I'm Reloading! (Question, too)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Scooter
    (4/22/02 9:10:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All I'm Reloading! (Question, too)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Gents;

Well, after limited response to my appeal to revive some of your old equipment, I decided to go shopping for something locally on my own. Based on the advice I had gotten earlier from all the experts on this site, and based on my budget, level of expertise, looking at all available brands and other factors, I settled on a Lee turret press kit set up.

I brought it home, set it up according to the directions and started chunking out completed ammo in about two hours. Well, I admit I read slowly (my lips move) and I did read them twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, but everything was set out pretty clearly. I was very impressed with the functioning of the press, the quality of the equipment and the ease of use for this type of press. I'm happy with my choice, and hopefully will not have to bug you guys with too many questions, but I do have one:

Occasionally, I will seat a primer deeper than flush with the bottom of the case. Will this affect the operation of the ammo? Is it possible to set it too deep?

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/22/02 11:25:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I'm Reloading! (Question, too)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congrats on your purchase, Scooter. The Lee press should give you good service.

As to primer seating, it takes a bit of getting use to on how much pressure to apply to the primer. You should look for being able to run your thumb or forefinger across the bottom of the brass cartridge case and not feel a portruding bump from the primer...then it is seated enough.

Don't tell anyone, but when using my Dillon press I first seat all my primers with a Lee hand priming tool (the squeeze grip type with primer tray attached) this little rascal is really fast in primer seating without worry about how hard to seat the primers. Get yourself one, you'll love it. They come with the large and small primer assembly.

Let us know how your reloads shoot.

Gunguy

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/22/02 11:35:46 am)
    Gunguy, I do the same thing in seating primers I also use the Lee Hand primer tool as well. Once I started useing it I never looked back.
    cointoss2

Scooter
    (4/22/02 4:15:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del I'm Reloading! (Question, too)
    Thanks for the advice, Gunguy. Since this is my first stab at reloading and setting the primers, I am probably not consistant with my pressures. I noticed that there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why some (and a very few at that) primers seat deeper than others. Must be I haven't calibrated my right arm, yet.

Second thing I noticed was that some of my brass seems to have a very tiny burr where the ejector pulled on it. I'm hoping that this won't be a problem either.

Now, tell me about cleaning your brass. I just ordered about $100 of additional stuff from Midway, and was looking at a tumbler package they are advertising. In the meantime, I guess I'll have the dirtiest brass at the range!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/22/02 5:56:13 pm)
    Cointoss, glad we are brothers of the Lee tool, don't tell Polish I partial to Lee products, he'll never let me live it down after my ranting about Dillon so much.

Scooter, not sure what you mean about the ejector leaving a burr on your brass? Is the ejector a device on the Lee press that removes the cartridge brass automatically from the press?

Ah, cleaning brass, the bane of the reloader class. There are many ways to clean brass and some of them include buy expensive tumblers with oatmeal media. I'm using an old copy machine motor that I found thrown away in the hills. Rigged up a metal wrap to hold it in bought me a small 1/4 " drill chuck to mount on the stem of the motor. Then had some mandrels made up (sort of cone shape) that would let me slide on whatever caliber brass I wanted to spin polish with 3M crocus clothe (the red color stuff) about a 1/4 inch thick material that can be cut with scissors.

While spinning the brass a swipe with the crocus and the cartridge case is bright shiny clean.

I usually perform this operation before primers are seated.

The electric motor should turn pretty fast and have enough power to not bog down while cleaning the brass.

This is just something I use and may not be your bag just starting out in reloading.

Gunguy

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/22/02 7:03:21 pm)
    Scooter...You read slow? LOL...I read three manuals complete before I ever cracked open a box of reloading stuff, It worked out pretty cool really, we were driving up to N.M. and back, 9 1/2 hr drive, so I plenty of time to read and let stuff sink in.

Brass tumbler...I wanted one untill I couldn't stand it, so I ordered one from CheaperThanDirt.com I just love it, less than a week later I found a good used one, probabally more durable than the new one for 20 bucks, LOL, Nothing wrong with two!

~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/22/02 8:04:41 pm)
    When I first started reloading I used a plastic gallon wide mouth jug with a screw on lid, the spit had turn screws on it to hold the lid on and an old rotisserie off a bbq grill. Took forever... .did I say it was slowwww... but it did do a nice job. The one I use now I bought from a pawn shop so to keep your investment down check out other avenues.
    cointoss2

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/22/02 8:53:14 pm)
    Don, Absolutely, you can never have too many tumblers.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/22/02 10:40:21 pm)
    OK - the ejector burrs on the case rim.

Sometimes these cause the case not to want to seat in the shell holder. The burrs can be knocked off by a bench mounted polishing wheel, or simply by taking some very fine grit emery cloth (available as "plumbers polishing paper" at the hardware stores) and rotating the case head between the fingers while holding a strip of the cloth in the other hand.

