The Firearms Forum banner

In load development process, stumbled upon this one

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
I'm working through a load development for my .308 Winchester with 175 grain Matchkings. The final powder option was IMR 4350, and today was my first time shooting this powder.
The first group I shot was this...

That's the best load I have ever just stumbled on before. I'm trying other charges too, because this one has too low of a velocity for my liking. But still, it's impressive. Does anybody else shoot .308 winchester with IMR 4350?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes it just happens like that,I use IMR-4350 in a 243 with similar results. One thing you will find after quiet a few years on the reloading bench is that fastest is not alway the most accurate.

Depending on your intended targets it want notice a couple 100 fps less MV. I guess it depends on what your looking for in a load. Speed and accuracy doesn't always go hand in hand sometimes you can get both sometimes not.

Good group if you like trying other powder in the 308 try some Reloader #15,it's what the US military uses in there 308 sniper ammo.

#4 ·
I just mentioned that this one wasn't fast enough because I am trying to develop a load that works up close and at long distances (up to 800 yards). The velocity on this load is only around 2350 (as per Sierra's manual). I hit on another accuracy node around 2575 that I am going to play around with. This group surprised me though because it was the first, and things don't just work like that, normally anyways.

#5 ·
you get lucky sometimes. enjoy it and make a note of the load for future use...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.