In need of help identifying my revolver.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Revolver02, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Revolver02

Revolver02 New Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am assuming you are calling it a 1896 because that is the latest patent date marked on it. it does have the appearance of a black powder revolver that was fired and not cleaned every time. i believe what you actually have is a second model 5th variation manufactured between 1894 and 1904. even with the longer barrel and it appears to be mother of pearl grips i doubt it will bring much more that the 60% value.

AUTOMATIC EJECTING SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME TARGET LOGO GRIPS) (BLACK POWDER) ---------------------------------1890-1904
    New frame shape and new hard rubber grip panels with Target Logo, Auto-ejecting mechanism, Calibers 32 S&W, 6 shot cylinder capacity, 38 S&W caliber 5 shot cylinder capacity, nickel finish (blue optional), barrel lengths of 2½ (rare), 3¼ (standard), 4, 5 & 6 inches available, “IF THERE IS NO CALIBER MARKING ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL THEN IT WAS MANUFACTURED FOR BLACK POWDER”
    Top of barrel markings include company name and address and patent dates.
    First Variation; one patent date OCT-4-87 only----------1890-1892
    Second Variation one patent date marked OCT-4-1887 (year marked in full)--------1890-1892*
    Third Variation three patent dates, Oct-4-1887, May 14 & Aug-6-89------1893-Only*
    Fourth Variation three patent dates Oct-4-87, May-14 & Aug-6-89 (note 87 date des not have full year markings)--------1894-1896*
    Fifth Variation five patent dates Oct-4-87, May 14 & Aug-6-89, April-2-95, April-7-96--------1897-1904*
    *Serial numbers found on the bottom side of the top strap will have letter codes with them.
    VALUE 100%=$225 60%=$85 For all Auto-Ejecting 2nd Models; add 75% premium for 2½” barrel; add 25% for 4”, 5” & 6” barrels; add 15% for blue finish; add 10% for 1st , 2nd, 3rd & 4th variations with nickel trigger guard on nickel finish pieces

bill
  3. Revolver02

Revolver02 New Member

Hey, Thank oyou very much for the information. I was wondering, Do you know how much i could get for it? Thanks again.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

In the condition, as it appears in the pictures, and not being able to see the condition of the left side - it appears to be a $125 item.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It may be a matter of geography, but around this area most of those guns won't bring any more than $50-75 unless in like new condition, and that is a retail price. Most dealers won't take them in trade because they can't sell them for enough to cover the cost of the paperwork involved.

Worse, if a customer buys one, and it breaks, then the dealer has to make good. Gunsmiths won't touch them, as parts are not available, and most repairs would cost more than the gun is worth. Many times, after a customer begs a gunsmith to fix his "heirloom" gun, and the smith does so and gives out the bill for several hours of labor, the formerly eager customer tells the smith where to put the "old piece of junk."

A gun that has been in the family may well have sentimental value, but that does not translate into dollars.

Jim