Impressive find at the local open door range and a new friend made. Photos inside.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remington597, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I had a great time on Saturday at the local open door range. I also made a new friend. At the slot next to mine, a gentleman who I made arrangements with from another online forum to meet at this range sat down next to me and opened one of his rifle cases. What came out, elicited "ooohs" and "aaahs" from both myself and the adjacent shooters, as well as the range masters , and soon enough a cluster of folks was loitering around this poor man who just wanted to shoot:D .
    The gentleman is former AirForce and also a local Scout leader.
    He customized an Anschutz (I think a model 54, but am not a 100% sure), I think the scope is a Nikon, but again, I was so wrapped up in the moment that I forgot. The stock is a phenomenal wood ,finished to look like a marbled blue and has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. The fact that he made his own stock out of a block of wood was impressive,but the results have to be really seen to get the full aesthetic kick and the full eye appeal. My Verizon cell phone digicam does not fully take in the beauty. I have invited him to be a member here and I hope he takes more in depth photos and give us his take on it as to what inspired him and participate on this forum. Him and I were both plinking at the 25 yd range and hiting nice small bullseyes. He custom prints his at home. We had alot of fun. I had my Ruger 10/22 with me. (birch stock).
    Here are the photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

That sure is a purdy rifle. Great laminate stock. Looks like he did a great job!
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Whew, that is a beauty, as you say I hope he joins us, I'd like to see more pics.

~Crp
  4. Remington597

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I look forward to him joining. I didn't want to leave the range. There were so many beautiful firearms there.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've seen rifle stocks that have the blue in it like that......
    For the life of me, a can't figure out how you can manage to get that kind of coloration....?!!
    They don't look hand painted or anything like that...

mike
  6. Remington597

I asked him the same question glocknut. He is a very precise individual from my first impression, so I can only imagine it took alot of patience and time. It was well worth it. I wish I had that kind of patience.
  7. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Regarding the blue coloration; I have seen this on laminated stocks where thet stain wood different colors then glue them together. When shaped the color comes out as seen in this photo.

Very, very nice job. The man is truely a craftsman.

ISB
  8. Remington597

My greatest challenge would be in shaping it. My carpentry skills are minimal at best. The mechanical skills are great, but I would rather leave the carpentry to the experts.:D
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Anyone who owns an Anschutz (sp)? rifle is liable to be a precise and patient individual.....but sometimes pompus....

Some of their rifles run as high as $5000.....

I was at the range a few years back with a mac90 doing some shooting and there was this older guy there with an Anschutz all decked out...on of the expensive ones..
    We got to talking about the ammo he was using and how many different ways it was quality checked and such, and then he tells me thats why it was $20 a box for 22's....and i said i though that was'nt bad compared to that $5000 rifle of his.....
    He had a real suprised look on his face and started quizzing me on where i came up with the idea that it cost that much.....
    I explained everything i knew about the rifle, the optics he was using and that high dollar stock he had on that thing.....
    He basicly tells me that he assumed that since i was target shooting with an AK47, that he did'nt think I would know anything at all about a "quality firearm"......
    I chuckled for a second and told the old fart...that's low....
    He back peddled from there on...and i enjoyed every minute of it too...... :D

I get a kick out of some of the elitists that think that shooting can only be about "sportsmanship"...and anything over a 22 is unsportsmanlike........ ;)

Heh....ya gotta love em....

mike
  10. Remington597

Glocknut:
    Thanks for sharing that story. I've been in your shoes all too often. Elitism is a part of every hobby , but humility is something that enables us all to learn. Thats why I shoot everything from .22 to a nice 7.62 SKS. This is a wonderful hobby and I enjoy every minute off it. Most folks have full time jobs and I am one of them. There is no time for elitism and certainly no time for fools. Enjoy the hobby.

Brian.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Remington597.....

