impossible dream?????

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by Diamondback, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

The 1950s Home
    A lot has changed in 50 years...

The following is from a 1950s Home Economics textbook intended for High School girls: "How to prepare for married life."

1. Have dinner ready: Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal, on time. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him, and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself: Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

3. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives, gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too.

4. Prepare the children: Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces if they are small, comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

5. Minimize the noise: At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of washer, dryer, dishwasher, or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad to see him.

6. Some DON'TS: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he's late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day.

7. Make him comfortable: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

8. Listen to him: You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

9. Make the evening his: Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment; instead try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his need to be home and relax.

10. The Goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can relax.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    None of that is going to happen in todays homes. However, I do remember those days with a warm heart, and pleasant memories.
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

:DJust sent it to the wife:D
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

This is most likely the best 'joke' I've heard in the Pumphouse.

:D
  5. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

doing the same thing-
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Going to send this to the ex with the note "See why we are divorced?":D:D:D
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Remote controls for TV, and air conditioning done ruined us. Time to turn off both, build some front porches and get back to being families again.
  8. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

You mean with the old hand crank ice cream makers with ice and rock salt?:eek:

Folks nowadays wave no idea what real ice cream tastes like.:(

Thanks for the refresher Grumpy... I'm off to Amazon.:)
  9. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

I love homemade ice cream, after the first time I can't eat any kind except homemade.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Amen to that! Just ate some homemade strawberry/whitechoco/almond icecream last week; nothing beats homemade goodness!

Love this time of year down here in central TX, spend much time out on the porch relaxing.

I do like a little A/C though... :D
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    With the weather we've been having here in my part of TX, the AC isn't needed too much!
  12. JoeV

JoeV Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Thanks for the great laugh Diamondback. I really needed that. That stuff was all gone by the time I married in 1972, and it's now part of ancient history. Ahhhh, how I long for the simple days when wimminz knew their place. [​IMG][​IMG]
  13. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

careful JoeV. we have some very fine 'wimminz' on this forum and they can all shoot. I suspect some of them can put me to shame.