Im taking 4 boys shooting tommorrow!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

My son has 3 boys staying over tonight and tommorrow im taking them shooting tommorow.Im gonna start them out shooting a marlin 795 .22cal then Ill let them shoot the 12guage shot gun and if they behave themselves ill let them try there hand at my pistol.I think they will have fun.:)
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good for you

be strict , be safe , have fun ;)
  3. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

good luck. I can still remember my first time shooting.
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Safety number 1 always
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

First time shooting for the 3 boys?
  6. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

They should have alot of fun. Teach them the safety aspect of firearms first and foremost.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ryan how did the kid's do? Range report...
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Lets go Ryan. We're waiting:D
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

And given the fact of well the ease you can be accused of abuse-be safe and take a second adult that is not your wife(not considerd a credible witness AND I am not saying any thing WOULD happen but the law presumes guilt when accused. Be very safe.
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

The boys did very well.I went through about 20 minutes of training with them first.I had stressed not to put your finger in the trigger guard until your ready to shoot,so the first boy gets up there and as he is bringing the .22 rifle up to aquire the target he shoots the ground while bringing the gun up to bear on the target.He got real embarrassed.But I said lets try it again.The second time he did fine.The one thing I noticed they wanted to do was when they were done firing they wanted to turn around with the the gun.A big No,No_Once I got the mistakes fixed they had them a contest on who could shoot a can from 200 yrds away.It took them awhile but by the time we were done each boy hit the can.It was alot of fun.It takes alot of patients with that many boys.
  11. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

how old are these boys? this last summer my brother (from Ill.) brought his 12yo and 7yo boys here for some range time. it sure is fun teaching them and watching their eyes grow when they pull the trigger. I was like you, I highly emphasized safety first.
  12. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I think you made a big mistake! :D

I started my three sons (all three years apart) shooting as soon as they could hold a squirt gun, and then a cork gun. From there BB guns, then .22s, then shotguns and on and on, it never stopped. From the cork gun up the safety rules were in place. Of course there were always friends, and the safety lesson had to be given again, and I often wished I had 6 arms and a dozen eyes.

It wasn't long before I had to start stocking up three times as much ammo, and my days at the range were spent from helping one child then the other then the other (and often others along with my three). I sometimes realized on the way home I hadn't fired a shot. And of course, those that shot had to be taught how to clean and properly store weapons and ammo. It was sometimes late at night before I could have my first beer. :eek:
    Soon I couldn't afford the ammo for the small army I was hauling around. Also I had to join a rod and gun club to make sure we had a save environment. I had to start reloading, first shotgun, and then pistol. Of course I had to train them the same as the guns. On occasion we would find a shotgun round with no powder, or no shot. :confused:

It seemed I spent hours, no days, hauling the tribe around, cleaning guns, reloading, hanging out together.
    :):p
    And the thanks I get. Now each of them can out shoot me in one manner or another. The oldest is 40 years old and none of them have ever had a serious accident with a firearm. They all hunt and fish and have respectable jobs. They even take me hunting with them (but I think that’s just to show me they can out shoot me.)

Okay, maybe it isn't a mistake. :):p:):)
    You done good!!
  13. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I hear ya on that one although I dont have these boys every weekend or it could get expensive.
  14. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

They are all 14 years old.Since that weekend every boy in his class wants to come over and go shooting.:)
  15. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

I have ben to the range with 68c15.
    My kids, his kids, all at the same time.
    We even end up helping with other kids that are there. (Always ask on that) help point out out what we see. That And i have more then enough small frame firearms, I bring with just in case.
    And nope me and 68 usaly don't get a chance to shoot mutch. but thats ok. we just set another date. to try again.
    One of these times we will be able to spend it shooting.