, it can be done.
    Loading is pretty easy, but still probably faster to just remove the cylinder as intended.
    Jim
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012