Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ssurell
    (10/6/02 6:18:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone know how or if it's attainable?

8mm Mauser cartridges manufactured and sold legally in the US are designed to the pressures of pre-98 action models, which is the 8x57J(the 'J' stands for 'infantry'...German). In 1904 they switched to the 8x57JS(S for spitzer...aerodynamic pointed bullet) which had a higher chamber pressure taking advantage of the strong 98 actions and making a difference of around 7-800fps! Only in Europe can you get true 8x57JS rounds, unless you buy imported military surplus ammo, that I have and am sighted in for.

What I will inevitably have to do is load my own, but the season is approaching quickly. I thought it would be faster and easier to buy a box of imported German 8x57JS hunting ammo, but maybe that's not legal or somthing.

Mauser45
    (10/12/02 10:38:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ssurell,
    The 8mm is an excellent gun if you have one with a good barrel. Sounds like you will have to find a dealer that can order you some ammo from RWS or Brennecke. I think that they are still in business. How about Norma Ammo ? You shouldn't have a problem finding a dealer for them and their ammo is excellent! The down side is that European ammo costs a bundle. Don't know whether you reload or not, if not, this is the perfect excuse to start!

ssurell
    (10/17/02 1:17:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Yes, should reload
    For what I can buy a box of Norma, I can buy a set of dies AND a cut cartridge to length tool.

PoorBoy55
    (10/30/02 4:30:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?
    Stellier and Bellot makes 8mm ammo is also another option. And is not nearly as expensive as Norma. I beleive there website rated the 196gr bullet at ~2500 fps give or take. Which is much better than the American 170gr at ~2300 fps.

Richard

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/31/02 9:32:03 am)
    Ssurell.....of course you realize that the 8x57J and the 8x57JS had different bullet weights and diameters.

The original "J" had a 226 grain round nose bullet of .318 diameter. The "JS" had a 154 grain spitzer-type bullet of .323 diameter.

You can use a "J" in a "JS", but not the reverse.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/4/02 5:26:06 pm)
    What about this Igman stuff that Aim is selling? The box says 8x57mm JS. Anyone know about it?

Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/5/02 8:35:57 am)
    Don't know how good it is, but if you have a '98 (or later) Mauser, it's the type you're looking for.