The Firearms Forum banner

IMR 4064 reloading for remington 7mm mag

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  74 Superlead 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used this powder for bullets larger than 130gr 7mm mag load? I like shooting the 140gr silvertips but I'm concerned because the Hodgdon data page states that you should not exceed a 130gr weight bullet.

This powder works for my .308 and 30-06. Was hoping that it would meet my needs with the 7mm mag.

#2 ·
That is a pretty fast burning powder for the 7mmRemMag. I don't have any data for that powder with any bullet weights in any of my manuals. The Hodgdon site is the only place I'm seeing that powder/cartridge combo. With the 130grs, in comparing it's performance with slower powders like H4350 or H4831 it's making pretty high pressure to get a similar velocity.

If possible, I would try to find a different powder that's slower burning.
H4831 is my go-to for the little bit of 7mmRemMag loading I do (also with 140gr bullets).
A friend of mine uses either H4831, IMR4831, or RL22 for his hunting loads.

#4 ·
Yep I really like IMR4831, and H4831 for my 7mm RM loads. I'm also liking what I see from Retumbo behind 160gr pills. I'm getting great velocity, great accuracy, and my barrel seems to not heat up as much. As soon as I find so e Nosler 160gr Accubonds, I will revisit this load.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.