The Firearms Forum banner

I'm really starting to like this rifle

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  zkovach 
#1 ·
i recently got a Savage Axis 223. It came with a Bushnell 3-9x40 which looks exactly like the cheap $30 Tasco Walmart scopes I have, so I pulled it off. In its place i put an old Tasco World Class 3-9x40 wide view that was collecting dust on my bench.

I was at work when the rifle came in by way of the chocolate Santa. Before the day was done I stripped it down and lightened th trigger by snipping 1 1/2 coils from the spring. It breaks consistently at just a touch over 3 lbs.

Two weeks ago I broke it in and did a sloppy scope set. Yesterday I went back and used mor of my crappy loads from a few years ago. The 55 fmj's are on top of some amount of IMR3031, don't remember how much. I'll have to chrono them some time. They were made up for general AR plinking with absolutely no concern for accuracy. I just dumped the powder in batches of 200 and glanced them over to make sure they all had a decent amount in the cases. Then I seated the bullets half-donkey' and called it good.

Yesterday I finished setting scope as best I could then just went to town. At that point I had about 75 rounds through it total. Then I discovered it likes a warm barrel with these loads. Ok, let's have some fun with that shoot-n-c target someone left for me at 100 yards. It had all 5 target points untouched. Hehe, this baby's all mine now!

I put 5 in the mag and another in the chamber, total of 6 for each aiming spot. I wanted to see how this rifle-scope-ammo-idiot could do. Keeping my cheek on the stock I worked the bolt and trigger with right hand. Kind of simulating a coyote on the run. Shoot as fast as I can. I'll be damned, nice 1 1/2" or less groups on all 5. Th best was a 3 shot group touching.

Holy crap! For a cheap POS rifle and ammo with a total moron behind the trigger it did pretty darn good! Just imagine how it can do with taylored loads. But first I have to finish sorting brass by head stamp. Only 3000 left to go

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm leaning on getting a bolt gun this spring. Provided the funds are there, I have a furnace and heat pump to buy before winter of 2017.:(

Reactions: dbcooper and joe45c
#5 ·
You have a one in a hundred. The Savage Axis 223 is normally a POS. And you are right. This is a keeper. The axis is the number one rifle that Savage has when it comes to returns, for all kinds of reasons.
Ask me how I know? Maybe its because I worked for Savage for a couple of years.
You have a good one. Don't sell it or trade it off.

#7 ·
My son has a Savage Axis in 308. He has sent it back 2 times. The bolt locks up so hard you need a hammer and wood block to get it open. They fixed it and now it is back again for the same problem.

#6 ·
I had my Ruger American 308 at the range today. I finally got the Nikon ProStaff dialed in. The range is only 100 yards but it did good at that.

My son had his Remington 700 I got him for Christmas out. He had his new Vortex Diamondback scope to sight in. He couldn't get it sighted and hates the scope. He is going to take it back to Cabelas and get a Nikon. Funny as the scope has good reviews. He is good at setting up scopes and usually does mine.

Reactions: joe45c
#8 ·
Nope, everything on it works as it should. Palmetto State Armory had it on Black Friday sale with scope for $200 after rebate. It's the non-accutrigger model.

My only complaint is the way the magazine latches into the stock. I may have to do a little engineering and see if I can come up with a solution

#10 ·
If I recall correctly ( talking to the Savage reps. ) the axis was designed as a no frills rifle that everyone could afford.
The original thought behind it was an affordable rifle for people to use once a year and then be cleaned and put away until the next year. This rifle was more of an after thought by Savage than anything else. Boy were they wrong. The axis is their number one selling rifle. They probably sell two or three axis rifles to every other Savage rifle made.
When I was doing warranty work for Savage , they asked the staff of what we thought that could improve the rifle. My suggestion was a longer bolt handle and a steel clip release. Needless to say they never took any of our suggestions to heart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.