1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ssurell
    (10/6/02 6:18:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone know how or if it's attainable?

8mm Mauser cartridges manufactured and sold legally in the US are designed to the pressures of pre-98 action models, which is the 8x57J(the 'J' stands for 'infantry'...German). In 1904 they switched to the 8x57JS(S for spitzer...aerodynamic pointed bullet) which had a higher chamber pressure taking advantage of the strong 98 actions and making a difference of around 7-800fps! Only in Europe can you get true 8x57JS rounds, unless you buy imported military surplus ammo, that I have and am sighted in for.

What I will inevitably have to do is load my own, but the season is approaching quickly. I thought it would be faster and easier to buy a box of imported German 8x57JS hunting ammo, but maybe that's not legal or somthing.

Mauser45
    (10/12/02 10:38:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ssurell,
    The 8mm is an excellent gun if you have one with a good barrel. Sounds like you will have to find a dealer that can order you some ammo from RWS or Brennecke. I think that they are still in business. How about Norma Ammo ? You shouldn't have a problem finding a dealer for them and their ammo is excellent! The down side is that European ammo costs a bundle. Don't know whether you reload or not, if not, this is the perfect excuse to start!

ssurell
    (10/17/02 1:17:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Yes, should reload
    For what I can buy a box of Norma, I can buy a set of dies AND a cut cartridge to length tool.

PoorBoy55
    (10/30/02 4:30:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Imported 8x57JS Hunting cartridges?
    Stellier and Bellot makes 8mm ammo is also another option. And is not nearly as expensive as Norma. I beleive there website rated the 196gr bullet at ~2500 fps give or take. Which is much better than the American 170gr at ~2300 fps.

Richard

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/31/02 9:32:03 am)
    Ssurell.....of course you realize that the 8x57J and the 8x57JS had different bullet weights and diameters.

The original "J" had a 226 grain round nose bullet of .318 diameter. The "JS" had a 154 grain spitzer-type bullet of .323 diameter.

You can use a "J" in a "JS", but not the reverse.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/4/02 5:26:06 pm)
    What about this Igman stuff that Aim is selling? The box says 8x57mm JS. Anyone know about it?

Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/5/02 8:35:57 am)
    Don't know how good it is, but if you have a '98 (or later) Mauser, it's the type you're looking for.