IMPORTANT HISTORICAL DOCUMENT QUESTION

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by MRMIKE08075, Jun 5, 2007.

1. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

before you GOOGLE the answer...

i was reading a historical treastie about the political conditions over the 10 years before the US civil war, and during the civil war...

written by 2 authors who give there views on the same topic of discussion...

one passage contained the statement "other than the issue of slavery there are only 2 fundamental differances between the Constitution of the USA and the Constitution of the CSA"

being a well read and well educated individual i was surprised to realize i had never read or seen the CSA constitution...

impossible, right???

i own copies of and have studied almost every significant historical document ever published...

MIEN KAMPF
    MAO`s LITTLE READ BOOK
    THE ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION
    THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDANCE
    LENIN, MARX, TROTSKY, MACHIEAVELLI, SUN TZU, MARCUS AURILIAS, CHE QUEVERRA, MARTIN LUTHER, ETC...

but i do not own a copy of the CSA constitition...

i own the HARVARD CLASSICS but its not in there...

i do not think i have ever seen or been exposed to it, at any time in my life.

impossible, right???

i like to think that i have read more than 99.5% of the population of North America, and very well read...

how did this happen???

i own at least 30 books that deal with the history of the Civil War...

no luck.

without GOOGLEing it, can any of you honestly say you have read this important historical document, or own a copy of it???

i find this rather disturbing.

best regards, mike.
  2. Sackett

Sackett New Member

No, I sure haven't. The only thing I've read is Mississippi's notification of secession from the Union. Due to the issue of slavery of course.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Actually, Mike, even taking several courses from the History Dept. Chairman at my college, who was published several times in/on the Civil War, I can't honestly say it was even DISCUSSED in class, or any textbooks, at least that I can remember....heck, I still have my notebooks out in the garage, I may go and dig them out....
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I admit, I have not.
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

6. allmons

allmons New Member

Strangely enough, neither have I!
  7. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

is this an accident of history, or a deliberate act???

i would consider this document to be a very important part of american history...

with all the debate over the causes of the civil war, and the fundemental differances wich lead to the secession...

would this not be a 1st tier document for study and debate among historians and in our school system???

i find it hard to believe that not one of us owns, or has read the CSA CONSTITUTION...

frankly its a bit disturbing.

can you say "conspiricy"???

how did this happen, and why did i only just now consider the issue???

your input and opinions on this subject are welcome.

best regards, mike.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  8. 191145A1

191145A1 New Member

Well, I live in Richmond so let me see if I can find it. I would imagine it would be present in several places around town, but you're right, I've never seen it in a book.
  9. The Confederate Constitution was almost a word-for-word duplicate of the U.S. Constitution. The beef the Confederates had was not primarily with the document itself, or even the basic system of government it describes, but with the increasingly Federalist interpretation of that document, a problem that still faces us today in my humble opinion. The differences that did exist--with the exception of an explicit allowance for slavery--were largely directed at limiting the power of the central government.

The president is limited to one six-year term in office.
    The president has a line-item veto.
    States are explicitly given more recourse in dealing with federal laws or officers they feel are unfair.
    Explicit support for slavery.
    All Federal laws and bills were limited to only one subject - riders were illegal - and the subject of the laws and bills had to be clearly stated in their titles.