Imitation is the best form of flattery, but can you answer this question for me.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Remington597, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

The 1911 is the most successfull semiauto pistol in history and has been duplicated and cloned by countless gun makers due to its tremendous success, ie., Kimber, Paraordinance, Llama, and dozens upon dozens more.
    I was shooting my Ruger MKII the other day and could not help but think of Luger Mausers, etc, so I am thinking to myself, why has only Ruger cloned this design? As far as I am aware, they are the only ones who resemble them that closely. Its a functional and ergonomic design and I understand the lower caliber theory and the 1911 being more practical as a military sidearm, but there are plenty of folks who shoot .22 and .32, so why not market to them, for the plinking and security/light duty,backup. (shorter barrel, say from 4.75inches to 3.75 inches,), maybe I'll do it? thats a thought , ya know? Any input.
    1940's-50's Mauser Luger type and related WWII modern clones.
    [​IMG]
    MKII Ruger 4.75 inch.barrel.
    [​IMG]
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i have always fancied them ,but they are not practical ,they did have many flaws ,I still would like to run into no2 in .45 acp
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Well Remmy, if thats true....then I guess glock has been cloned and somewhat cloned.....

All kinds of polymer pistols followed the Glock....

Star of spain made a polymer pistol, Cz, S&W, Kel Tek, H&K and many others. In fact :D :D :D :D due to the popularity of polymer pistols, even Springfield Armory has even made a Glock Clone... :p :p

mike
    Glocknut !!!
  4. Remington597

There is nothing like a pre-emptive strike. I am glad you're taking it in stride. We all missed your unique wit and humor. I think some of the UK and Canadian members who browse here must think we Yankees are all nuts. They are probably right!!! :D
  5. 45shooter

45shooter New Member

Actually, Isn't the grip angle the same on the Luger as the Glock? If so, is the Glock is a Ruger clone?

Using Glocknuts reasoning, the Luger is the most copied pistol ever since it was the first sucessful autoloading design.

Anyway, other than the Ruger, I can't think of anything.
  6. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Using polymer in the manufacture of pistols lowers manufacturing costs, and increases profits. Glock, and other pistol makers, can build a plastic gun to an attractive price point and still make a buck. A consumer can buy a functional plastic weapon at a much lower lower cost than if he went out and bought a good one. Everybody's happy, everybody wins.
  7. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

glocknut,

Just a little history lesson here.

HK pioneered this use of polymer materials in the production of handguns more than 30 years ago with the development of the VP70Z and P9S pistols.

Glock did not even start making pistols, until the early 80's.

HK was the first to use polymer, beating out glock by about 10 years,
    glock is the copy-cat. ;)

Yup, imitation is the best form of flattery.
  8. Mabooger

Mabooger New Member

I think you guys are forgetting about these little gems! Sorta reminds me of a Luger! This one was made in 1952 in New Haven, Conn!

Attached Files:

• hs.JPG
      hs.JPG
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
  9. Remington597

mabooger:
    Good point, I almost forgot about the High Standard models.
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Pickenup

It don't matter to me WHO came out with polymer framed pistols first, I'm just glad they did.

mike
    gn
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Meanwhile, back at the original subject....."why has only Ruger cloned this design?"

First off, other than superficial looks, the Ruger and P08 have absolutely nothing in common. The Luger is a toggle-action (Borschardt principle), locked breech action. The Ruger is a straight, simple, blowback action. Not a single internal part of the Ruger in any way resembles a single internal part of the Luger.

OTH.....most of the 1911 Clones and copies are just that.....piece by piece copies of the original. Some have a few more bells & whistles, but internally, they're identical copies....except maybe for a long guide rod (which is really unnecessary).

Why do people copy the 1911 and not the Luger?

The 1911 is simple and easy to manufacture. The Luger is complex and expensive to manufacture.

The 1911 functions with a large variety of ammunition. The Luger is very finiky as to ammo......which is why it lost out in the 1904-05 U.S. Military Trials.

The GI 1911 was easy to take down, clean, and repair in the field. The Luger was not.

The GI 1911 will operate under a wide variety of climate extremes, and will function in dust, dirt, mud, etc. The Luger did not (and does not) function well in these extremes.....which is why it had a short service life. It was replaced by the Walther P38 in 1938....after only 30 years as a first-line issue weapon.

The 1911 design responds well to tweeking and accurizing.....the Luger does not. There's nothing anybody can do to make the Luger trigger even marginally acceptable to target shooting.

Hugo Borschardt and Georg Luger were fine designers, but neither could hold a candle to the inventive genius of John M. Browning.
  12. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Well said X!
  13. 280freak

280freak New Member

Xracer -

I was wonderin' when somebody was goin' to bring that up! Very first thing that occured to me upon starting to read this thread was "Toggle action and blowback are totally different critters; other than grip angle, where's the similarities?"
  14. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

If GP is thinkin what I think he is the Missing #2 Luger in 45ACP. I'm with him and love to find it in a junk sale.

Like X stated. Do some research you'll find that the Luger was tested for use but failed as in he stated. Luger made 2 (only 2) Chambered in .45ACP they was put thru many of test from mud to salt water With a out come of a non-realilability. It's been a few years back but the History Channel did a show about them. Your jaw would drop at the price if that missing Luger ever showed up.
  15. Remington597

Thank you all for the excellent feedback and info, its appreciated. I should have made it more clear that I was approaching it more from an aesthetic perspective rather than strictly function. I just find the Luger/Ruger design very appealing visually and ergonomically. , but as some of you have probably guessed, I have rarelly met a gun that I didn't like. A Bryco /Jennings comes to mind, Lorcin, Davis, and HiPoint, as well as the other Saturday night special garbage, except for the Intratec Protec .25ACPs, I love those.
    You guys will be glad to know that what triggered this thread was a combination of me watching Lugers on DVD in Band of Brothers when they took the Frog town of Fouye and also then going plinking with my Ruger MKII, I had a mental connection between the two. It was wonderful. History is the best part of firearms.
  16. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Attached Files:

17. Remington597

gpostal:
    Nice stock!!! :D
  18. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Gpostal

I always figured you were a little pussy !!!!! :D

mike
    gn
  19. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Erma (Germany) Cloned the Luger in .22, .32 ACP and .380, they were imported by Stoeger Arms.
  20. Remington597

22WRF:
    Thank you. I appreciate the info.

Brian