Improving upon your .45 ACP;)

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Different name
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/28/02 1:37:35 pm)
    Improving upon your .45 ACP ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Improving the mechanical accuracy:
    Procedure(s) % Increase
    in accuracy
    1. Tightening the slide 15%
    2. Install match grade barrel 10%
    3. Fit an accuracy bushing 20%
    4. Correct head space 10%
    5. Remove rear barrel side play 20%
    6. Perfect the vertical lock-up 20%
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Effects of shooter assist features
    on Accuracy:

1. Complete trigger job 50%
    2. Install elliason sights 25%
    3. Using quality Factory Ammo 25%
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ANY COMMENTS - please?
    ('m reasonably sure there are many more......)

Charlie D

Edited by: Different name at: 6/28/02 8:36:13 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (6/28/02 3:25:56 pm)
    Re: Improving upon your .45 ACP ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    that is 195% wow I got to do that stuff
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Tac401
    Administrator
    (6/28/02 5:14:27 pm)
    Charlie,

The mags that come with the Sistema Colts are crap,
    with any decent mags i.e. Colt/Wilson the guns run great!

Just wanted to let you know!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/28/02 7:22:56 pm)
    Charlie - learning how to aim before you fire ------priceless!!!

Yes, I know there are quite a few people out there that can do just fine - ask Bob about me and handguns - can't hit the broad side of a barn most days.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (6/28/02 9:57:01 pm)
    Reply Re: Improving upon your .45 ACP ;)
    Charlie D.

I'd do a trigger job, fit a NM bushing and install a correctly fitted barrel link. Your 1911 should shoot much better. If the groups still aren't tight enough install a Kart NM barrel. I really wouldn't worry about about the slide/ frame fit at this point unless you are going to shooting Bullseye competition. The important thing about a 1911 is that the barrel locks up the same each time.

As far as adjustable sights, I'd use Bo-Mar. Much better than the Elliason adj.

Also, you may want to checker or stipple the frontstrap on your pistol. Or even use a piece of skateboard tape accross the frontstrap. Looks good- works good . JMHO

Loki
    (7/7/02 8:00:11 pm)
    I've just started looking at 1911's, and the accurizing/modifying that's available is pretty extensive (and sometimes expensive). Are there basic pistols that start more ahead of the game than others to a significant degree? I've read stuff about STI and Valtro being inexpensive in this regard.

Any input appreciated!

--Loki

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/7/02 8:51:16 pm)
    Yes there are versions that come already accurized. I believe the Springfield Loaded model is popular and the Kimbers also.

Here is the link to Wilson Combat they are top notch.

www.wilsoncombat.com/

"I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Loki
    (7/7/02 11:10:07 pm)
    Thanks, I'm gonna go for that 195% improvement right off!

--Loki

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/8/02 7:16:54 am)
    Learning to shoot well adds another 75%.

Loki
    (7/12/02 12:22:00 am)
    OK, so what's the other 28%?

--Loki

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/12/02 7:52:38 am)
    Adding purty grips.....

John Lawson
    (9/2/02 3:47:37 pm)
    Reply Tightening the Slide?
    I challenge you to fire a pistol from a Ransom Rest, record the target, then tighten the slide and without changing anything else, show an improvement of 15% or even 1% over former accuracy.
    It is tightness of the BARREL within the slide (proper fit, no movement) that is responsible for accuracy. (Only if you have a scope or other optical sight mounted to the FRAME, will you benefit from a tighter slide.) Tightening the slide will have no effect with slide mounted sights other than expanding a gunsmith's wallet and perhaps causing malfunctions until it has loosened up.