I'm saving my pennies . . .

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 11, 2007.

1. I'm saving up my pennies to buy myself an extra special handgun for use as a CCW. I'm talking here about making no compromises on cost, to buy just exactly what I want and let the chips fall where they may. The problem is, I can't decide between the two handguns I've narrowed down the choice to. I'd appreciate your input, both as to the pistol and the caliber. The choices are:

The H&K P2000 SK: http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/p2000sk_general.html

or . . .

The Sig Sauer P239: http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=9&productid=71

Yes, I do want a compact since I find those more comfortable to carry. What I have not decided is whether to go for the 9mm or the .40 S&W caliber.

I want the highest possible quality for this pistol. Which would be your choice?
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Have you shot both calibers? A .40, while having slightly better numbers, does have an extra kick, that some people find excessive. This causes them to NOT be able to get the second shot off, with either the speed or accuracy, that they can with a 9mm.

I have heard “some” say that if you are going to carry it, when measuring the size of the bullet, it “should” have a “4” in it. LOL

In my opinion (for what that is worth) you have picked 2 of the finest firearms (for the size) out there. They are similar in many ways. Weight wise, the 1.4 vs. the 1.7 is almost made up in the difference in the number of round you can carry. 6.2 vs 6.4 in overall length, wouldn’t matter much. The difference of 3.6 vs. the 3.2 in barrel length “could” matter, but with the sight radius being 5.2 on both, it shouldn’t. They both have polymer grips for rust/discoloration prevention.

For the H&K. It carries 2 more round than the SIG. (in .40) The mag release is “in” the trigger guard. Once you get used to that (took me NO time at all) it is surprising how fast reloads can be done. Interchangeable backstrap inserts, to make sure it fits your hand well. It has a rail in case you want to “play” with toys down the road. The H&K can be carried cocked and locked, with means the first shot is single action @ 4.5 lbs. The SIG is usually carried hammer down, which means you have a double action trigger on the first shot @ 10 lbs.

For the SIG. The fact that it does not have an external safety means, as soon as you pull it out, it’s ready to rock and roll. No thumbing off a safety, which under stress conditions, “could” make a difference. (one of the main reasons I carry a SIG, although I have been thinking of changing over to a regular USP ;)) If you are used to shooting a 1911, and have the muscle memory of flipping the safety off, this would not mean much to you.

If there is any way you can actually “shoot” both of these firearms, not just handle them. I’d go for it. Don’t know if there are any rental places near you, or if they would have these two models in stock. In the end, it’s what “fits” YOU the best, since your going to trust your life to this firearm.
  3. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

Pistol, I've looked at both of your options, leaning toward the .40.
    But I've never been able to have the reason for a "decocker" explained to me in a satisfactory manner. Seems superfluous to me, but maybe I don't get it
  4. azsigman

azsigman New Member

As my thread name implies, I love Sigs. Both my wife and I have P239s. Hers is 9mm, mine is a .40 SW. We have owned the 9mm since they first were released in or around 1997. I have never had any failure of any sort with it. The .40 SW, I traded a Kimber for a few months back. While I have not shot it a whole lot, it is all the 9mm is as for reliability.
    I was raised in LE with revolvers and, frankly, for me, the Sig is easier to use. I could not get used to the safety needing to be operated...even after several months of practice.
    I really wanted a 9mm like hers but when the .40 was offered without any other trade offers, I grabbed it FTF in AZ.
    I cannot speak to your other choice at all but, if you choose Sig, you will never be sorry IMHO. Best of luck. What an awful choice to make. Sig or HK...jeez, we all should suffer so..
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I'm saving up my money for a Sig P239. I actually just settled on that one this weekend. So naturally I think it's the better choice.
  6. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I would have to agree w/ others as both are good pistols. I would try to shoot them, before buying. One will probably fit your hand better & shoot better for you. Tough choice...we should all have it so hard;)
  7. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

Go Sig!
  8. azsigman

azsigman New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pistol, I've looked at both of your options, leaning toward the .40.
    But I've never been able to have the reason for a "decocker" explained to me in a satisfactory manner. Seems superfluous to me, but maybe I don't get it

Lowers the hammer safely without having to pull the trigger and ease it down with your thumb. No risk of a slip and discharge.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  9. No problems there, Pick. I've shot the .40 extensively and own two pistols in that caliber. I find no significant difference between it and the 9mm.

That's one of the features that is leaning me somewhat toward the H&K, Pick. I like the fact that it may be safely carried in single-action mode. On the other hand, the heavier first-shot trigger pull on a DA auto has never proven to be a significant problem for me, as, for example, on my Sig P-230.

Exactly, Pick. I have no doubts about the quality of either pistol, but if I am going to spend that much money for a handgun, I definitely want it to be the "right" handgun!
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Since I can get away with carrying a full size gun. If I can find a USP (for the right price ;)) I'm going to retire my 220. At least for a while. The higher capacity (9 rounds vs 13) and the mag release being in the trigger guard are two reasons.

I have developed this ugly habit with the 220 (and 1911s) of keeping my finger "in" the trigger guard, when changing mags. I use my left hand to release the old mag. 2 different RO/SO have caught me doing this. With the H&K I "can't" leave it in there, and don't have to reposition my hand when changing mags, which is why I use the opposite hand for releasing old mags. I don't want to reposition my hand "twice" for a mag release. Hope that makes sense.
  11. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I don't have any personal experience with the Sig but all I've read says they're excellent. Believe Sig is the issue weapon of the Massachusetts State Police.

My son recently picked up a used HK USP in 40 SW. While older than what you're contemplating, it is a superb piece of equipment. Still tight as can be, accurate, and comfortable in the hand. This gun is 9 years old and still acts as though it thinks it's new! :).
  12. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

I shot a 239 in .357 sig a few years ago and while fairly accuarte was a bit stout in the recoil dept. Just a yr ago I decided I wanted a sub-compact auto. I considered the239 but went with the P200sk (9mm). It fits me much better. I also am a bit of a Hk nut so that too was a influence. I shot my father-in-law's CZ Rami in .40 and liked that. Not bad recoil for the .40 and darn accuarte. It fit me beter than the Sig but not as well as the HK did. Even at nearly 1/2 the price, i went with the HK over the CZ. I'd have chosen the CZ over the Sig actually.
    I've yet to shoot the Hk past standard combat/defensive range (21') but at that range it's very accuarte even with Remington bulk stuff. Like all my other Hk's it's yet to have any malfunctions of issues.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I wouldn't chose the CZ Rami over the Sig, but that's mostly because the double stack mag makes it harder to conceal. I actually looked at both of those two options before, like I said above, deciding to save for the Sig P239.