I don't know.....a little eliteism is ok...
    I'm a Glock eliteist...some folks are 1911 eliteists
    I've enjoyed that argument here from the very first poke they took at me for it.... :D :D :D :D
    Have'nt admitted that until now......
    every one of the PM's i sent out on that i was chuckling while i was typing each one of them.... :p

Like i said in my story....his eliteism led him to make a statement that was a little eliteist....i called him on it...and enjoyed every one of his....Oh Oh...I did'nt mean it that way and all his other embarrased explanations of how he did'nt mean to come across that way.....

He was'nt smart enougt to tell by the $hit eating grin on my face that I was enjoying every minute of it.....

I don't know why...but i enjoy that kind of thing... :D

mike
  12. Remington597

Well said, Glocknut. Perhaps I really don't see it that much, primarily because I love most firearms and really don't feel that passionate about one over another. I also love Glocks and their innovations. I like to look at the situation reasonably. For example, some don't like Glocks because of their revolutionary styling, their modular nature and because of the heavier concentration of plastic. I look at it more rationaly, Glocks offer dependability, precision and ergonomic styling. So, as I said, I love to look at things from every perspective.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I don't know if i should admit this.....but i'm not all that big on Glocks plastic, their supposed ergonomic styling or even their appearance......
    When i look at a glock...i don't see it as much as i see what it can do......
    Its that darn trigger mechanism that I'm just 100% absolutely addicted too!!! That half cocked double action or whatever they call it.....
    When you really learn how to use that trigger....and it takes several thousand rounds to master it.....you can really bark out all of your shots "accurately" in a very very quick ammount of time...

That G21 45 acp of mine.......I got to the point where i could be shooting from 30 feet and bark out all 13 rounds in less than 2 seconds....keeping all 13 in the center mass of the silouette paper target......

I have never been able to duplicate that with any other pistol......

Like i say that trigger and half cocked......mechanism.....i don't fully know how its arranged inside the slide...its not advised to take off that back cover on the slide....and I've never see a diagram of its innerworkings.....

But its like you can keep the pressure on the trigger the whole time and once the barrel comes back down on target it only takes a minimal of a squeeze for the next round to go off......

Once you get this perfected.....its quick...and hearing someone else do it....i swear it sounds just like a fully automatic.....

But like i say...it takes several thousand rounds to get it right and to keep the rounds on target....

Thats why when i hear the criticism of Glocks from prople who have shot them once or twice and then trade them off for something else......i can't help but think.....no...I know..they never gave them a chance.....
    Shooting a Glock is alot like a musical instrument.....you don't just pick it up and play it the first time !!!

mike
  14. Remington597

:D , you just explained why alot of law enforcement agencies use them.
  15. Doc

Doc Guest

Wow, what an introduction

Hi all, Wanted to follow up on Reminton597's introduction.

I'm the guilty party with the blue Anschutz.

It's an old 1970 Savage-Anschutz Match 64. Usually wears front and rear aperature sights. I've been wanting to try a little bench rest shooting shooting so I picked up a cheap BSA Platinum scope for it. Firtst time out was with Rem597.

The stock started as a blue/gray laminate blank from Wenig. Really wanted to try out a couple different ideas on the stock and the totally free floated barrel, tapered forarm and the rest is the result.

Had a great time building the stock. Only problem, don't think I'll ever get all the blue dust out of my garage.

I'd always wanted a rifle with an adjustable cheek peice but the costs really put me off. The one I installed on the Annie is simply about $10 worth of bits from a local hardware store.

Did discover a major problem with the stock that day. It was built for position shooting, has both some cast and cant dialed into the buttstock. On the bags, found the rifle really needed a pretty heavy hand to keep it on target. The off centerline toe really wanted to make the rifle torque and open up the groups.

Best group of the day as .18" at 25 yards. (5 shots) A couple others in hovering around .21". Not bad given the shaky benches at the range and the .44 Magnum 5 feet to my right blasting away!

Oh, the Nikon scope was on a Kimber HS that I'd just bought. Like the Annie, was on it's maiden voyage that day.

Was a great day at the range. Enjoyed meeting Remington597, looking forward to spending some time here on the forum.

Dang, this got long, sorry all!

Doc