I'm so ready for opening day

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by joncutt87, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Chinook

Chinook New Member

You're set man! You'll be on 'em in no time. When I lived in Mule Deer country for a blink of an eye, It once took me 5 days, straight.. Of gettin this buck up off of his bed so I could make a shot before dark. I rattled every other day, and would see the buck come out way after dark...and on the 5th day, about 30 minutes after my last call/rattle session... He steps out, spots me in the stand I swear, and keeps lookin for where that nasty little buck was fightin with another nasty lil buck! Boom. It was the greatest Deer harvest in my book so far. I actually think I got him "called in." And it took a lot of time, and patience. You'll get 'em!
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    IMHO, you guys are wasting your money! I've been at this hunting game for over 50 years, and I have never bought the things you guys are. The gun, bullets, something to eat for lunch, and something to drink. That's it. I'm either on the ground sitting against a tree, and have had deer walk right up to me. Or I'm in a tree stand, where I have had deer walk right under me. Or I'm in a blind of some kind, usually home made, and have had deer walk right up to me. I don't buy cover sents, I use crushed pine needles. I've never rattled in my life, untill recently, but I'm just getting old! The largest Non Typical deer ever killed in LA was killed by an old man, sitting in a tree, picking his false teeth with his pocket knife, just after lunch. When this deer walked right up to where he was. He shot it with an old double barreled shotgun, that was older than he was! The most important thing about deer hunting is to be where the deer are. Know where they are bedding down, and where they find food. Be somewhere in between!
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

This is the first year that i've used any of this; I hunt pretty light, my cousins not so much. So I need to up my game a bit.
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I prefer to hunt once it's nice and cold. Get my nice warm camo winter clothes on, get up in my tree stand wit something warm to eat and drink, have my snack, then take a nap. Usually within an hour or two one will come along and wake me up and I shoot him. My son says he thinks my snoring calls them in.:dontknow:
  5. whirley

whirley New Member

Regarding scent cover up. An old hunter many years ago said that meat eaters have a very strong body scent. He said he always quit eating meat about a week before opening day. I've followed his advice, and I believe it helps. Twice over the years, I've accidently walked right up to deer in their beds, and they looked at me for about two minutes before getting up and walking away. Sounds weird, but whatever helps. Both times were in bear season.
  6. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I stop partaking meat, garlic, onions, alcohol, and vinegar three days before a hunt
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Glad I aint the only one Carver.. I use cedar tree clippings as camo on my blind. Excellent natural scent blockers.. chek it out.. Nice little deerslayer pillbox!

Attached Files:

8. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm perched up, surrounded by fresh fecsue mix hay
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

good luck to you joncutt

i take a swim in some not so fresh water , covers scent nicely ..
  10. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'll give it another shot on friday
  11. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Season opened here today for muzzleloader. Rifle opens saturday. I have something (warm or hot) to drink, a few snacks and my trusty .30-06. I'm all set after that.
  12. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Archery Blacktail just re-opened here. This is about the only time of year, where I hunt, where you can get close enough, stalking them, to harvest one with an arrow. Heavy pressure public lands! Gotta love it... Sorta. HA!

Good luck Jonathan! Keep yerself in the brush a couple days a week, and you'll get 'em figured out. Like Carver said. Get between where they bed, and where they feed. Its just a matter of time.