Imman. Meffert Suhl drilling

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mattman25, Dec 1, 2012.

1. mattman25

mattman25 New Member

I just got this gun from my brother and I was looking for all the info I can get. From what I have found out is that it may be earlier than 1881. Its not in the best shape the stock is broke, but its a very cool gun. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it and if its worth getting fix. serial # 17203 Thank You for your time an input. MM.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The name Immanuel Meffert turns up on a fair number of German shotguns and drillings from around 1900-1930, but that gun is a lot older than that. I can find nothing on the man himself, but think it possible that it was either a company or a family business, with the name repeating over generations.

That aside, the gun should be worth enough to justify a professional restoration, even to the expense of making a new stock. Perhaps others more familiar with those guns can recommend someone to do the work; it would not (IMHO) be a job for someone with a bottle of Elmers.

Jim
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, don't know, I have always had very good luck with duct tape and a wire brush.:eek:
  4. Treeman53

Treeman53 Member

You might be surprised what can be done with a few well placed blind pins and some wood glue....
  5. mattman25

mattman25 New Member

Thank you for the info. I have done some mesureing and what I came up with is a 18 guage double, an a 11mm rifle. Witch would put the gun in the 1880s and to greman gun collectors the are no records that go back that far for the serial number, but thank you very much. MM.