1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Improving upon your .45 ACP;)

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/28/02 1:37:35 pm)
    Improving upon your .45 ACP ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Improving the mechanical accuracy:
    Procedure(s) % Increase
    in accuracy
    1. Tightening the slide 15%
    2. Install match grade barrel 10%
    3. Fit an accuracy bushing 20%
    4. Correct head space 10%
    5. Remove rear barrel side play 20%
    6. Perfect the vertical lock-up 20%
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Effects of shooter assist features
    on Accuracy:

1. Complete trigger job 50%
    2. Install elliason sights 25%
    3. Using quality Factory Ammo 25%
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ANY COMMENTS - please?
    ('m reasonably sure there are many more......)

Charlie D

Edited by: Different name at: 6/28/02 8:36:13 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/28/02 3:25:56 pm)
    Re: Improving upon your .45 ACP ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    that is 195% wow I got to do that stuff
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/28/02 5:14:27 pm)
    Charlie,

The mags that come with the Sistema Colts are crap,
    with any decent mags i.e. Colt/Wilson the guns run great!

Just wanted to let you know!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/28/02 7:22:56 pm)
    Charlie - learning how to aim before you fire ------priceless!!!

Yes, I know there are quite a few people out there that can do just fine - ask Bob about me and handguns - can't hit the broad side of a barn most days.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (6/28/02 9:57:01 pm)
    Reply Re: Improving upon your .45 ACP ;)
    Charlie D.

I'd do a trigger job, fit a NM bushing and install a correctly fitted barrel link. Your 1911 should shoot much better. If the groups still aren't tight enough install a Kart NM barrel. I really wouldn't worry about about the slide/ frame fit at this point unless you are going to shooting Bullseye competition. The important thing about a 1911 is that the barrel locks up the same each time.

As far as adjustable sights, I'd use Bo-Mar. Much better than the Elliason adj.

Also, you may want to checker or stipple the frontstrap on your pistol. Or even use a piece of skateboard tape accross the frontstrap. Looks good- works good . JMHO

Loki
    (7/7/02 8:00:11 pm)
    I've just started looking at 1911's, and the accurizing/modifying that's available is pretty extensive (and sometimes expensive). Are there basic pistols that start more ahead of the game than others to a significant degree? I've read stuff about STI and Valtro being inexpensive in this regard.

Any input appreciated!

--Loki

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/7/02 8:51:16 pm)
    Yes there are versions that come already accurized. I believe the Springfield Loaded model is popular and the Kimbers also.

Here is the link to Wilson Combat they are top notch.

www.wilsoncombat.com/

"I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Loki
    (7/7/02 11:10:07 pm)
    Thanks, I'm gonna go for that 195% improvement right off!

--Loki

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/8/02 7:16:54 am)
    Learning to shoot well adds another 75%.

Loki
    (7/12/02 12:22:00 am)
    OK, so what's the other 28%?

--Loki

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/12/02 7:52:38 am)
    Adding purty grips.....

John Lawson
    (9/2/02 3:47:37 pm)
    Reply Tightening the Slide?
    I challenge you to fire a pistol from a Ransom Rest, record the target, then tighten the slide and without changing anything else, show an improvement of 15% or even 1% over former accuracy.
    It is tightness of the BARREL within the slide (proper fit, no movement) that is responsible for accuracy. (Only if you have a scope or other optical sight mounted to the FRAME, will you benefit from a tighter slide.) Tightening the slide will have no effect with slide mounted sights other than expanding a gunsmith's wallet and perhaps causing malfunctions until it has loosened up.