Imman. Meffert

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Suhl, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Suhl

Suhl New Member

This was handed down to me, a gun I know almost nothing about any help would be great...
    It is an over under, 16ga Over 7X57R
    Stamped with Krupp-Laufstahld (I believe is Manifacturer and type of steel)
    Also stamped Imman. Meffert, (I think is the assembler)
    Plus the name Suhl stamped on the barrell.

Any help where I need to look or who to contact would be great, I've been looking for something on line in the general area and can't find anything. Almost like this gun shouldn't exist.

Thanks,
    Brad
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Krupp Laufstahl means Krupp Barrel Steel; Krupp made the steel and sold rough barrels; they did not make small arms. Immanuel Meffert was a prominent Suhl gunmaking company, in business up to WWII. (Apparently the name was passed down in the family with several men having that name.)

Meffert made shotguns and drillings, and was one of several companies who made Walther Model 4's on subcontract when Walther couldn't keep up during WWI.

Your shotgun barrels are probably for 2 1/2 inch shells, so I recommend not firing modern 2 3/4" in them. The rifle barrel is for 7x57R, a rimmed version of the 7x57 made just for use in drillings; I don't think it can be obtained. The 7x57 will fit and fire OK, but the cases will have to be extracted with a plastic tool or a fingernail.

For more information, Google "Immanuel Meffert". Some of the links have a lot of information.

Jim
  3. WFJones

WFJones New Member

I Posted this up on The C&R Forum, and now I see that Imman Meffert is being discussed here, so just maybe, this is a better place for it:

Howdy!! Seems like a good place to ask a question:

A few years back I traded some contract construction labor for a handful of old long guns...I never bothered to look into any of them after dragging them home, since quite frankly, I wasn't interested in acquiring them in the first place---I had contracted with a nice widow lady to do some remodel work on her home, and when it came time to be paid, well...fact is, she said she didn't have enough money to cover the deal afterall---said she had been waiting for a settlement after her husband's death, and it was going to be in her hand, oh...in a month or two, etc., etc., etc...

She offered some old guns instead of cash, just to get the deal done; so I bartered for some of the long guns (she picked 'em) that her husband had left behind when he died---which was O.K. with me, since you know, much like with women and their shoes, a fella really can't ever have enough guns!!

I gave most away to good pals', sold one nice old .50 cal something-or-other to a guy who wanted it for a wall hanger, and then stuck this one I am going to ask about in my storage unit.

I kept it because it was kinda spiffy looking! Although it has been forgotten for the last 5 or 6 years---I recently cleaned out storage, and ran into it again, and this time I did research it a bit.

It is an Imman Meffert, 16 ga., "Hammer and Pin" (Pinfire), "Side-By-Each", Serial #19488 (on the butt plate), and the "last 3" of that # is also on the inside of the breech release lever (#488)---It is in really nice condition, but it does exhibit a coupla deep dings in the Monte Carlo cheek dealie on the stock; there is one pretty nasty gouge on the plate end of the butt----the barrels are straight, and dingless; have a nice patina (so far as patina's go), and overall it looks in pretty dang good condition. I figger we should all look so good when we's over a hundred!.

It doesn't have a profuse amount of engraving, but what it does have is pretty nice, and some of the checkering has just a couple "worn spots"---not down to "smooth", just "worn" pretty good, in the typical areas that get the most hand friction.

Everything seems to be in a good working condition, although, short of having black powder shells to run through the damascus barrel, one never knows if, or how it would shoot...

Anyways, does anyone have an idea of a "general value" for it, from my description? And I do know that "sight unseen", is almost worth nothing so far as formulating an opinion goes....but, maybe one of you fella's does have a "rough guideline" I can benefit from.

Also, I have been wondering if those matching "last 3" #'s under the release lever are indicative of the manufacture date for Meffert S/S shotguns?

Any info at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Jones

Again, any info will be appreciated!

Jones
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Is the gun actually pinfire, that is are the chambers notched out on top for the pin to stick up and be hit by the hammer?

If not, and it takes conventional shells, the chambers are probably 2 1/2 or 2 9/16 inches, not the 2 3/4 standard today.

Those guns are very nice and can bring some serious money. There is one on GunsAmerica with an asking price of $4950, but it is elaborately engraved and super quality.

Jim
  5. WFJones

WFJones New Member

Jim,

Thanks for the reply...Yep...it is a "Pinfire"---I've seen the one at Guns America, and have also seen that very same gun for sale elsewhere. This one is the identical shotgun, although that one at G.A. is a Higher Grade---it has the gold inlay, and a whole lot more fancy, schmancy engraving.

One thing I did note about that particular gun advertised there, is that in the close up photos the word "IMMAN" on top of the sight plane (the unribbed, rib!)is spelled with only ONE "M"...which seems rather odd to me----maybe they put out some of the earlier made guns of this same model with only ONE "M"???

Mine reads:

IMMAN MEFFERT in SUHL, and the "I" looks an awful lot like a "J", which I have also seen on other Meffert guns...

So, this is a lower Grade, without near the engraving, and no GOLD inlay! But still pretty dang nice.

Thanks again!

Jones