If using different brands of cases, some manufacturers brass will have deeper primer pockets than others. Try to keep the brass segregated by brands, clean the pockets with a pocket reamer or brush and be gentle on seating. The Lee hand seater (I've got one also!) primarily uses thumb pressure to seat the primers, so you can't get too carried away with seating depths.

Be aware, the primer DOES require a certain amount of pressure to upset the anvil in the primer cup properly. I keep a straight edge piece of steel handy (an old steel pocket rule) to check and assure flush seating. Cointoss & I have the Foster Bonanza single stage presses that have the primer seater on top of the press. I still use it for all primer applications as it will seat flush only with any case type.

Scooter
    (4/23/02 7:54:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del I'm Reloading! (Question, too)
    I think you guys have hit the primer on the anvil!

Gunguy, the burr I'm finding is the tiniest little thing that may even come from the fact I collect all my brass in the old 30cal ammo cases and sling them around. I meant the ejector on the gun itself may be causing the burr. New gun, sharp edges and all that. I will definitely look into the hand primer as an alternative to doing it on the press. Makes perfect sense to me.

And, yeah, Donny, I read rreeeaaalll slow. I ain't real bright, you know. Good thing the manual had pictures, too! I know my numbers real good, though!

And the rest of you....I enjoyed the "alternative methods" of cleaning brass you guys mentioned, especially the rotisserie! Since I'm not as inventive as you guys, I think I might just go ahead and procure a regular tumble and use it.....as long as the manual has pictures!

Thanks guys..........

Scooter

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/23/02 8:43:42 am)
    If you are getting your burrs from the gun's ejection port, take it to a qualified gunsmith and have him open up the port area for you, or he may just polish and trim your ejection hook thingy that pulls on the cartridge rim.

What type of firearm are you shooting?

GG

Scooter
    (4/23/02 1:01:45 pm)
    Thanks Gunguy.....

This particular one is a Charles Day .45. Even though others may not have had good luck with this particular weapon, and it doesn't seem to rank very high in some comparison tests, I love the hell out of mine. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it, it seems to be as accurate as I am (what barn door?)

If you're not familiar with the gun, it does have some go-fast pieces on it from the factory. The also enlarge the ejection port from the factory. The slight burr I'm experiencing on some the cases is at the very bottom and is VERY light. You can feel it if you run your fingernail across it. It isn't on every one, either. My thought was that it might have something to do with the "finger" that grabs the empty shell to throw it out the port.

Like I said earlier, it may just be that I throw all my brass in an old ammo can, and cart it around that's causing the burr.

Dunno.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/23/02 4:21:36 pm)
    aGunguy, why on Earth are you not using the awesome primer system on your Dillon press?

The only glitch I've ever encountered on my 550B was the very soft cotter pin used as a pivot on the tin trap (that captures the de-primed / discarded primer) distorting after several hundred rounds and allowing the trap to stick in the open position.

What's prompted you to (laboriously) hand-prime??

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/23/02 5:46:36 pm)
    As far as checking for primer depth goes...My RCBS rockchucker dosent seem to ever load them too deep, only not deep enough. I set all the brass w/new primers, primer end down on my bench, maybe 50 to 100 at a time, and lightly "hit" my bench with the side of my fist...the brass with protruding primers will rock back and forth. I have the habit of sliding my thumb across the head after priming too, but I still miss a few.

~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/23/02 9:38:17 pm)
    rayra, I have no excuse for being unfaithful to my Dillon, except I like to do priming by hand to assure everything is going OK. In the Dillon it is hard for an old fart like me to see that the priming action is doing what its suppose to do.

This is on my large primer setup and for some reason the primer slide bar is giving me some trouble in reliability.

GG

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/23/02 9:41:02 pm)
    Scooter -

The ejector burr on the case rim is pretty common - I've got a 45-70 Marlin lever action that always raises a slight burr on the case rim when extracting. No big deal, just polish it off with a cloth polishing wheel or use the emery paper. You want positive extraction and it sounds to me the gun is doing what it is supposed to do.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/23/02 10:26:52 pm)
    ah.
    on the primer charging bar - having trouble properly cycling to pick up a new primer? or the bar sticking?

I once tried to apply a dab of machine oil to this element, but it made the sticking problem even worse.
    I wound up tearing down this subassembly and giving it a good degreasing / cleaning.
    Spoke to Dillon on the issue, and they pointed me towards fiddling with the two Allen-head cap screws that hold down the whole primer feed tube assembly - with a little left-right alignment of the whole assembly / the primer transfer bar, and less-than-most-tight torque on the allen-screws, things were back on track.

I still have the occasional primer-bobble if I jerk the press handle up too sharply - usually only a problem with drawing the 30-06 brass out of the sizing die.

You might try calling Dillon with a description of your glitch, maybe they can save you some reloading time...