In search of your links and knowledge about some specifics

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by darkwolf210, Dec 9, 2010.

1. darkwolf210

darkwolf210 New Member

Hello all again! It's been a while since ive posted here, but i keep up with everyones elses posts pretty frequently. I apologize if this isn't the place for my post, maybe an admin can direct me where this would better be suited. Theres my disclaimed.

Ok simply, I really want to learn more about firearms, I want to make it my passion and my hobby. I'd really appreciate and links you've come across to help me to that effect with a few topics or pictures of the said items. Here goes!

1. Is there any good links for the latest self defense items out there? Kevlar included, and firearms? (maybe like a review place would be perfect)

2. Is there any beginners guides to making bullets? or anything on making bullets? (I hear making your own bullets allows you to save alot of money and to be even more efficient in a tactical situation that you prepared for with custom loads)

3. Information on the latest gear that I can't get my hands on because i'm not law enforcement or government. (mostly wanting pictures of the newest gear out there or information on it)

4. Does anyone know if theres any training spots that dont cost and arm and a leg to go too and provide real tactical simulations and training? (i'd really like to attend one and post about it here)

That's all, I have a million things on my mind that I want to post and do but i'll spare everyone here my wrath. :) Thanks alot guys!
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Just go back to the front page and go down the list of different topics you can post on. In the ammo section, LDBennet has a bunch of stickys posted explaing a bunch of good info for beginners, just don't mention (LEE equipment)!:D
    There is a self defense section where you can look for that which you seek. Just ask and someone will be able to direct you to the info you require. As for wrath, use it sparingly and be nice and respectful and you will recieve the same. This is a great forum and Welcome to it Darkwolf
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If youre really wanting to become intimately knowledged about firearms and everything about them, take a gunsmithing course. There are many to choose from, I have taken several. A good and inexpensive place to start is the penn-foster gunpro tradeschool program.
    http://www.pennfoster.edu/gunsmith/index.html

good luck and enjoy the hobby. I absolutely love it. :)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think the OP is talking about reloading ammunition when he refers to "making bullets."

There is a lot of info on reloading and the best place to find it is in a reloading manual or in the Digest book on reloading. The NRA also has a book on reloading. Most of the books cover the whole subject from the basics for the beginner up to detailed charts.

Jim
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you are probably right jim, i get that now that i go back and read over it again. I been doin this too long now, I have forgotten the newbie terms. ;)
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

On TV, "bullet" has become a generic term for anything associated with ammunition, from a shotgun pellet to an empty case. One newscaster reported with shock and horror that a "shortgun" could fire hundreds of bullets at one time, each capable of penetrating a block of buildings! Next step - demand for a ban on "shortguns."

Jim
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hahaha we had a "assault rifle found in park" story last week some gardener working in a park dug up a very old .22 single shot , maybe a old old browning , but the press called it a assault rifle ... it would make a good club once maybe .. so possible to assault someone with it , i think thats how the media works

but when they found a old 250 lb japanese bomb on a building site some idiot wanted it saved as hostoric until told if he filed it he'd have to take it hom,e with him to keep it safe .. he shut up and the press did not even report it in the paper .. nuts
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

HA! I hear it all the time, folks come into the shop sayin they need 180 gr .30-06 bullets because they need that 180 grains of powder to drop a deer. or they want a box of shotgun bullets. Makes me chuckle inside...

BTW, Jack, your assault rifle story reminds me of an anti-aircraft rifle story that came across the news here in the DFW area about 2 years ago. Some poor sap was stopped by Airport police for speeding, he had an old .50 cal flntlock replica in the back of his car, well by the time the media got ahold of it it was a .50 cal anti aircraft weapon and the guy was being held on suspicion of possible terrorism. Idiots!